Jump to content

TEXAS TEXAS TEXAS TEXAS TEXAS


VentureForth
Followers 0

Recommended Posts

DANG!!!!

Well HELLO TEXAS!!!!

I will say that I just got back from San Antonio last week for my first visit to Texas. VERY NICE and lots of friendly people. Loved hiking in the woods out there. I found several good caches and created one in cache starved S.Ant.

 

Welcome to the South and Southeast Forum!!!

 

3512_200.jpg

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by CacheProfessor:

How are plans going for the next breakfast?


The next event anyone has put on the calendar is scheduled for Saturday, April 20. It is a potluck picnic with caching games. See listing at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16822.

 

quote:
Is anyone considering a North Dallas breakfast for us guys in Fisco, Plano and Mckinney?
Ummm.... I don't know, are you? icon_biggrin.gif

 

Seriously, those who have grabbed the ball and seen to it that the events occurred understandably planned them in their neck of the woods. You plan where you know. The first one we planned was set 30 minutes northeast of us to try to put it closer for those in Dallas, Denton, and Collin counties. (No slight intended, VF!) I personally am not familiar with the Frisco/Plano/Allen/McKinney corridor. I wouldn't be able to begin planning an event for that area because I would have zero concept of what would make a likely venue.

 

It's not like there is (yet) a formal organization in the North Texas area with a committee planning events and trying to spread them around. And trying to leave things hanging and see who would jump up and plan something didn't work... notice no event in January or February. For March I nudged someone, who had thankfully been giving it some thought herself, and *boom* we had a breakfast. I grabbed April because some out-of-area folks indicated to me that they wanted to come this way and that was a good time for them. But May and beyond are not posted, nor even spoken for so far as I know. If you're interested, start planning and as soon as you know for sure, start talking it up here, then get it listed ASAP.

 

If you plan it, they WILL come! First 2 breakfasts (last year) ran 30-35 in attendance. The Christmas in July event had 15-20 (evening and had to find a cache first). The March breakfast? I don't have the sign-up sheets, but at least *75* people (kids included, but a small percentage) posted that they would be coming! We're guessing 75-100 at the April thing. So plan big! You put one on up there, and so long as no commitments which cannot be rescheduled exist, our family will come.

 

Best of luck, I know the drive is less than thrilling.

 

T-storm

 

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by CacheProfessor:

How are plans going for the next breakfast?


The next event anyone has put on the calendar is scheduled for Saturday, April 20. It is a potluck picnic with caching games. See listing at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16822.

 

quote:
Is anyone considering a North Dallas breakfast for us guys in Fisco, Plano and Mckinney?
Ummm.... I don't know, are you? icon_biggrin.gif

 

Seriously, those who have grabbed the ball and seen to it that the events occurred understandably planned them in their neck of the woods. You plan where you know. The first one we planned was set 30 minutes northeast of us to try to put it closer for those in Dallas, Denton, and Collin counties. (No slight intended, VF!) I personally am not familiar with the Frisco/Plano/Allen/McKinney corridor. I wouldn't be able to begin planning an event for that area because I would have zero concept of what would make a likely venue.

 

It's not like there is (yet) a formal organization in the North Texas area with a committee planning events and trying to spread them around. And trying to leave things hanging and see who would jump up and plan something didn't work... notice no event in January or February. For March I nudged someone, who had thankfully been giving it some thought herself, and *boom* we had a breakfast. I grabbed April because some out-of-area folks indicated to me that they wanted to come this way and that was a good time for them. But May and beyond are not posted, nor even spoken for so far as I know. If you're interested, start planning and as soon as you know for sure, start talking it up here, then get it listed ASAP.

 

If you plan it, they WILL come! First 2 breakfasts (last year) ran 30-35 in attendance. The Christmas in July event had 15-20 (evening and had to find a cache first). The March breakfast? I don't have the sign-up sheets, but at least *75* people (kids included, but a small percentage) posted that they would be coming! We're guessing 75-100 at the April thing. So plan big! You put one on up there, and so long as no commitments which cannot be rescheduled exist, our family will come.

 

Best of luck, I know the drive is less than thrilling.

