BUG: Replies to message centre emails ignored

funkymunkyzone

2020-10-25 18:52:34 1kWjFv-00061y-O1 => XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX@mc.geocaching.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp H=mxa.mailgun.org [52.22.46.128] X=TLS1.0:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32 DN="C=US,ST=California,L=San Francisco,O=MAILGUN TECHNOLOGIES\, INC,OU=MAILGUN TECHNOLOGIES\, INC,CN=*.mailgun.org"
2020-10-25 18:52:34 1kWjFv-00061y-O1 Completed

For example, this message didn't survive

• Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Hm. Used to be, only part of the message went through. That was infuriating, because it changed the tone of my messages, by removing my cheery signoff.

So I've always avoided this feature. Recommend you do too. 

The message that didn't survive was sent without any signatures. This is the message I sent.

Hei

Se ei ole haastekätkö. Puuttuu hastekätkön attribuutti. Lisäksi siinä on mysteerichekkeri jota haasteella tuskin tarvitaan. Tarkastaja päästänyt virheellisesti läpi tuollaisena.

I can not use MC from email until this issue is solved.

• Helpful 1

I've got exactely the same problem for several weeks. Responding to e-mail copys I get from people who send me a message using my e-mail software/app has become very unreliable. The E-mail adresses I'm sending e-mails too look like ....@mc.geocaching.com - some answers work, some answers not. Groundspeak's email server seems to receive all my e-mail answers (cause my e-mail provider don't return an error message as it usually does if a problem occurs), but there seems to be a problem within Groundspeak to forward the e-mail to its Message center system.

The evil thing of this problem is, that I often don't even notice that my answer is not being forwared to the sender of the message. So the sender is waiting for my answer although I already solved his request by answering his message.

One indicator of a not-forwarded email answer is, that I don't receive an e-mail copy of my answer which is usually sent by message center if new messages (like my e-mail answer) is posted.

So right now the one and only reliable method to answer messages is to do by opening message-center in a Browser.

Edited by PPete
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

FWIW I have a slightly different issue that has been going on for months and HQ first claimed to me it was not an issue for weeks and then recently started saying they are aware of it.

When I reply to any message from someone else in the Message Center it sends a copy of what I WROTE TO THEM to me... not to them. And it does not email me their messages. So I have it all turned off now - as you can well imagine it was REALLY annoying. (Or *is*...)

• Funny 5
6 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

FWIW I have a slightly different issue that has been going on for months and HQ first claimed to me it was not an issue for weeks and then recently started saying they are aware of it.

When I reply to any message from someone else in the Message Center it sends a copy of what I WROTE TO THEM to me... not to them. And it does not email me their messages. So I have it all turned off now - as you can well imagine it was REALLY annoying. (Or *is*...)

There are two separate settings in different places that control Message Centre emails. In Message Centre itself is this setting:

image.png.b204a8db1103c9b2a72b546d5fecde12.png

which controls whether or not you get emails for YOUR messages you send. It doesn't affect emails for received messages, instead they're controlled from within your account settings that are accessed from the gear icon in your profile:

image.png.e71b9e32d4d4c5fc52effc839d93b62c.png

Here you have to tick the Message Centre box to get it to send any emails for received messages and then select one of the two radio button options.

• Helpful 2

I replied to a Message Center email on November 18th, and I only now realize that it isn't showing up in MC and the member didn't receive my reply.

Has anyone noticed if this is an intermittent issue, or is it completely broken? If it's broken, some error log at HQ must be blowing up with all of the unhandled emails. Hopefully this can be dealt with soon so the number of missed communications can be minimized.

Seems intermittent.  I noted the same thing, and copied/pasted the content of the email into the MC when I later noted that the email didn't seem to have hit there.

Unfortunately, it seems to be hit and miss as to whether email-to-MC transfers are going to occur, which is making email MC replies too unreliable to use at the moment.

Edited by ecanderson