Oregon 700 caches found

ras_oscar

I have my gecoching profile set to hide caches I have found on my GPSr. How does the unit record that I found a cache  internally when I enter a found it log on it?  

Reason I'm asking: a week ago I found a couple caches. Entered "found it" logs in the field, went home and fetched them into GSAK. Entered the real log text and published to Groundspeak. Today I went out to find the remaining hides in the same area and those two had returned to the map as unfound. I try to keep my GPSr free from as much extraneous data files as possible, so I assume I inadvertentely deleted something.

An allied question: the GPSr keeps a running total of the number of caches found since the unit was first purchased. Where is that data stored? if it's just a number I'm ok. However, I don't need the unit to keep all the detail of these found caches available If I want to explore previously found caches I will run a PQ.

Edited by ras_oscar
phat phingrs mk fr pr splg

There is an internal database.  It seems to gather its data from GPX files (such as Pocket Queries) that have a "Found" flag, and it adds found caches as you log them in real time into the device (even offline).  Go back to the map, and now it shows them "Found".  I haven't noticed any particular problems with how it manages Found/Not Found, but I usually load a large PQ for a place I intend to hunt, and then the map would show the data that matches the site.

There is a place on the device to manually enter the total number of found caches.  You can set it anything you like, and it keeps counting from there.

2 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

I have my gecoching profile set to hide caches I have found on my GPSr. How does the unit record that I found a cache  internally when I enter a found it log on it?  

Reason I'm asking: a week ago I found a couple caches. Entered "found it" logs in the field, went home and fetched them into GSAK. Entered the real log text and published to Groundspeak. Today I went out to find the remaining hides in the same area and those two had returned to the map as unfound. I try to keep my GPSr free from as much extraneous data files as possible, so I assume I inadvertentely deleted something.

When you fetch caches into GSAK, the 'geocache_visit.txt' file is read and deleted from the GPSr (this is where the Found/DNF/WR/NM log info is kept) - depending on how you have GSAK set-up it might be copied to the computer and saved.  If you haven't then re-export the cache list from GSAK (now not containing the newly found caches) the GPX/GGZ files probably still contain those found caches, hence you are seeing them on the unit.

5 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

An allied question: the GPSr keeps a running total of the number of caches found since the unit was first purchased. Where is that data stored? if it's just a number I'm ok. However, I don't need the unit to keep all the detail of these found caches available If I want to explore previously found caches I will run a PQ.

So many answers for the questions you ask already available at GPSrChive. Alas, we now have the 'Social Media Generation' - those who would rather ask random strangers for advise by posting on FB or Twitter instead of doing any research for themselves, which is far more gratifying, BTW.

I suspect you may have deleted the 'geocache_visits.txt' file from your GPSr when 'fetching the logs' with GSAK.

And the number of found geocaches is easily edited in the Setup menu of any Garmin GPSr.