Oregon 700 - unreliability

muffinn

Bought in June - My fourth GPS in many years but this one profoundly let me down. It just froze after a day or two of a month away!!!

It spoiled my holiday!

Have others had problems?

I was advised that files were corrupt and needed their Garmin GPS lead and a computer to fix...like I would have this on a hiking holiday!!!

What would users suggest. I have had my confidence greatly shaken in Garmin.

I would certainly not recommend this product for this and other reasons too.

1. Was it updated to the latest firmware release before you left for your trip?

2. When you say it froze on day two, where you able to restart the device at all?

3. Did you have files loaded manually to the device? Were they on a microSD card or internal memory?

4. What was the exact source for the files loaded?

5. What steps did you take to restore proper function after the 'freeze'?

6. What other issues did you experience that were not to your liking?

It has long been common knowledge among Garmin users that the best practice is to load all data to a microSD card, so that in the event that some data is or becomes an issue in the field, the user can simply remove the microSD card and reboot the device and continue on their way!

It is almost always an issue with a user generated file that causes these devices to crash, so following the above suggested practice can alleviate a lot of frustration!

You will not find any reasonable options outside of Garmin. They have run all their competitors out of business by producing superior hardware, and (eventually) stable software.

The Oregon 7x0 is my number one recommended GPSr for geocaching as it is a very mature and stable platform. There are newer options, but none as well tested and verified.

As my OR600 before my OR700 occasionally freezes (can only be switched off by removing the batteries) or switches off by itself for no reason (OK, there's probably a reason but it's not obvious).

Although it's a nuisance when the GPS crashes or locks up I've always been able to get it going again. Worst case was my OR600 that would not restart and I had to connect it to my tablet with the SD card removed when out in the field.

Anyway, the OR700 is the best GPS I ever had in the last 21 years.

My 600 freezes often... often enough to be annoying, but not often enough to make the device unusable. It's often geocaching related, though it could be map related too. I use user-generated maps.

I almost never have data issues like I had with the Oregon 450 where geocaches loaded just wouldn't appear. But I still store my data on a microSD card just in case.

17 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I almost never have data issues like I had with the Oregon 450 where geocaches loaded just wouldn't appear. But I still store my data on a microSD card just in case.

Common problem with common solution, if you still have it.

NEVER physically disconnect the USB cable from a 450 after loading caches UNTIL the device has been logically disconnected by the operating system (typically using the USB device icon in the sys tray, or 'eject' from My Computer/This PC).   Win10 claims to resolve this by avoiding cached writes, but I still took no chances.  My caching buddy and I experienced this several times until we made the association.  Never after that did we ever have an issue.  Doesn't fail every time this way, but more than 1 time in 10 for us. 

I always eject my devices/drives. I don't think that was the problem with the Oregon 450. It seems like every now and then it just fails to update the database correctly. Which is why in the field, the remove and replace the SD card fixes the problem. And at home, plug in and delete the SQL folder.

1. Was it updated to the latest firmware release before you left for your trip? YES

2. When you say it froze on day two, where you able to restart the device at all? The Garmin splash screen then nothing beyond

3. Did you have files loaded manually to the device? Were they on a microSD card or internal memory? ON MICRO SD CARD

4. What was the exact source for the files loaded? MAP FILE AND GPX GEOCACHES FROM GEOCACHING.COM

5. What steps did you take to restore proper function after the 'freeze'? REMOVED CARD AND TRIED TO RESET - WOULD NOT RESET

6. What other issues did you experience that were not to your liking? LOSING  SETTGINGS, BATTERY LIFE

GARMIN SUGGESTED USING THE GARMIN USB CABLE - NOW HOME AND TRIED 4 USB PORTS AND NONE OF THEM "FIND" THE GARMIN. 

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

THANKS

22 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

1. Was it updated to the latest firmware release before you left for your trip?

2. When you say it froze on day two, where you able to restart the device at all?

3. Did you have files loaded manually to the device? Were they on a microSD card or internal memory?

4. What was the exact source for the files loaded?

5. What steps did you take to restore proper function after the 'freeze'?

6. What other issues did you experience that were not to your liking?

It has long been common knowledge among Garmin users that the best practice is to load all data to a microSD card, so that in the event that some data is or becomes an issue in the field, the user can simply remove the microSD card and reboot the device and continue on their way!

It is almost always an issue with a user generated file that causes these devices to crash, so following the above suggested practice can alleviate a lot of frustration!

You will not find any reasonable options outside of Garmin. They have run all their competitors out of business by producing superior hardware, and (eventually) stable software.

The Oregon 7x0 is my number one recommended GPSr for geocaching as it is a very mature and stable platform. There are newer options, but none as well tested and verified.

48 minutes ago, muffinn said:

GARMIN SUGGESTED USING THE GARMIN USB CABLE - NOW HOME AND TRIED 4 USB PORTS AND NONE OF THEM "FIND" THE GARMIN.

Is the garmin going into USB Mass storage mode? (On the GPS, the screen will just display a USB symbol indicating that it is connected as a mass-storage device for data transfer) If it's not, it boots up as normal and uses the USB connection as a power source.