BUG: DNF drafts converting into founds

sernikk

Opening a draft which is a DNF, opens the logging page, but with the cache marked as found. The funny part is, that you can't even change it, because the field is inactive.

obraz.png.53477553e658c3d30409bb89d5e9ded2.png

---

obraz.png.f5f7dfa80564ab0b996869c0a711dc60.png

Anyone else has this problem?

I'm using firefox, but my friends have no problem on changing logtype.

Edited by sernikk
  • Helpful 1

Yes, I have this problem on Firefox, too. I wanted to write a note on a page but I wasn't getting the drop down menu to change away from 'found it'. I tried Chrome and it works there. However, what I actually did was (on Firefox) 'opt out' of the 'new look' for logging and then I could change the type.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would prefer DNFs not to be able to be changed into a found. People should have to write a new log. Otherwise, this could be a sneaky way for people to get founds, when they didn't find it.

This is not about changing the type of an existing log. It's about the fact that it's impossible to post a DNF log or note on a cache page because the only option for a new log is 'found it'. So far the problem only exists on Firefox when using the 'new look' for logging.

• Upvote 2

this "new look" went live back in 2017, didn't it ?  I haven't changed anything, logged without problem using Firefox on the website when I found some caches back in October, but today I am having the same issue, unable to change the log type so that I can log a note.

eta: I did post a DNF and notes in October, not just found.

Edited by _dxd_
3 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

It's not just happening on drafts, it's on all logs entered on the new logging page. Clicking on the drop-down arrow next to the default log type does nothing so the log type can't be changed. I'm using Firefox 82.0.2 on Windows 10.

Same problem for me on the same browser.

I fortunately only had 1 DNF today, but to log it I had to temporarily switch back to the old logging system to be able to change my log type.

Bunch of new additions to the "Found It = Didn't Find It" thread coming soon...

8 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It's not just happening on drafts, it's on all logs entered on the new logging page. Clicking on the drop-down arrow next to the default log type does nothing so the log type can't be changed. I'm using Firefox 82.0.2 on Windows 10.

image.png.c15332da411b93fa1731f64d17cb26e6.png

Yes, later this day I noticed it happens even on logging caches not from draft list.

You can only log Founds, and on events only "Attended".

The only workaround which is pretty quick is to log the cache as it is and then changing logtype, because the editpage is old and functional, not like the new one which only looks good.

I have this problem too.  I made a draft in the Geocaching APP with a DNF log.  When I go into my drafts on PC Windows 10 and Firefox version 82.0.2 the cache is marked with a DNF log.  But when I click on the link compose log for that cache I get to the new log page and the log type is set to found it.  I'm not able to change that log to a DNF log.  Please fix this issue.  I want to be able to log my DNF drafts as DNF logs using the drafts on PC.

This problem is happening to me too (15:01 GMT, 06-Nov-2020). I have just posted the logs for my last caching trip, only to find that the 3 DNFs have been posted as 'Found it's - much to my embarrassment!

This is happening on both the 'old' and 'new' Draft pages and using both Firefox 82 and Chrome 86. The geocache_visits file from my GPSr marks the cache as 'Didn't find it'...

801116745_Drafttext.jpg.5069989267c0bf48cc7154315c24f5f4.jpg

and when uploaded to the Draft page, appears as such -

Draft.jpg.8e626596630d0e7b35d8eb552d59e308.jpg

but when I go to compose the log, the logtype becomes 'Found it'.

Found.jpg.764ba7cbe160cabe7c666c9d31d535ed.jpg

The only difference I can report from the experiences of others in this post is that I have been able to use the drop-down box to change the logtype to 'Didn't Find it'

DNF.jpg.ee1ab68d46c19376a3e40c43f8a2b1c7.jpg

I have subsequently been able to edit the logs but this issue really needs to get fixed.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

My DNF yesterday arrived on the site as a Found log.  It was sent as a Draft from The Official App.  I didn't observe the point of transformation, just noticed that the log had become a Found log once posted, so I deleted it and made a correct one.  Weird.

This did not occur with two DNFs I made on November 4th.

I had this problem today also. Logged in the Garmin Device as DNF.

In the website's Drafts section, it's shown as DNF.

When you log the cache, it says Found!

On macOS 11 using Safari the Found can be changed to DNF, but there's a high risk of false logging...

This has happened to me twice, last week and yesterday.  I use the old version of drafts with Chrome.  All DNFs get converted to finds when I go to post them.  I can correct them back to DNFs before I finish the post, but this is a serious problem.  Is HQ aware?  If so, when will it be fixed?

Edited by Ocean Lovers

This same problem started for me a week or so ago. I make a DNF draft on the geocaching app and when I go to the computer and click on the draft, the Found it is selected in the draft. Yes, I can change it, IF I remember to look for that however, this feature has always worked before until now.  I am using Windows 10 with latest chrome browser.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:55 AM, Ocean Lovers said:

This has happened to me twice, last week and yesterday.  I use the old version of drafts with Chrome.  All DNFs get converted to finds when I go to post them.  I can correct them back to DNFs before I finish the post, but this is a serious problem.  Is HQ aware?  If so, when will it be fixed?

This is still a problem today!

Some friends of mine experienced the same problem, so I tried it myself. The screenshots of @mellers are relevant for what we experience. The select field shows the standard "found it" value ="2". I think that "selected" is forgotten in the source code. 

