Is https://labs.geocaching.com/logs down?

two bison

It's a command-line thing.  If it spits output like this, it's alive.  If nothing happens, it's dead Jim.

vp@VPHQ:~$ ping labs.geocaching.com

PING labs-sef.geocaching.com (63.251.163.235) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 63.251.163.235 (63.251.163.235): icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=34.1 ms
64 bytes from 63.251.163.235 (63.251.163.235): icmp_seq=2 ttl=244 time=34.3 ms
64 bytes from 63.251.163.235 (63.251.163.235): icmp_seq=3 ttl=244 time=34.3 ms
64 bytes from 63.251.163.235 (63.251.163.235): icmp_seq=4 ttl=244 time=34.5 ms
^C
--- labs-sef.geocaching.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3420ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 34.188/34.378/34.588/0.233 ms

ETA: But Error 500 is different.  It means you're communicating to the web server fine, but the server code has crashed.  It's like when a politician gets a blank look and stops talking.  Typically the server admins will have been notified automatically.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

ETA: But Error 500 is different.  It means you're communicating to the web server fine, but the server code has crashed.  It's like when a politician gets a blank look and stops talking. 

Actually, you MAY be communicating to "the" web server just fine, but I believe that "the" web server may only be a load balancer in front of the actual server.

I know that they do some internal load balancing for some of their stuff (don't know if AL is included), and the IP was for the server at the end of the line.  I was curious to see whether he could get all the way to an end server.  IIRC, you can get a 500 (e.g., 500.19) from some hardware load balancing systems, too.  So you would get a 500 from the balancer, and NOT be able to ping all the way through to the content server.  Probably should have done a tracert to see if that was the case.

Fair enough, if you get right down to nuts and bolts.  But as far as I'm concerned, that's all on their side of the invisible line, meaning their problem, not your problem.

Except that you want it to work, so it's kinda your problem too.  [drums fingers]

Hey, remember the good old days?  (Mexico hotel room, ca. 2007.)

29c15867-9492-4c1a-bfa3-f80e983f7fa1_l.j

Edited by Viajero Perdido
20 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Fair enough, if you get right down to nuts and bolts.  But as far as I'm concerned, that's all on their side of the invisible line, meaning their problem, not your problem.

That's often the best process for troubleshooting... divide and conquer.  Figure out where the problem is and where it isn't, rinse and repeat, and eventually you have some hope of isolating it.  Then you can drop something useful in the lap of the person in charge of fixing it.  Nothing worse than "It doesn't work" when it can't be replicated easily.