app and coordinate checker

Jayeffel

I have done some mystery caches and when using the coordinate checker did so from my home computer. I see no way to do that using my IPhone app. 

When using the Phone when caching and get Mystery cache and solve the coordinates, how can in check or verify them in the field?

How can I input new coordinates, if possible, into the iPhone if I do not have my handheld GPS unit to enter coordinates? I think my brother did that to get the bonus, but do not know how he did it.

4 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

I have done some mystery caches and when using the coordinate checker did so from my home computer. I see no way to do that using my IPhone app. 

When using the Phone when caching and get Mystery cache and solve the coordinates, how can in check or verify them in the field?

How can I input new coordinates, if possible, into the iPhone if I do not have my handheld GPS unit to enter coordinates? I think my brother did that to get the bonus, but do not know how he did it.

The official geocaching checker is not available on the app. 

You can enter corrected coordinates on the app by going to waypoints and entering your own final coordinates. 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

The official geocaching checker is not available on the app. 

You can enter corrected coordinates on the app by going to waypoints and entering your own final coordinates. 

Thanks, I know they say the only dumb question is the one not asked,  one of my fellow students in college proved thatwrong never and over.

Some things like what you suggested I had no clue, thanks. What I did before was to find the clues, work them out at home and use the checker, then go look for it - can add up miles quickly! I could use the Garmin but having a problem with the on/off button working. I saw a fix which I need to try- in between lawn work, fixing a wobble wheel on a trailer, grocery shipping etc. And cacheing trips,  cannot forget them!

I just released my first puzzle cache.  I used the official coordinate checker.  I was completely unaware that it would not show up on the official smartphone apps. 

When I built the cache description page, did I miss a warning that the checker would NOT BE VISIBLE in the official apps?

Are there 3rd party checkers that WILL show up in the official app? (guessing no)

Had I know this, I would have added a note in the description telling cachers to use "Open in browser" to find the checker.

2nd problem  -- I have a cacher that *did* open it in a browser (not sure which phone or browser) and the checker still does not show up.  It should show up between the "legalese" and the hint, but nothing is there.  Another good reason to move to 3rd party checker?

I'd appreciate tips from anyone who has already figured out the best way to make a coordinate checker as findable as possible, and universally accessible regardless of device and app used.   Thanks for any help!!!

screenshot.thumb.jpg.61d1ef5ad281819aaadfa0e4fa0aba44.jpg

Your checker is appearing for me (iPhone / Safari).

285EF1F9-5028-45B1-850F-14C035650129.thumb.png.f0c19bdb1b52dc8cd166585ddfe41ebd.png

For other checkers (GeoCheck, GeoChecker, Certitude, ...) you will need to add the appropriate link to the cache page’s HTML.  These will appear on both the App and in a browser. 

Edited by IceColdUK

Thank you for responding -- Max and 99 and IceColdUK!

The help article does indeed say "The Geocaching.com solution checker is not available on the Geocaching® app."  which blows my mind.  Doesn't even add text or a link in the description to assist the cacher in finding and opening the geocache page in a web browser so they can use the checker there.  I realize they can back out one screen and the option is there to open the cache in a browser (on Android, I presume iphone is similar) but that's not terribly friendly.  Solution is *I* add a link to the geocache page in the description.  Along with a snarky explanation.  What I don't understand is this -- in the c:geo app, there *IS* a link on the description page "geocaching.com coordinate checker available via browser."  It knows it's supposed to be there and provides a link.  How do I lobby Geocaching official to implement that in their app?

I have investigated two third party apps so far, and both work as expected -- a link in the description, inserted there by the CO, leads one to a browser page coordinate checker.  The link shows up in a web browser, in the official app, and in c:geo.  I presume all the other checkers will behave similarly, which is acceptable.  I see some are more diverse in what they can do, which is great -- I'll keep that in mind for future caches.

As for the second problem, all three of us, and probably 99.999% of the world can see the coordinate checker if we open the cache page in a web browser.  Android chrome and iphone safari seem to work...  Any ideas on what I can tell my cacher (the screenshot I posted) who can't see it?  A setting to check in the browser?  I can suggest using a different browser app, but I'd rather solve the problem than hand wave the issue away.

And finally...if I want to experiment before creating a new cache, can I go through the process of making a new cache, but never send it for review/publishing?  If I do that, is it visible to me, the creator, in the official phone app, or other apps, for diagnosing these types of issues before it goes live?  The local reviewer is polite, but made me feel like it should be buttoned up tight before publication, that changes after publication are...frowned upon.  I frequently see in the description props given to the FTF on a given cache, which seems like a nice touch, but that triviality had to go through the reviewer, right? 

Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, TorqueMaster said:

And finally...if I want to experiment before creating a new cache, can I go through the process of making a new cache, but never send it for review/publishing?

Yes! Honestly I thought that was standard procedure: edit, edit, edit, edit until you're happy with everything on the page then submit it.

Keep in mind that depending on your coordinates the reviewer may ask you what the status is of your cache. I had one archived with no advance notice. I believe someone else on the forum suggested you put the coordinates in the middle of the ocean. 

If I do that, is it visible to me, the creator, in the official phone app, or other apps, for diagnosing these types of issues before it goes live? 

It's not visible in the official geocaching app., only on the website. I have no knowledge of other apps.

