Team play in Raleigh?

JoeyBob

Good luck on your quest Joeybob,

I've tried this before...but people just don't get it. After you have played as a team such as you did, you realize just how much fun it can be.

There is a lot of potential for team play, not just regional but worldwide. I have several ideas, just can't get enough players. I thought it was because of my reputation icon_biggrin.gif but I see your having the same problem. Maybe it's because you are a member of the Evil Horde? icon_cool.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

JeffersonStone is ready. Maybe we could get a few people from Greensboro..hint hint icon_wink.gif to join us here for a day long, or 2 day long hunt. Much planning may be needed for this, as we will talk about this idea at the next Triangle Cachers meeting. I know there are several people here in the area about to hit their 100th caches. Might this be a catalyst for the game? Interested cachers speak up now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had a nickel for every sewerline near rivers and lakes, I'd be RICH!!

[This message was edited by JeffersonStone on September 09, 2002 at 05:57 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Deadite:

Why make this team play stuff involve 100th finds. There are a lot of us who haven't even hardly started finding caches.

Anyone can play as a team. I'm sure that's what Joeybob intends. Those going for a 100th find is a different game...or torture...depends on which side of the fence your on. icon_smile.gif

I hope I'm stating Joeybobs intention correctly. He's looking for any and all people, regardless of cache finds to play as teams.

El Diablo

I've always been good at stirring up trouble...hence the name. So here goes...I bet my cachers in Greensboro and Winston Salem area can beat the cachers in the Raliegh area.

Well ...maybe thats unfair since we know we are better, icon_biggrin.gif but I thought I would throw it out there.

El Diablo

El Diablo, El Diablo......after all we've been through. icon_rolleyes.gif You just had to start something didn't you? Me and my horde icon_cool.gif may have to get something up. By the way, why Greensboro AND W-S?? Two big cities against the wee little town of Raleigh?? icon_biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See what you guys think about this...

We pit city against city. Each city will consist of 5 teams. The number of players per team will depend on how many players you can get, the more the better.

It will work like this. Say there are 4 cities involved, Greensboro-Winston Salem, Raliegh, Roanoke, and Lynchburg. We start off with Greensboro-Winston against Raliegh and Roanoke against Lynchburg.

Each city will hide 5 micro caches and 1 main cache in their own city with a code word in it. The coordinates to the 5 micros will be posted at a starting time for all. Each micro contains part of the coordinates to the main cache.

As an example. Greensboro hides 5 micros and a main cache...so does Raliegh. At 7am the coordinates are posted for the micros. 5 teams leave Greensboro for Raliegh in search of the caches, as does Raliegh for Greensboro. Each team is going after one of the 5 micros. When all 5 are found the coords are put together to find the main cache. First city to find the main cache and call in with the code word wins.

The winner of the Greensboro and Raliegh hunt will then play the winner of the Roanoke and Lynchburg hunt. The winner of that will be champion!

Of course there will be rules in place to make it all fair. So what do you think??

El Diablo

It has gotten awfully quiet. If your scared...just say scared. We won't make fun of you...lol! icon_biggrin.gif Seriously though, if you want to get up a team...don't count on them reading this fourm. Contact them and let them know what is going on. Also..GOJoey...welcome. Get up a team and we'll work it in.

As a side note...Hey Triffid! Glad to see an old goat like you still around and kicking. icon_smile.gif

El Diablo

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

It has gotten awfully quiet. If your scared...just say scared. We won't make fun of you...lol! icon_biggrin.gif Seriously though, if you want to get up a team...don't count on them reading this fourm. Contact them and let them know what is going on. Also..GOJoey...welcome. Get up a team and we'll work it in.

As a side note...Hey Triffid! Glad to see an old goat like you still around and kicking. icon_smile.gif

El Diablo

I'm not scared .... just midly constipated .... that's the sound of a impacted colon ....

So are we gonna do team hunts or just keep back and forth talking about it.

