Custom access code glitch

Rellevartns

I want to edit the starting location of my Adventure Lab which is ready to publish but am getting a bizarre error.

After changing the coordinates I hit UPDATE ADVENTURE and get the attached error, despite making no changes to my 20 character, all letters, no spaces, Custom access code field.

So the coordinates won't update as it thinks I have something invalid in my custom access code which has remained unchanged since I began working on my Adventure Lab, and have run it through multiple tests without issue.

Is this a known bug?

Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance!

RNS

accesscode.JPG

18 minutes ago, Rellevartns said:

I want to edit the starting location of my Adventure Lab which is ready to publish but am getting a bizarre error.

After changing the coordinates I hit UPDATE ADVENTURE and get the attached error, despite making no changes to my 20 character, all letters, no spaces, Custom access code field.

So the coordinates won't update as it thinks I have something invalid in my custom access code which has remained unchanged since I began working on my Adventure Lab, and have run it through multiple tests without issue.

Is this a known bug?

Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance!

RNS

accesscode.JPG

I have never heard of this bug. Strange!

Edit: This post is now out of date. For more updated information, please see my post here.

Hello @Rellevartns and community

As you have noticed, a recent update was made to the Adventure Lab platform that may be causing an error message to appear on your Adventure page. This update affects the "Custom access code." The characters for the "Custom access code" field are now limited to a-z A-Z 0-9 _ and -.

• Custom access code: the word that represents the overall Adventure experience. This word becomes part of the unique URL and QR code that allows you to direct players to the Adventure. 
  • Note: if your "Custom access code" meets the criteria stated above, but includes both capital and lower case letters, and you received an error message, this was a bug it has now been fixed. You should now be able to view and edit your Adventure with no error. 

If you receive an error message about your "Custom access code," or if the link to your Adventure fails to load in a web browser, please do the following; 

• Login to the Adventure Lab builder at **[labs.geocaching.com/builder](labs.geocaching.com/builder)** using your Geocaching.com account
  • Select the Adventure that has the error message
  • Select "Edit"
  • At the bottom of the page is the "Custom access code" field. Update this field to include only the following characters: a-z A-Z 0-9 _ and

Note: if you have shared or publicly posted your unique URL or QR code for others, you will need to share this new, updated code in order for them to access your Adventure by link. 

During this experimental phase of the Adventure Lab platform, we may need to make occasional changes to the platform. We apologize that this change was not announced before going into effect. We sincerely appreciate your patience and for helping to create Adventures for all to enjoy. 

Cheers

Edited by ktaylor211
link to new update
On 10/23/2020 at 6:32 PM, ktaylor211 said:

Hello @Rellevartns and community

As you have noticed, a recent update was made to the Adventure Lab platform that may be causing an error message to appear on your Adventure page. This update affects the "Custom access code." The characters for the "Custom access code" field are now limited to a-z A-Z 0-9 _ and -.

• Custom access code: the word that represents the overall Adventure experience. This word becomes part of the unique URL and QR code that allows you to direct players to the Adventure. 
  • Note: if your "Custom access code" meets the criteria stated above, but includes both capital and lower case letters, and you received an error message, this was a bug it has now been fixed. You should now be able to view and edit your Adventure with no error. 

If you receive an error message about your "Custom access code," or if the link to your Adventure fails to load in a web browser, please do the following; 

• Login to the Adventure Lab builder at **[labs.geocaching.com/builder](labs.geocaching.com/builder)** using your Geocaching.com account
  • Select the Adventure that has the error message
  • Select "Edit"
  • At the bottom of the page is the "Custom access code" field. Update this field to include only the following characters: a-z A-Z 0-9 _ and

Note: if you have shared or publicly posted your unique URL or QR code for others, you will need to share this new, updated code in order for them to access your Adventure by link. 

During this experimental phase of the Adventure Lab platform, we may need to make occasional changes to the platform. We apologize that this change was not announced before going into effect. We sincerely appreciate your patience and for helping to create Adventures for all to enjoy. 

Cheers

Just getting around to giving it another try and had no issues this time.

