Jack Trail Geo Tour

The Jack Trail was an enormous disappointment.  Of the 57 possible caches, we found 19 with the required "code word", found 17 without required "code word", and the remaining 21 caches (about 60%) were disabled, missing, or trashed.  Many caches had numerous DNFs and/or reports of badly needing maintenance.  The few caches that were temporarily disabled, were overdue for some sort of action to be taken,  We spent 5 days driving across 10 counties in south centralTennessee, all the while wishing we had chosen better.  How can I avoid another geocaching ordeal like this one?   

• Upvote 1
Just now, georgia_pedestrian said:

The Jack Trail was an enormous disappointment.  Of the 57 possible caches, we found 19 with the required "code word", found 17 without required "code word", and the remaining 21 caches (about 60%) were disabled, missing, or trashed.  Many caches had numerous DNFs and/or reports of badly needing maintenance.  The few caches that were temporarily disabled, were overdue for some sort of action to be taken,  We spent 5 days driving across 10 counties in south centralTennessee, all the while wishing we had chosen better.  How can I avoid another geocaching ordeal like this one?   

I noticed that. See my post from yesterday!

It's incredibly frustrating. I've done all three of the Tennessee Geo tours so I understand exactly what you're saying. 

There's a Geotour sub forum, by the way.

2 minutes ago, georgia_pedestrian said:

How can I avoid another geocaching ordeal like this one?   

Check ahead. that's all you can do to avoid the ones that are disabled or have problems. I try to do that a few days before I hit a Geo tour. And there's nothing you can do if your goal is to earn the souvenir, except place a throwdown, which unfortunately is very common for geo tours. People who normally wouldn't do that, will do it for geotour cache. Too much at stake. ?

• Upvote 1