Team play in Raleigh?

JoeyBob

So many options...

I think I prefer the idea of a rotating host city rather than an all-in-one, when its over its over, event. Each participating city/region takes a turn hosting with all visiting teams playing. Points are awarded for 1st, 2nd, etc at each event. At the end of the "season", point standings determine winner. I'd also prefer to minimize driving (during the event). That adds too many variables and concerns.

The host city could find a location and either plant caches (temporary or permanent) or flags (as occured near Charlotte last year)

The problem with permanent caches is finding a place that can support 15-20 new caches without driving, although it looks as if they did a good job of it in Virginia last week.

I'm open to just about anything though.

It may be a slow process to organize this via posts. It would be great if we could meet (in person, teleconference even a predetermined time in a chat room with all organizers present). Any ideas?

17406_1900.jpg

woody: how would a beer feel, mr. peterson?

norm: pretty nervous if i was in the room.

Another thought...

Each city could have their own style event. So long as it resulted in 1st, 2nd, etc. places, and was fair to all, the end result would be the same.

This would make it more of an all-around competition.

17406_1900.jpg

coach: what's the story, norm?

norm: thirsty guy walks into a bar. you finish it.

I like the thought of having an event in each city. Perhaps once a month or every 6 weeks a different town or region could host. Teams from each of the other regions earn points leading to a year-end winner. The host town team would not participate in their own town's hunt. This would eliminate any problems that might develop if the hides are much tougher in one area than another. Scoring could be as simple as points awarded for order of finish. I think it would also be wise if each region had enough cachers wanting to participate so that the event wouldn't be affected if some people weren't available to attend each hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by nittany dave:

Did.

Got a few positive responses, but noone offering ideas or help.

Ever tried to pull an iceberg upstream by hand?

This is a problem that has always came up...no one realizes how much fun this can be.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Good Morning from the Sunny Hills of WNC (Please no more snow Twice in April is enuf). Hang on to the Iceberg and Ill throw a line inand help you. Im still recruiting WNC Cachers for this event. Were looking at the two suggestions and trying to plan an event for this area that would fit in to the overall idea.

A CACHE A DAY KEEPS THE BLUES AWAY

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

quote:

Did.

Got a few positive responses, but noone offering ideas or help.

Ever tried to pull an iceberg upstream by hand?

This is a problem that has always came up...no one realizes how much fun this can be.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Why don't each group hold an event in thier area where they hide 5 caches? Every 1 meets at noon and will be given the starting coordinates After the hunt every 1 will meet at a location that will be found with coordinates found in the caches. Each group starts out with 100 points and, loses 5 for each hint asked for, & 5 for each group that finishes ahead of them. The 2 groups with the most points at the end of all of the event then will face off at 5 caches placed by the the ones out, the 1st to find all 5 will be the winner. The 100 points will be all you get if you lose some on an event you start the next event with what you had left.

icon_mad.gifFormer EarthNOlink user!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

quote:
It may be a slow process to organize this via posts. It would be great if we could meet (in person, teleconference even a predetermined time in a chat room with all organizers present). Any ideas?

How about here at 8pm Thursday 4-24-03

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

OK Heres the deal We have talked this subject to death for the past 5or6 Monthts Now is the time for Action. I will start a New Subject called THE NORTH CAROLINA CHALLANGE and there I will propose a challange to the RALEIGH/CHARLOTTE/GREENSBORO/WINSTON-SALEM/ANDY ANY OTHERS Geocachers""""""""""" Look for the NORTH CAROLINA CHALLANGE

quote:
Originally posted by fishingfools:

Is this going to be the flag day event?

Nope. The Flag Day event is meant to be more fun than challenge. I would like to talk about Raleigh team(s) in a statewide event or series of events at our Flag Day. Maybe just network and put together a team or two rather than make it a group decision. Then, reconnect with some other key individuals. The flag concept could be used for a larger event, just make the flags harder to find than I'm going to at ours.

gojoey is going to talk the statewide concept over with WNC cachers at their event on 5/31. We can discuss it at ours and someone will plan a late summer/early fall statewide get-together.

17406_1900.jpg

coach: what's the story, norm?

norm: thirsty guy walks into a bar. you finish it.

quote:

gojoey is going to talk the statewide concept over with WNC cachers at their event on 5/31. We can discuss it at ours and someone will plan a late summer/early fall statewide get-together.

Has any thing been put together?

icon_biggrin.gifAt our meeting on 31 May we discussed an event cache and everyone was in agreement. icon_frown.gifThen someone suggested doing a flag event and said they would get the info together. Nothing ever materialized and the idea got forgotten. Oh well water under the bridge. To Move on from now on when I get a notion to do someting I will icon_wink.gif**just do it**. icon_cool.gif Next November we will have 2 Event Caches in Asheville NC The first is a Cache machine type event during the day the URL is icon_razz.gif ( ) and the second is a get together for ******ALL***** icon_smile.gif GEOCACHERS AT JACK IN THE WOOD THAT EVENING. From there we are planning a statewide multi cache with one leg each in Asheville/Charlotte/WinstonSalem-Greensbors and Raleigh-Durham join any one or all four of the Yahoo Groups of North Carolina Geocachers for up to the minute information on how you can help put this together. Thank You Fellow Geocachers for your support so far...GoJoey&Bookworm1

Hi,

I'm just reading this topic, it very interesting.

I'm also thinking about preparing a team challenge for some local geocachers here in Germany.

Have you actually organized a team cache by now?

I'm looking for some ideas, where team members have to cooperate to find the final cache. It should not be a competion, but more a team challenge.

E.g.:

- teams spread out in two different areas

- one team finds the clues needed by the other team and

- has to communicate the clues (e.g. FMR)

- teams meet in the end to put together their

information to get to the final cache.

What is your experience, any other ideas?

Happy New Year

Markus