Change posted coordinates on a Mystery cache

Jayeffel

I have a Mystery cache published , it is the bonus cache for an Adventure Lab.

I set up the cache with one set of coordinates as the posted coordinates, set to Virual, nothing physical at that point. I then had a waypoint at the place the cache was placed, with the actuual coordinatyes list as to be completely hidden. The clues to that cache' s coordinates are in the AL stage journals. Solution checker is on.

I got a message from Geocoaching.com wondering why I had a posted set of coordinates 15' from the final. I had merely changed a numeral  on each set of coordinates. 

I went back this evening to find coordinates  of a spot a bit farther away, but within 2 miles. I got coordinates there but when going to change them on my cache page I see the actual coordinates are shown as posted. Not sure how to go about correcting them. I think anyone looking at new caches for instance and seeing that cache listed can goto those coordinates and sign the log , claiming a find. I desire it to be found only by those completing the AL. 

'

Would  my initial screen show different from other cachers pages?

Edit: Cannot do what I wanted the way I  wanted- I got new coordinates but cannot moves coordinate more than 528 feet from the original. Besides,  I think I erred.  The coordinates shown I think now are those for the virtual, not the real coordinates which should show up in solution checker; read my less than very legible notes! 

I will let it go and see what happens. 

Edited by Jayeffel
30 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

I will let it go and see what happens. 

It seems you already know what happens. Total confusion!

30 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

I desire it to be found only by those completing the AL. 

That's probably a common feeling, but you can't limit who can find the cache.

31 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

Would  my initial screen show different from other cachers pages?

No. 

If it's already been published, you have to use an Update Coordinates log to change the posted coordinates, but to change the final coordinates you edit the cache page.

image.png.6e112cdb0cf7cde5bae3623894b94be8.png

Make sure the visibility of the final coordinates is set to Hide Completely.

If you need to move either by more than 161 metres, you'll have to get your reviewer to do that for you.

I thought it was odd that your hidden final waypoint for the actual location was so close to the bogus posted coordinates.  But, since both latitude and longitude were different by several digits, I assumed it was intentional and published the cache.

The posted coordinates and the final waypoint (which is properly coded as "hide completely") are still 15 feet apart.  The posted coordinates are in the middle of a highway traffic lane, while the hidden waypoint is along the shoulder.  This made sense upon review.  The actual coordinates are NOT the same as the posted coordinates.  Perhaps you used the solution checker and/or the corrected coordinates pencil?  I also assume that you are not looking at the earlier draft version of your cache page, which you archived.  That version had the posted and final coordinates at the same spot, more than 100 feet away from the page you submitted.

Your Mystery Cache's actual location must match what you coded into your Adventure Lab.  I don't know what that is.  You may need to add an instruction on the cache page for deriving the final location of the bonus cache.  ("Take the coordinates given in the Adventure Lab journal and add 123 to the latitude and subtract 087 from the longitude.")  Problems like the one you're trying to fix are why it's a best practice to use variables within the Adventure Lab (A=6, B=7, etc.).  That way, if you ever change the cache location, you can edit the formula in the cache description to say A+2, B-3, etc.

You can edit an Additional Waypoint without direct reviewer involvement as explained earlier.  If you want to move the posted coordinates by more than 528 feet, you will need to write me an email that includes the cache name, GC Code and the new coordinates.

• Helpful 1

I went and found a spot @ 489 feet away that will work for new posted coordinates. When posted under the ""update/change coordinates" the distance is  a bit different, but only a few feet. I had found a spot last night that would work for my purposes except it was 1.4 miles away, and there was already a mystery cache that on the app showed the distance .1 mile away Would be close.

What I have should suffice, thanks for the help and guidance. 

Edited by Jayeffel
punctuation

You may want to check your spelling for the name of the city on your bonus cache. And I think it's just a tiny bit confusing that you say you must complete the certain Adventure Lab but that Adventure Lab has a different title than the one in your bonus cache description.  Can they match?

Are the posted coordinates now where you want them? ?