I frequently see in the description props given to the FTF on a given cache, which seems like a nice touch, but that triviality had to go through the reviewer, right? 

No. I don't think that's the kind of change the reviewer is talking about. Congrats is a very common edit to the cache page. Changes such as: "if you don't leave a dollar in my geocache I will delete your log" or "make sure you sign your name directly in the spot below the previous finder and in red ink only or it's not a valid find" are frowned upon!  

Edited by Max and 99
11 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes! Honestly I thought that was standard procedure: edit, edit, edit, edit until you're happy with everything on the page then submit it.

Keep in mind that depending on your coordinates the reviewer may ask you what the status is of your cache. I had one archived with no advance notice. I believe someone else on the forum suggested you put the coordinates in the middle of the ocean. 

Ok, I wanted to make sure I wasn't "tying up resources" by creating a new cache only for experimental purposes.  I'll understand it may not sit there idle forever.

It's not visible in the official geocaching app., only on the website. I have no knowledge of other apps.

Ok, that's exactly what I did -- edit edit edit until it was is functionally "perfect" when viewed through the web browser.  So there is no provision to look at it through the app or 3rd party apps before it goes live, one must trust (haha) that it will be displayed correctly?  More work for the reviewer if/when it doesn't. 

No. I don't think that's the kind of change the reviewer is talking about. Congrats is a very common edit to the cache page. Changes such as: "if you don't leave a dollar in my geocache I will delete your log" or "make sure you sign your name directly in the spot below the previous finder and in red ink only or it's not a valid find" are frowned upon!  

Lol, the changes you suggest would never be approved anyway.  I just got the impression my reviewer was (at Groundspeak's directive) discouraging *any* edit after publication to not alter the experience for later cachers -- but also probably to minimize CO's nickel and diming him with lots of tiny incremental changes.  But the net result is unwelcoming to any post-publication changes.  Needing a link to web browse the cache (and checker) in the description is worth adding, I'll just have to make sure I tack on any other less important changes at the same time.  Same goes for caches that say "No hint until FTF."  -- clearly they plan to edit the cache (shortly?) after publication and "change the experience" for future cachers....

Thanks for your help.  I'm guessing you are a volunteer, well versed in all things geocaching?  Thank you for your time and expertise. 

Does Groundspeak have employees here, or somewhere, to hear and consider changes to the system / app?  I can and will use the "contact us" form but that just feels like a "black hole" for any suggestions, worthy or not.  :(

21 minutes ago, TorqueMaster said:

Lol, the changes you suggest would never be approved anyway.  I just got the impression my reviewer was (at Groundspeak's directive) discouraging *any* edit after publication to not alter the experience for later cachers -- but also probably to minimize CO's nickel and diming him with lots of tiny incremental changes.  But the net result is unwelcoming to any post-publication changes.  Needing a link to web browse the cache (and checker) in the description is worth adding, I'll just have to make sure I tack on any other less important changes at the same time.  Same goes for caches that say "No hint until FTF."  -- clearly they plan to edit the cache (shortly?) after publication and "change the experience" for future cachers....

Thanks for your help.  I'm guessing you are a volunteer, well versed in all things geocaching?  Thank you for your time and expertise. 

Does Groundspeak have employees here, or somewhere, to hear and consider changes to the system / app?  I can and will use the "contact us" form but that just feels like a "black hole" for any suggestions, worthy or not.  :(

Like Max and 99 said you can edit anything after publication and the reviewer isn't involved at all in the process unless you put something against the guideline (ie You have to sign the logbook with a Red pen only) and someone made a complaint to the reviewer.

Max and 99 isn't a volunteer but care more of the game than most of Groundspeak sadly.

Like you wrote our suggestions normally goes to a black hole and Groundspeak decide on their own what to do and give us not so great results out of it like the current Old search controversy. 

• Surprised 1
6 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Like Max and 99 said you can edit anything after publication and the reviewer isn't involved at all in the process unless you put something against the guideline (ie You have to sign the logbook with a Red pen only) and someone made a complaint to the reviewer.

Ooooh ok. You're right, he did answer "No."  Now through my thick skull that edits I make to my published cache *do not* go through a reviewer.  I thought for sure they would want someone looking for inappropriate material before it was published with the changes.  I'll keep cursing, threats and extortion to a minimum  ;)

6 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Max and 99 isn't a volunteer but care more of the game than most of Groundspeak sadly.

Like you wrote our suggestions normally goes to a black hole and Groundspeak decide on their own what to do and give us not so great results out of it like the current Old search controversy. 

Ahhh, very good.  Well, many thanks to Max and 99 for helping the little guys deal with the corporate entity that makes this possible. 

And thank you Lynx Humble.

2 hours ago, TorqueMaster said:

In addition to writing through the Help Center, you can post feature suggestions about the Geocaching.com Website, the official iPhone App and the official Android App in the respective forum sections for those products.  Those forum sections are monitored by Geocaching HQ staff, as well as by volunteer forum moderators like me.

20 minutes ago, Keystone said:

In addition to writing through the Help Center, you can post feature suggestions about the Geocaching.com Website, the official iPhone App and the official Android App in the respective forum sections for those products.  Those forum sections are monitored by Geocaching HQ staff, as well as by volunteer forum moderators like me.

Very good, I was just browsing around and saw those forum sections.  I will likely start a thread in the Android app section about my proposed change.