Adventure Lab Bonus cache

guamgirl46

16 minutes ago, guamgirl46 said:

When do the bonus caches need to be submitted . . . before or after the Adventure Lab is made Public.

My personal experience plus reading the posts on the forum, suggests  that reviewers are happy to review the bonus cache ahead of time, and publish it when you make the adventure lab public. 

• Upvote 1

I would publish it before publishing the AL, so it's ready and waiting. If I were to publish a bonus cache for an AL, I would also supply a simple puzzle for anyone who used a GPS to find the cache. So the bonus was available for all. Do the AL and get the final coordinates, or work out a simple (and I mean simple) puzzle to find the bonus.

I was given an AL to publish. I have decided I'm not interested, because each WP gets a point (and a one WP AL would be boring), and I would want a bonus cache, but I also don't want another physical cache to have to maintain.

• Surprised 1
35 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would publish it before publishing the AL, so it's ready and waiting. If I were to publish a bonus cache for an AL, I would also supply a simple puzzle for anyone who used a GPS to find the cache. So the bonus was available for all. Do the AL and get the final coordinates, or work out a simple (and I mean simple) puzzle to find the bonus.

I was given an AL to publish. I have decided I'm not interested, because each WP gets a point (and a one WP AL would be boring), and I would want a bonus cache, but I also don't want another physical cache to have to maintain.

I was told that the reviewer for NSW won't accept a bonus cache unless the AL is already public and requires a screenshot to confirm that's the case, except for something like Lee's where there's an alternative way to work out the bonus's coordinates. I did that for my two, picking a day when I thought the reviewer was likely to clear the queue to set the AL public and submit the bonus.

2 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I was told that the reviewer for NSW won't accept a bonus cache unless the AL is already public and requires a screenshot to confirm that's the case, except for something like Lee's where there's an alternative way to work out the bonus's coordinates. I did that for my two, picking a day when I thought the reviewer was likely to clear the queue to set the AL public and submit the bonus.

We must have honest faces, as our second one was published at a set time for us, and we were allowed to publish the AL a minute before.... :)

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

This guidance is out of date, as HQ eased the rules which normally require that a "puzzle" cache must be solvable and findable at the moment of publication.  The change eases the logistics for both the Reviewer and the Cache Owner/Adventure Lab creator - which is important right now as so many Adventures are coming online prior to upcoming deadlines.

Which reminds me... my player account needs to coordinate with MY reviewer in order to get my bonus cache published this weekend!

6 hours ago, Keystone said:

This guidance is out of date, as HQ eased the rules which normally require that a "puzzle" cache must be solvable and findable at the moment of publication.  The change eases the logistics for both the Reviewer and the Cache Owner/Adventure Lab creator - which is important right now as so many Adventures are coming online prior to upcoming deadlines.

I'm making an assumption here, but the easing of this rule is ONLY for AL Bonus caches, correct? 

Correct.  Reviewers can publish Mystery (Bonus) Caches for Adventure Labs in reliance on the Adventure Lab owner's undertaking to make their Adventure "go live" at or about the same time.  I've just made these arrangements myself, asking another Reviewer to publish my Bonus cache tomorrow at noon, at which time I will set my Adventure to "public."

• Helpful 1
On 10/30/2020 at 12:14 AM, barefootjeff said:

I'm getting that vibe here myself. ☹️

On 10/30/2020 at 12:27 AM, Keystone said:

This guidance is out of date, as HQ eased the rules which normally require that a "puzzle" cache must be solvable and findable at the moment of publication. 

I used this explanation and hope it was sufficient. 

Hypothetically speaking, and clearly not a recommended idea, but there doesn't seem to be any distance requirement between the adventure lab bonus and the adventure lab. Adventure Labs can span different states and countries. So hypothetically, my bonus cache for the adventure lab could be 2,000 miles away from the adventure lab, meaning it could take days for someone to get from one to the other. I'm guessing because there's no distance limitation in Adventure Labs they can't specify a distance limitation for the bonus cache associated with it? Just curious. 

10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Hypothetically speaking, and clearly not a recommended idea, but there doesn't seem to be any distance requirement between the adventure lab bonus and the adventure lab. Adventure Labs can span different states and countries. So hypothetically, my bonus cache for the adventure lab could be 2,000 miles away from the adventure lab, meaning it could take days for someone to get from one to the other. I'm guessing because there's no distance limitation in Adventure Labs they can't specify a distance limitation for the bonus cache associated with it? Just curious. 

There's an AL I did that's a tour around Lake Macquarie, with one end at sea caves on the coast and the other on the western side of the lake, some 75km of driving away. The bonus was then another sixteen kilometres of driving further round the lake. with its bogus coordinates out in the middle of the water.

I guess there's nothing to stop you putting the bonus on the other side of the world but it probably won't get many finders, particularly with the current travel restrictions.

27 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I guess for the bonus cache it is not (the same goes for a default bonus cache for a typical trail, right?), but as I read somewhere, the AL itself should be doable within 6 hours, so different states, countries yes, but not completely without restrictions.

Just now, sernikk said:

I guess for the bonus cache it is not (the same goes for a default bonus cache for a typical trail, right?), but as I read somewhere, the AL itself should be doable within 6 hours, so different states, countries yes, but not completely without restrictions.

It's 2 hrs but it's only a recommandation and there are no reviewing process so no one to enforce it.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

The bonus was then another sixteen kilometres of driving further round the lake. with its bogus coordinates out in the middle of the water.

I'm assuming the distance between the posted coordinates and the final was less than two miles.  I think that's the only distance requirement in this story.

20 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I'm assuming the distance between the posted coordinates and the final was less than two miles.  I think that's the only distance requirement in this story.

Yeah, the bonus itself is only a couple of km from its bogus coordinates.

Edited by barefootjeff
7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

It's OK. It's just frustrating but it'll work out. ?

Actually, I've since reviewed your cache page and your reviewer, a good friend of mine, DID follow the current guidance.  He asked you to commit to a certain time, you did that, and then he agreed to publish your bonus cache at that time.