You know how it is. It takes ALOT of talk to get some action done. The multi city cache contest sounds good. I'm ready for something maybe in late October. It'll be nice and cool by then, besides, I don't want Hawk-eye and El Diablo to have to break a sweat. icon_wink.gif As for the immediate, I will get the word out around here in Raleigh. Deadite, you can spread the word too, and we'll get some concrete ideas when we meet up for the monthly Triangle cache meet. Joeybob, you scared? icon_eek.gif

First - Deadite no offense intended

quote:
Geez...

Why make this team play stuff involve 100th finds.....

I just meant that I would need help if I was going to stay out of the principal office for being late returning to school icon_wink.gif

Second - Team play outside of Raleigh, even better. Late October sound good - count me as part of the Raleigh horde. Who could recognize a fake rock faster than a geologist icon_biggrin.gif Perhaps I could fashion a few native rocks for the Raleigh challange.....

quote:
Originally posted by GneissTuff&Wacke:

First - Deadite no offense intended

quote:
Geez...

Why make this team play stuff involve 100th finds.....

I just meant that I would need help if I was going to stay out of the principal office for being late returning to school icon_wink.gif

Second - Team play outside of Raleigh, even better. Late October sound good - count me as part of the Raleigh horde. Who could recognize a fake rock faster than a geologist icon_biggrin.gif Perhaps I could fashion a few native rocks for the Raleigh challange.....

None taking ..... bite me j/k .... ok let's get this stuff on the road.

Don't rush it Deadite...your not ready to play with the devil and his horde yet! icon_biggrin.gif You need to do some plotting and planning first.

October sounds good to me...but we have to check Hawk eyes schedule, now that he's off playing around in China. He's gone 3 weeks and home 3 weeks.

Has anyone tried to get Charlotte involved in this?

Oh and just as a fair warning...everyone will need to solve "The Devils Cache and The Fourth of July Cache" and then add them together. It could save you a lot of time. They were members only caches but I will open them up to the public.

El Diablo

Hey El Diablo ... I'll leave Beijing on the 25th of Sept. and be in the US until the last week in October ... Furniture market is the only thing that will screw up my schedule .. it's about a week starting the 17th and ending the 24th.

Sounds like a fun event.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

October 26th is the last Saturday of the month. Let's make that the tentative date for the NC cache competition. What do you think about a two day event, since we may be traveling quite a bit around the state? The more input this gets, the quicker it will get going. Let's do this!

Where is JoeyBob??? He starts all of this and we haven't heard from him in days!

As a side note: Happy birthday to JoeyBobs son Andrew who turned 6 today!! He is our next generation of cachers. I can just hear the stories that JoeyBob will be telling him in the years to come..."When I first started caching, I had to do it barefoot in the snow. Shoot back then we had to walk uphill to find every cache!"

El Diablo

Dang, I sure started some trouble, it looks like. I am all for the State Geocaching Championships! And just in case you didn't know- I ain't skeered!

El Diablo, thanks again, Andrew loved the hiking stick! Thank you note and picture on the way this week. He is one happy little junior geocacher. Heck, barefoot, snow, uphill both ways? We had to carry slide rules to triangulate the satellites, build our receivers from oatmeal boxes and old model T parts!

I'm not too worried about the sleeping giant. Besides, the real giants are in Raleigh, so I wouldn't even worry about those boys in Greensboro. You'll have to come this way to claim your prize. icon_wink.gif

Your right JeffersonStone...No need to worry about "those boys in Greensboro" All you have to worry about is me and the Evil Horde...there won't be any boys on the team! icon_biggrin.gif

And to the sleeping giant over there in the west...just keep on sleeping...it will be safer for you.

I am El Diablo with the Evil Horde by my side.

We can find any cache you care to hide!

When you come to our playground, be prepared to pay your due.

There will be a winner at the end of this, but it won't be you!

Come prepared to feel the sharp double edges of our sword.

For I am El Diablo, and at my side is the Evil Horde!

