Armchair logging

longwhatton34

Is anything being done to address the issue of armchair logging of ALs? Some people are clearly getting round the fact that geocaching is supposed to get you outside by spoofing their location on (usually) Android devices and completing them from home with the help of someone who has done it properly and the posted the answers online. Some of these cheaters even have ALs of their own and appear fine with others cheating to complete them. Is there a way of preventing the app from working if a GPS spoofing app is also running?

Edited by longwhatton34
9 minutes ago, longwhatton34 said:

Is anything being done to address the issue of armchair logging of ALs? Some people are clearly getting round the fact that geocaching is supposed to get you outside by spoofing their location on (usually) Android devices and completing them from home with the help of someone who has done it properly and the posted the answers online. Some of these cheaters even have ALs of their own and appear fine with others cheating to complete them. Is there a way of preventing the app from working if a GPS spoofing app is also running?

No there is not. 

And with no public logs, there is no community oversight to what is going on.... at least with armchair logging of caches, it becomes apparent on notification logs - CO and players. Maybe once AL's 'join' the main map, this may change? I fear these things are going to slowly devour our game..... :(

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, lee737 said:

And with no public logs, there is no community oversight to what is going on.... at least with armchair logging of caches, it becomes apparent on notification logs - CO and players. Maybe once AL's 'join' the main map, this may change? I fear these things are going to slowly devour our game..... :(

Yeah. On both mine, there was someone from Sydney who went through four of the five locations within a few hours of them going live but never did the fifth location. The first time I thought they might have just happened to be visiting the area when it went live, but when the same thing happened on the second one I started getting suspicious, particularly as the two locations they missed are the ones that would be hardest to either find the answer online or just guess. That person has 162 AL "finds" so I don't know, maybe they really did happen to be in the area on both occasions and were totally stumped at those two locations (not sure why, though, as the answers are pretty obvious if you're actually there), or maybe they're just doing some spoofing because they can. Who knows? Unless they complete all the stages and write a log, only the CO can see any of their activity and then only if they're in the first three at the individual locations, and even if it was more visible there's nothing the CO can do about it anyway, other than start a brawl at an event they attend I suppose.

One thing that could be addressed that would at least slow them down is to put some restriction on the number of guesses that can be made within a reasonable time interval. With apparently no limits, anything with a numeric answer less than a few hundred can be readily guessed by trial and error. Yes, I know numeric answers are probably not a good idea but at some locations there's not much else you can reasonably ask.

I wasn't even aware we could see who had done the individual 'caches' in an AL - I'll have a look.

I think the logging should be revamped, be able to require a photo and proper notified public logs for each stage, after all, you're getting a find, at least do *something* for it.....

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

So pleased I did not publish the AL I was given. With a cache I checked yesterday I found five signatures missing. One had sent me proof of find before logging and I accepted that, but the other four I messaged. If they don't supply proof (my guess is most won't reply), at least I can delete those. One I know is a serial non-signer, if she can't find the cache. If she visits a location and can't find the cache, that's a find to her. Those sort of people will LOVE ALs. ALs have been designed for just such cheaters.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, arisoft said:

I think that this issue is "solved" by not disclosing too much details about ALC players. Everybody must solve remaining issues by themselves.

The issue will be solved when CO will have control over logs. I don't know why you consider the issue of armchair logging already solved.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

The issue will be solved when CO will have control over logs. I don't know why you consider the issue of armchair logging already solved.

There is no issues with this armchair activity because the cache owner don't know who got the points from the ALC and has nothing to report.

Nobody is forcing you to participate any armchair adventure lab activity.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:56 PM, arisoft said:

There is no issues with this armchair activity because the cache owner don't know who got the points from the ALC and has nothing to report.

Nobody is forcing you to participate any armchair adventure lab activity.

Well now that we have access to Players Statistics I now know that I got 2 armchairs logger on my 1st AL from Latvia including one that finish it under 5 minutes.... Is there are a way to report them?

Quote from IceColdUK :

Something I learned on Facebook...  Go to the Main Page for your Adventure - the URL will begin 'https://labs.geocaching.com/builder/adventures/details/'.  Replace 'details' with 'StatisticsPlayer', et voila: a CSV file with full stats for your Adventure!

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1