Was able to update the map icon location.

Thanks for fixing the 'both capital and lower case letters' "Custom access code" bug.

Happy caching!

RellevartNS

6 hours ago, HHL said:

I have found some AdLabs that contains Umlauts in their Custom Access Code. Calling the Urls of those AdLabs always gave routing errors:

47e9c0b3296a3c23bd61f62ed0d2ee49.png

Hans

@HHL and all,
There have been new updates since my last writing, and I am working with our developers to make sure I get the most accurate information to those affected by this. 
Thank you in advance for your patience. Please expect more communication next week regarding this error message. 
Best,
Ktaylor211

• Upvote 1

Greetings, 

There has been an update to resolve the "Custom Access Code" error, details below. 

The "Custom Access Code" portion of the Adventure Lab builder has been removed in order to prevent errors of the kind discussed in this thread. This means that Adventure creators no longer see this portion of the Adventure building process and now have automatically-generated links that can be used for sharing Adventures. 

There are a limited number of creators that had previously created a "Custom Access Code" that experienced errors. For these Adventures, we have updated the QR code and URL to remove the "Custom Access Code" and they are now automatically-generated QR code and URL links.

For creators who encountered "Custom Access Code" error messages, you can expect the following: 

• The QR code and/or URL to your Adventure will need to be re-shared.
  • The old QR code and URL will lead to a "not found" message. 

Thank you for your patience as we continue to fine-tune the Adventure Lab platform. 

6 minutes ago, ktaylor211 said:

Hi Hans, can you let me know the name of the Adventure or the username you created it under? Thank you!

I haven't created them - I found them. The rerouting errors do appear when I've been trying to open the AdLab's description from this site:

https://labs.geocaching.com/logs

The adventures' names are:

Der 1.KINDERCACHE_BÜCHEN_Ein Ort mit Geschichte_

Eine kleine Tour durch Lohbrügge - Teil 4

Eine kleine Tour durch Lohbrügge - Teil 3

Kurpark Lüneburg 5

Eine kleine Tour durch Lohbrügge - Teil 2

Eine kleine Tour durch Lohbrügge - Teil 1

Hans

On 11/5/2020 at 1:18 PM, HHL said:

I found them

I understand, thank you for the clarification Hans. As noted in my update, there will need to be action taken by the creator in order for you, as a player, to have a valid link to the Adventure. 
"For creators who encountered "Custom Access Code" error messages, you can expect the following: 

• The QR code and/or URL to your Adventure will need to be re-shared.
  • The old QR code and URL will lead to a "not found" message."
Edited by ktaylor211
8 hours ago, ktaylor211 said:

[...] As noted in my update, there will need to be action taken by the creator in order to you, as a player, to have a valid link to the Adventure. [...]

I noticed that. But the wrong links are provided by HQs website. Obviously I'm not able to change anything there. HQ has to provide working links with that web page.

Edited by HHL
On 11/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, xjurasek said:

Hi,

I found more then 100 LAB adventures in Czech with diacritics in "Smart link"? How can owners repair it?

Petr

2-3 weeks ago I would say that the only way is for them to change the custom url. But since this feature is removed, there is nothing they can do.

• Funny 1
On 11/4/2020 at 12:58 PM, ktaylor211 said:

There has been an update to resolve the "Custom Access Code" error, details below. 

The "Custom Access Code" portion of the Adventure Lab builder has been removed in order to prevent errors of the kind discussed in this thread. This means that Adventure creators no longer see this portion of the Adventure building process and now have automatically-generated links that can be used for sharing Adventures. 

There are a limited number of creators that had previously created a "Custom Access Code" that experienced errors. For these Adventures, we have updated the QR code and URL to remove the "Custom Access Code" and they are now automatically-generated QR code and URL links.

Update: the team at HQ has completed the work needed to ensure that all Adventures are now available via their deep link, both on mobile devices and in web browsers. For those Adventures that had custom access codes with characters that broke their links, these Adventures now have automatically-generated GUID url's, just as all other Adventures now have. Many thanks for your patience.

• Helpful 1