northeast fla, gainesville, ocala earthday cleanup

the federation

If you want to cleanup the St. Johns River Water Management District lands, I would recommend doing it on March 15th. That's when they have their big river cleanup celebration. All you have to do is show up at one of the staging areas along the river and they'll have folks there handing out garbage bags, reflective vests and gloves. Some of the places will offer boat rides to get to the places that need cleaning up. The clean up lasts for about 4 hours and then they have a cookout afterwards at some designated park. It's a lot of fun and you get a free T-shirt too.

The Boonie Man

A free Tshirt? I'm in! Where do we go in the SJRWMD? Is there a specific meeting point.

quote:
Originally posted by The Boonie Man:

If you want to cleanup the St. Johns River Water Management District lands, I would recommend doing it on March 15th. That's when they have their big river cleanup celebration. All you have to do is show up at one of the staging areas along the river and they'll have folks there handing out garbage bags, reflective vests and gloves. Some of the places will offer boat rides to get to the places that need cleaning up. The clean up lasts for about 4 hours and then they have a cookout afterwards at some designated park. It's a lot of fun and you get a free T-shirt too.

The Boonie Man

The Riverfest idea sounds pretty good, but I think the federation was referring to Cache In Trash Out for Earth Day, as proposed by Jeremy. I may go help out with the river cleanup now that I know about it though - I like free t-shirts. icon_biggrin.gif

One idea that I've seen a couple of people mention for their areas is to contact the state park system for ideas on areas that need cleaning. We could help the parks and ourselves if we did such a thing - they get a cleaned up park, and we help geocaching make/keep a good name for the activity.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

quote:
Originally posted by the federation:

the lazy cachers told me that suburban isles park on the southside was in dire need of cleanup. have not seen much activity on this post do we want to work or not jacksonville

boldly going where others have gone before

meadowmuffin and I are planning on helping out - just haven't been able to think of any parks that really need a cleaning. I haven't heard of suburban isles, but if that's what we all decide on (not that many jacksonville cachers post in the forums...) that's fine with me.

Have you heard anything from the parks department?

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

How about some place in the Ocala National Forest. Every time I go out there I'm saddened by how much garbage is tossed into the rivers or dumped along the roads. I picked up over 3 bags worth of garbage by Rock's Hickory Landing Cache (GC166D) and there was still plenty left lying around. I would think the area around Rock's Redneck Oasis Cache (GC404D) would be a nice place to clean up. I'm sure there's plenty of bear cans and bottles tossed around that popular swimming hole.

I'm definitely willing to get my hands dirty to make a park look nice. Count me in.

The Boonie Man