Cardinal Directions Dropped in Search

ralverde

I have been having an issue with searching from the homepage where it either drops the west indicator (whether entering as - or W, e.g. -122° 45.000 or W 122° 45.000 search as + or E), or possibly just searches the wrong (I haven't determined for sure where it is throwing the search).  This happens only when entering in decimal minutes, and not in decimal degrees, and it doesn't happen every time.  I would estimate it happens about 1 in 25-50 times.  When converting the coordinates from decimal minutes to decimal degrees, there is never an issue, but I would obviously prefer to use the format I have without converting every time.  I'd ask if anyone has a solution, but it has been too consistent to think it is anything other than a bug with the website.  I am attaching screen shots that show no search results, and background maps that are clearly not where the search is (I have limited it to where it should be, which is Texas).  Both are the same, except using W instead of -, and they actually come up with two different locations.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 10.29.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 10.29.43 AM.png

Probably the problem is related to the lack of one digit in the minute field... but... when I try "05" or "50", the result is the same. 558 caches (close to your location). So it seems to have a bug... because if I do like you, with only "5" the result is 896 caches (far, far away). :o

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Helpful 1

Yes, it looks like the problem is when there is a zero in the minutes field.  I'm not sure where it goes when this happens (in the attached case, it appears to be somewhere around 42.048333, -84.415212, which is in Michigan and not Texas where the coordinates actually are), and it doesn't happen every time (I entered the exact same coordinates about 15 minutes later, and it worked).  Looks like just a complete bug, and I'm not sure I can figure out any pattern to it without seeing the code behind it.

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.35.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.35.48 AM.png