How to edite a published Ad.Lab

ZipnLoc

9 minutes ago, ZipnLoc said:

I would like to edit one answer in one of my already published adventure Lab. But i can not find how and where, on my computer and on the geocaching.com site , to do this . Could someone explain how to access my Adv. Lab so i can edit it?

Thanks so much

ZipnLoc

You need to go into the Adventure Lab Builder website (https://labs.geocaching.com/builder/adventures). This link can also be found in the Help Centre in the Steps to Create an Adventure Lab page.

Be aware that users who have the AL downloaded to their device have a cached copy of the information. So if you change things like a question and the answer, their device will still show the old one information. They can swipe left to remove the cached copy and reload it but you need to communicate this. I just tested this with a change to an Answer on one I'm building using Test mode and confirmed this behavior which I suspected.  So edit with care.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, rragan said:

Be aware that users who have the AL downloaded to their device have a cached copy of the information. So if you change things like a question and the answer, their device will still show the old one information. They can swipe left to remove the cached copy and reload it but you need to communicate this. I just tested this with a change to an Answer on one I'm building using Test mode and confirmed this behavior which I suspected.  So edit with care.

Can you help me understand the situation when this would happen? They go to the location but don't answer the question yet? I didn't know these things were downloaded. 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

Can you help me understand the situation when this would happen? They go to the location but don't answer the question yet? I didn't know these things were downloaded. 

I tested some more. It looks like merely viewing the lab on a map and tapping it will download most of the info to the device.  I put my lab into test mode with changes to the question and answer on two locations before triggering test. Then I scanned the QR code to load my test mode lab (much as a user would who just scanned a QR code on the reall thing). The first location accepted only my modified answer as correct. Then I put the phone in airplane mode and the second location showed the modified question and the modified answer was accepted.

Conclusion is that most everything is downloaded when the lab is first opened. I'm guessing optional YouTube videos are not downloaded. 

Which, of course, raises the question "Why can't I play labs when I have no data signal if I open them while still having data?". I'm speculating that logging the find requires data so that your find counts in the HQ server are correct. Bear in mind that I was in Test mode so finds don't get logged so this all might not work for a public AL.  Still, one could imagine the finds could be saved to synch later when data is available allowing pre-loaded labs to be played even where your cell coverage is absent.  That would be nice to have one day. Labs with YouTube might not be able to work in this setup though.

To test - maybe have someone post a legit AL with a minor typo, or slight glitch in the image. Enough that it can be done if nothing changes and without requiring to tell people to 'redownload' the lab. Then once it's live you test the effect of edits as people open it for the first time, or more, and not significantly alter the experience.  (other than those keyword answers at least)

I have to amend my earlier comments. I just edited the description and image on one of mine and the app showed the changes immediately. Maybe things have been improved with respect to updating cached data based on last edit time or something. I didn't mess with the question and answer so can't vouch for those.

• Upvote 2