Creative Adventure Labs Podcast

rragan

I will be on Geocache talk podcast show #222 discussing creating Adventure Labs that go beyond the "magical history tour" model that is so common. You don't have to have anything interesting to make an AL that can amuse. I just published one that tells a story but uses nothing from the environment. It could be transplanted to Iowa and play the same. It uses simple puzzles and riddles for the player to solve in the field. A very simple way to do something in an area with nothing of interest, is an I Spy game - particularly good for kids. 

Listen in Live or watch it later. November 1, 6 pm Pacific.

• Surprised 2
On 10/29/2020 at 10:06 AM, rragan said:

I will be on Geocache talk podcast show #222 discussing creating Adventure Labs that go beyond the "magical history tour" model that is so common. You don't have to have anything interesting to make an AL that can amuse. I just published one that tells a story but uses nothing from the environment. It could be transplanted to Iowa and play the same. It uses simple puzzles and riddles for the player to solve in the field. A very simple way to do something in an area with nothing of interest, is an I Spy game - particularly good for kids. 

Listen in Live or watch it later. November 1, 6 pm Pacific.

i agree with Gold Nugget...that was best thing i could of asked for ,except i found the video after i finished my first one. Makes me want a second one very bad as the one i have out there is doing very well at 5 stars. The ideas and websites to add extra care to the almost unlimited amount of things you can create on one was very helpful to me as ive been saying this about the magical history tours this whole time. So for me it was a bit of validation i wasn't alone in my thinking or opinion on the topic so i just wanted to say thanks for the going on the show. i love Garys podcast and should of known to go look there 1st. Thanks for sharing 

• Funny 1

I really enjoyed this episode. I have complained about how these are called "adventure" labs but there is not usually much of an adventure in walking around looking at building and historic markers. And lab conjures up an image of hands on experiments, not your ability to count fence posts or read plaques. I also love that you tried to make your labs friendly to people with disabilities. 

What confused me, how did you add code into each location so that it would be interactive with games? Did you just enter a block of code instead of text in the location description?

• Upvote 1
On 1/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, hrothroc said:

What confused me, how did you add code into each location so that it would be interactive with games? Did you just enter a block of code instead of text in the location description?

The interactive parts were done in JavaScript hosted on a website with free hosting. The JS gives you a code to enter to complete the AL location.