El Diablo

I agree with Ltljohn....TUBE TORCHER would leave you flatlanders crying into next week.....if you can make it 1/4 of the way through it! [;)]

While you boys sit in your bedrooms, dens, and cubicles typing ABOUT geocaching, Laughing Moon and I are running 6,000 ft peaks, scrambling down precipitious gorge walls, and slogging through hellacious YET beautiful, terrain (not asphalt) PLACING AND FINDING extreme and creative caches. But if you think we are weak on the urban side, think again....20th place out of 97 teams in Atlanta's Urban Challenge race ..( a form of extreme caching!)

but I haven't even started...Ltljohn, Spyder, and what about Crotalus Rex and the rest of the Smoky Mountain Extreme Team!?!?!? [:0]

....hmmmmm...you may have opened up a nasty dose of Pandora's Box with your nonchalant attitude regarding the WEST....shame on you...

I hope for the sake of all eastern flatlanders, you have an excuse not to invite a team from Asheville........

Wanderlust has spoken.......

NEW member of Smoky Mountain Extreme Team

quote:
Originally posted by gojoey:

Well El Diablo as you can see you have awakened the sleeping giant in the West. Poetry and Prose will not win. The Sleeping Giant is not one but many combined to make one mean Cache Muncher.

Also we do not fear Greensboro either......

A Cache A Day Keeps the Blues Away

okie dokie icon_wink.gif

El Diablo

Love to. I'm fairly new to geocaching but love good competition.I'll stand up for my adopted home of Raleigh anytime. I just hope I'm not lured over to the dark side.

Where and when?

PS just read through all the posts and so far 10/26 works for me.

Be careful what you wish for!

[This message was edited by wimseyguy on September 18, 2002 at 01:33 PM.]

I am from Raleigh, but don't go dissing El Diablo too quickly. He earned that nickname justly, I can say from experience. What was that bumper sticker- Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

JoeyBob

Apprentice member of the Evil Horde, Eastern Division

Actually, I like the idea of Team Caching, basically what El Diablo said awhile ago. Course you guys were only talking about a NC Team Cache event and I'm from Roanoke, VA. But I'm pretty sure we can form a team here. Cache Hunter 1 is already interested, and my caching buddy would most likely be interested as well. I'm sure we could get together a team if we were seriously going to do this. Basically that means if we are going to do this, every city has to get together a team, and announce that they have a team on this page. You should probably limit the amount of cities to 4 (The ones that El Diablo had). Next, someone should make rules about doing this (El Diablo?), and then basically well... plan a date for doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by JeffersonStone:

I'm not too worried about the sleeping giant. Besides, the real giants are in Raleigh, so I wouldn't even worry about those boys in Greensboro. You'll have to come this way to claim your prize. icon_wink.gif

Like I said. icon_wink.gif

O.K. We have all made our brags, now it's time to start putting it together. I know we have a team in Greensboro, Raliegh, Asheville, and it looks like Roanoke. Roanoke and Lynchburg will team together.

The first set will be Greensboro against Roanoke/Lynchburg and Raliegh against Asheville.

The winner of this hunt will face each other. The second hunt or the play off will take place within 1 month of the first hunt.

There has to be rules of course, ones we all agree on. They are purposed as follows.

1. All 6 caches, 5 micros and the main cache must be within a 5 mile radius.

2. From parking to any given cache must be less than 1/2 mile.

3. Difficulty of terrain is limited to a 2 star rating.

4. difficulty of the actual hide of a cache is unlimited, but must be a reasonable hide that a normal cacher could find.

5. We will decide as a group if these rules have been breached. The group will consist of a leader from each city. Any breach of the rules and you are disqualified.

6. Anyone may ask for a hint, but will be penalized 5 mins for each given. Only the leaders of the teams may request a hint or give one.

These rules are purposed with each location in mind. It wouldn't be fair for Asheville and Roanoke to come down to flat terrain and look for caches while sending their opponents to the mountains. Also the same for distance. If the distance was unlimited a team could send you hiking the entire distance of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Difficulty levels are unlimited to give each team an opportunity to display its hiding and hunting skills.

So lets hear what you think.

El Diablo