I tried it using Safari on iPad and Google Chrome in Win10, I can change the log type, but I can't remember we had to be careful and had to change it manually before.

draftdnf.png

Out of interest I tested this today:

• I created and uploaded 2 drafts on the same cache, a DNF and a Found It.
  • When I went to log the DNF draft the activity was changed to "Found It", though the dropdown was enabled and I could have changed it to DNf. I abandoned logging this Draft.
  • I then logged the Found It draft.
  • I then went back to attempt to log the DNF draft and this time the activity was changed to "Write Note", though again the dropdown was enabled and I could have changed it to DNF.
  • Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Out of interest I tested this today:

• I created and uploaded 2 drafts on the same cache, a DNF and a Found It.
  • When I went to log the DNF draft the activity was changed to "Found It", though the dropdown was enabled and I could have changed it to DNf. I abandoned logging this Draft.
  • I then logged the Found It draft.
  • I then went back to attempt to log the DNF draft and this time the activity was changed to "Write Note", though again the dropdown was enabled and I could have changed it to DNF.

Indeed. It seems like they fixed the dropdown being locked and now you can change at least the logtype. But as you've said, all drafts still convert into Founds

5 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

I then went back to attempt to log the DNF draft and this time the activity was changed to "Write Note", though again the dropdown was enabled and I could have changed it to DNF.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I made a DNF draft of a cache I had previously found.  At the log edit page, it has changed it "Write Note".  The original Draft remained "Did Not Find", it changes when I click to type the log.

Some years ago it was possible to log several finds on one cache. Luckily (!) this has changed as there is no need for multiple found logs. So if you have any found it in your drafts but you found logged the cache before the log type automatically changes to note as there aren't multiple found logs possible.

So in this case you want to log the DNF. The bug occurs and changes the log type to found it. The normal algorithm sees the found it on a cache you already found - and changes the found it log type to note.

First thing is still a bug, the last one it a feature which is very useful.

Jochen

Phew! Glad this was already reported. It's happened a couple of times, and just this past weekend I noticed it (the first time I just thought I made an error and fixed the log) and felt I should report it as a bug. Looks like it's been around for weeks! :o And still not properly fixed? ...

I even got called out by a friend who was watching the cache I DNF'd wondering why my Find log was so strange. :laughing:

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Fields111 said:

Well, 1 month has passed and the bug still there. I don't understand why this feature became a bug. This is very annoying because one may not detect that and will trick other geocachers that see Founds when there may be DNFs.

I'm logging my DNF's as Found all the time. I have to change it back later when I realize. Very annoying :unsure:

• Upvote 1
On 12/4/2020 at 7:01 PM, ecanderson said:

@thebruce0

How about you report my post up in the upper right to see if anyone is paying attention.  Make up whatever reason you like!

I just reported your post and about a dozen others in this thread.  I had also just checked one of my DNF drafts and the problem still exists.  This is extremely annoying.

Edited by Ocean Lovers
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Abuse of the "Report this Post" feature will not be tolerated.  All that this futile action accomplished was to place a long list of spam emails in the inboxes of dozens of volunteer forum moderators around the world.  Forum moderators, like RuideAlmeida and myself, are geocachers just like the rest of the participants in this thread.  We have no means of getting the right hamsters to run in the correct direction on the right wheels.

Only Geocaching HQ can fix this issue.  A Lackey acknowledged the bug in November and I know that, as of last Monday, HQ's engineering team is still actively working on it.  Geocaching HQ's protocol is to report back once the bug is fixed.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
13 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Abuse of the "Report this Post" feature will not be tolerated.  All that this futile action accomplished was to place a long list of spam emails in the inboxes of dozens of volunteer forum moderators around the world.  Forum moderators, like RuideAlmeida and myself, are geocachers just like the rest of the participants in this thread.  We have no means of getting the right hamsters to run in the correct direction on the right wheels.

Only Geocaching HQ can fix this issue.  A Lackey acknowledged the bug in November and I know that, as of last Monday, HQ's engineering team is still actively working on it.  Geocaching HQ's protocol is to report back once the bug is fixed.

Thanks for the information.  I did not know that this would cause such a problem.  I will not do this again.  I apologize for the inconvenience.  In the meantime, it is good to know that the problem is being addressed, and I look forward to seeing it solved. 

On 11/6/2020 at 4:15 PM, mellers said:

This problem is happening to me too (15:01 GMT, 06-Nov-2020). I have just posted the logs for my last caching trip, only to find that the 3 DNFs have been posted as 'Found it's - much to my embarrassment!

This is happening on both the 'old' and 'new' Draft pages and using both Firefox 82 and Chrome 86. The geocache_visits file from my GPSr marks the cache as 'Didn't find it'...

801116745_Drafttext.jpg.5069989267c0bf48cc7154315c24f5f4.jpg

and when uploaded to the Draft page, appears as such -

Draft.jpg.8e626596630d0e7b35d8eb552d59e308.jpg

but when I go to compose the log, the logtype becomes 'Found it'.

Found.jpg.764ba7cbe160cabe7c666c9d31d535ed.jpg

The only difference I can report from the experiences of others in this post is that I have been able to use the drop-down box to change the logtype to 'Didn't Find it'

DNF.jpg.ee1ab68d46c19376a3e40c43f8a2b1c7.jpg

I have subsequently been able to edit the logs but this issue really needs to get fixed.

Exactly what @mellers is describing. I, too, use the old Field notes page. DNF gets recognized with blue frowning face and all, but when the logging page is opened, it is converted into a found it :o.

Like @mellers I am able to change the log type using the drop-down menu before logging but I have to be alert to what the correct value was in order for this to work.

@Geocaching HQ: Please prioritize. This has worked for years and was by all accounts only broken recently.