Archived caches

TX wino

10 minutes ago, TX wino said:

I have a list of old archived caches that I would like to look up. I haven’t been able to figure out how. I can look up my old archived caches so I know the info is still there. Is it possible ? 

It may seem old-hat, but I simply look at my profile/"dashboard", click on "show all logs for: Geocaches", then Found It, and just scroll for the ones in red...

Suggestion: why not give all needed info when asking for help? It's relevant to know how you want to look for the archived caches (app, browser, PC....), It's relevant to know if it's about caches you've found,  It's relevant to know if these are caches where you know who the CO is.

So far; most of us are just guessing what you meant.

• Upvote 2

As others have said, if you search for an archived cache in the official apps, you get a message that says "This cache has been archived."  It helps to understand this design if you think of the smartphone apps as being designed for finding caches.  For research, like looking at archived caches, use the website tools in a browser.

36 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Sorry, but .... working

2 hours ago, Hynz said:

Actually no. Archived caches can no longer be found using:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

Fortunately the old search page still works also with archived caches:

https://www.geocaching.com/seek

Actually, yes.  Must be a malfunction on your end.  Using your URL...

Verified. I wondered if it might be a basic member limitation, so I tried it with a basic member sock puppet account. Nope. Works fine with GC903XP and other archived caches, like GC77.

Is it possible to do a general search and generate a list of archived caches? I tried with both the old and new searches but didn't get any hits, though that might be something a PQ would be needed for.

Or is it easier to find people who were active hiders and look through their cache lists looking for the red lines?

1 hour ago, Unit473L said:

Is it possible to do a general search and generate a list of archived caches? I tried with both the old and new searches but didn't get any hits, though that might be something a PQ would be needed for.

Apart from searching for a particular GC code, as far as I know the only searches that include archived caches are where you're including caches you've found as a search parameter.

image.png.331d70a731159261a4d67d1221ab5bc3.png

The equivalent search on the map page won't include them though, nor will mapping the results of the search.

The only PQs that includes archived caches are the special My Finds one and PQs made from a list.

16 hours ago, hzoi said:

I wondered if it might be a basic member limitation

I must admit this thought also crossed my mind before sending my reply.....

Any other BM here to verify?

Her's my search result:

2095143145_2020-10-2909_54.41www.geocaching.comab4ede3b5240.thumb.png.5f908ed11f5359667ba2b381b4fb88df.png

Edited by Hynz
insert screenshot
On 10/29/2020 at 4:52 AM, Hynz said:

Her's my search result:

Looks like you're searching for caches within 10 miles of GC903XP, which is the first option the new search page gives you when you type GC903XP into the search box - and the default option when you hit "enter."

Type the archived cache's GC code - but don't hit enter. You should see two options. Pick the second one, it should show you the archived cache.

Like this:

image.png.1470b5f2f0a447b35c1744866376f892.png

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 3