Favorite Caches?

T_Con743

Some of my top all-time favourites:

GC5K9KJ "The Last Paradise - Birds, Planes, Cliffs & Views" on Lord Howe Island. This multi, which I did for my 500th find milestone, takes the searcher on a grand tour of the northern half of the island as well as highlighting some of its history.

GC5K9KJ.jpg.2d39bb2d6c32570e2f913446060f81b6.jpg

GC6QQPE "D2,4T Challenge (The Dutchman's Stern)" in the Watagan Mountains. This challenge cache required 24 finds of caches rated D2/T4 and I'm including it not just for the climb and beautiful valley views from GZ but also for the many wonderful caches it took me to along the way of qualifying for it.

DSC_0941.jpg.2e2400bbe8e41462d2d2f7308bf54c9f.jpg

GC5E7A3 "Hawkesbury Heights #5 Suspended Splendor" is the T4.5 cache I did for my 1000 finds milestone. Getting there and back was a full day's hike with three caching friends through rugged and mostly trackless terrain with awesome views of the Hawkesbury River.

Found.jpg.a49e6ed0e8f05b70faa34ceec81b7c8d.jpg

GC72T55 "Valley of the Falls", now sadly archived after a tragic rock fall closed part of the track, was another full-day hike with a couple of friends through a magnificent valley in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

Falls.jpg.7fa44bd9ae30602b4e688f86b43ea7d4.jpg

GC6T5PZ "Hawkesbury Heights #8 Gentleman's Geometry" combined three days of kayaking and extended hiking with some steep climbs and awesome river views.

ViewFromGZComposite.jpg.b8b592efa35ac83666befcf7df6783d8.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Bridges of Arches of Central Park in NYC (GC17MX1).  

9 miles of walking though Central Park, took 6 hours, done with 8 friends.  Filled in my 366 day calendar that day and hit my 800th cache.

This cache has ruined geocaching for me.  My numbers definitely dropped after that.  I find most other geocaching experiences to be quite boring after that adventure.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

The APE cache in Washington has been definitely one of my favourites. For my standards, an extremely tough hike to get there, and the view was stunning (though being from the Netherlands, I get that a lot when I'm abroad). The HQ visit on the other hand, was kinda boring. Very nice people there of course, but it didn't really trigger any geocaching euphoria or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Mocopulence - https://coord.info/GCQ03E 

Also known as "The Temple of Tolerance" in Wapakoneta, Ohio. 

featured in in Atlas Obscura and Roadside America

One of Ohio's most favorited caches. One of Americas lesser known quirky attractions. A mystery cache that takes you on about a two hour tour of a mans sprawling backyard finding clues. Sprawling because he bought his neighbors properties. A man with a mission to teach tolerance. A man with tons upon tons of rocks making up sculptures and temples. A man with oddities, antiques, imagination, patience and a barrel shaped house in his backyard.

A man with a bank counter that John Dillinger once jumped over.

Just a small fraction of the complex.

652a8f4d-5b15-4058-ab45-793181edecbb.jpg

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

The APE cache in Washington has been definitely one of my favourites.

Definitely one of my tope three. 

My All time favorite: GC2MNZA Eliot Glacier Earthcache what is cool about this one is without the EC being there I would never have gone. The weather was amazing with a four Mountain View and as close to the summit of Mt Hood I'll probably ever be. The hike was very tough but we made it. 

1 hour ago, HunterandSamuel said:

We haven't been to any exotic places like many here so our favorites would be too boring to share. lol A great topic you started! 

Exotic is all a matter of opinion and seems at least partly dependent on where you in the world.

My favourite cache is in Edinburgh - not, in my view, particularly exotic, but The One O'Clock Gun was an interesting exploration, a lovely spot for the final cache and remains the single best cache page I've seen - bar none.

To me, New England in the autumn seems exotic.

36 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Exotic is all a matter of opinion and seems at least partly dependent on where you in the world.

Thanks. My favorite is a homemade cache  on a cachers front lawn that we absolutely loved! It had different compartments and the end result was placing a balloon in a hole, blowing into it, and it opened the door to the log! It took some time to figure out though. The CO even had a stone bench out in front for us cachers to rest while trying to figure it out. lol 

• Surprised 1
4 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

My favourite cache is in Edinburgh - not, in my view, particularly exotic, but The One O'Clock Gun was an interesting exploration, a lovely spot for the final cache and remains the single best cache page I've seen - bar none.

To me, New England in the autumn seems exotic.

Hamburg, Germany isn't especially exotic either but it's not often that you get to find a cache *under* a river.  

The fall in New England has been especially spectacular this year.  

Took some thought for this one... In 2009, a group of friends, my daughter and I did a 93' cave pit cache in Kentucky called Cavers Plunge, GCRVXB.  https://coord.info/GCRVXB  It was our 1,000th cache, and my daughter, who used RADS to climb most of her extreme caching life, chose to use the frog system to climb out of this cave.  She practiced in a tree next to the cave pit, proved she could climb and change over with the system, and off we went.

RIngneck snake, albino crayfish, three types of salamanders; all of these guys fell into the 93' pit at one time, or snuck in from the stream at the bottom.

48 people have found this cache, and from the logs, you can tell it is a favorite cache.  I logged the find and a second note along with maybe 50 pictures describing the adventure.  An excellent cache.

43195d54-616e-487a-b70c-de8103af4fff.jpg

Daughter rappelling

74ac763e-7081-452f-b566-fd47ad768d1f.jpg

Me rappelling

062de2b6-f3ec-4173-a07a-ac96cd37b79b.jpg

Team's 1,000 cache, a memorable one.

This cache triggered our caving craving, and last year I rappelled and climbed out of Golondrinas Cave in Mexico, 1,250'.

Thanks for suggesting this thread; wonderful memories.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2

For me it is probably this new cache called Undercroft (GC91KBA). It is under this rather strange bridge and you have to extract a 3m long pole with a magnet on the end from the roof and then drag a magnetic geocache out of the other really long tube on the roof, so far it has a 100% favourite point rate!

GC2NQZP Sembawang hot spring in Sinagapore.

An earthcache that epitomises geocaching for us - somewhere we would never have found as it is not listed on any tourist sites or in any guide books, it involved a train and bus journey followed by a short walk around the boundary fence of a military installation, said fence had been diverted to allow public access to the hot spring and as we were approaching the entrance an elderly local gentleman rode past us on a bicycle and pointed whilst shouting "hot spring, hot spring" a special memory for us!