Adventure map icon anchor

The A-Team

One thing that bugs me as a technical user is that the anchor point on the main map icons is in the wrong spot. The icon has a point on the bottom similar to the stereotypical Google Maps icon, and a user would expect that this point is where the icon is pointing. However, the anchor seems to be set for the center of the icon. This means that as you zoom in and out, the point on the bottom of the icon points to wildly different places and never the actual location of the Adventure. Fixing this should be as easy as determining the pixel location of the point at the bottom of the icon and adjusting the code accordingly.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:17 AM, HHL said:

I tested some AdLabs and the anchor point is exactly on spot where the first LabCache is located.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. The icons that suffer from the issue are the ones on the initial map displaying all of the Adventures in the area (the "Explore" tab). They have a pin-like shape: round but with a tapered point at the bottom. Users would expect that point to be the location being indicated.

As HHL showed, the round icons for the individual locations within an Adventure don't have the same issue, because they're designed such that the center of the icon points to the location.

No, he's definitely pointing out that the icon use is peculiar.  Any time you get a reverse teardrop icon in other apps, the point of the drop is the map point that is of interest.  In this case, they used that style of icon, but it's the centroid of the thing -- actually, the center of the circular part, that is the point of interest.  It's an odd way of using that particular icon.  Not intuitive at all since no one else we know uses them that way.

My larger complaint is that when you zoom up on the map that indicates the start point, and in gray circles, the other points, zooming up on any of these points causes a location shift.  Best I can tell, there's a built-in 'tilt' in the view -- not a clean vertical/overhead orientation -- in the imagery being rendered from Google.  Like what you have after zooming in GE until you get around to using the "U" key to clean it up again.  Zooming in/out causes the circles to move on the ground image.