 

T-storm

 

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by CacheProfessor:

What yahoo forums? icon_smile.gif

How are plans going for the next breakfast?

 

Is anyone considering a North Dallas breakfast for us guys in Fisco, Plano and Mckinney?


 

If ya'll want to add in Lewisville/Flower Mound area as well as Denton area (since we are all in the north dallas area) and are interested in doing something like this, let me know. We could do something similar for the locals.

 

As for the entire D/FW area, I am considering putting something together for June. Any ideas or suggestions will be welcome. Brokenwing has already offered some great advice. icon_cool.gif

 

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by CacheProfessor:

What yahoo forums? icon_smile.gif

How are plans going for the next breakfast?

 

Is anyone considering a North Dallas breakfast for us guys in Fisco, Plano and Mckinney?


 

If ya'll want to add in Lewisville/Flower Mound area as well as Denton area (since we are all in the north dallas area) and are interested in doing something like this, let me know. We could do something similar for the locals.

 

As for the entire D/FW area, I am considering putting something together for June. Any ideas or suggestions will be welcome. Brokenwing has already offered some great advice. icon_cool.gif

 

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by CacheProfessor:

 

Is anyone considering a North Dallas breakfast for us guys in Fisco, Plano and Mckinney?


 

Please, someone plan a breakfast in the North Dallas area! There are still a BUNCH of caches I haven't had a chance to hit up there!

 

If someone in the 'burbs north of Big D plans something, us Cowtowners will show up! icon_biggrin.gif

 

25021_1200.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by CacheProfessor:

 

Is anyone considering a North Dallas breakfast for us guys in Fisco, Plano and Mckinney?


 

Please, someone plan a breakfast in the North Dallas area! There are still a BUNCH of caches I haven't had a chance to hit up there!

 

If someone in the 'burbs north of Big D plans something, us Cowtowners will show up! icon_biggrin.gif

 

25021_1200.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Ron & Jen:

How formal does this little get-together need to be? I'm thinking breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Denton one Saturday soon. And what time works for people?


 

Not formal at all. The one thing that needs to be arranged is a room for about 15-25 people.

 

The other thing to think about is when. Would you like to do it before or after Brokenwings weekend.

 

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

 

[This message was edited by inceptor on March 28, 2002 at 05:28 PM.]

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

 

Not formal at all. The one thing that needs to be arranged is a room for about 15-25 people.


 

15-25???? Web-ling himself almost brings that many! icon_wink.gif At the first breakfast, we had about 35, and that was when no one knew each other.

 

And at the 3rd breakfast, it was 70-80.

 

I theenk we need a beeger bawks. icon_smile.gif

 

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

 

Not formal at all. The one thing that needs to be arranged is a room for about 15-25 people.


 

15-25???? Web-ling himself almost brings that many! icon_wink.gif At the first breakfast, we had about 35, and that was when no one knew each other.

 

And at the 3rd breakfast, it was 70-80.

 

I theenk we need a beeger bawks. icon_smile.gif

 

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

Link to comment

I found an old forum where there was a discussion about geocaching business (type) cards. Did anyone around here have any made? If you did may I have one so I can have some printed? I do not have the ability print these myself. Would you mind bringing one to Brokenwing/T-Storms get together? This would be greatly appreciated!

 

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

Link to comment

Are the meetings [Ntga] going to take the place of the breakfasts? I sure hope not. But I understand that two (event?) caches in a month may be too many.

What about the kids. It might not be as fun for them. Will we eventually have something for them at the meetings? I know one cacher said seperating the kids from the adults was a bad idea 'cuz they won't feel like part of the group. How does everyone feel about kids at the meeting? I wasn't sure if they were welcome during the last one. Just curious.

Link to comment

I hope the breakfasts don't go away!!! I enjoy meeting fellow cachers in a social setting.

 

As for kids at the meetings, I certainly don't have a problem with it as long as they are not disruptive. Having 3 of the most disruptive kids I know, and still wanting to attend meetings, I am trying to work out something.

 

Sea Wolf of The Wolfpack

Link to comment

Game 4 of Minute War is going to begin shortly and I'm trying to recruit a player (or players) based in Texas to join Team West. West has come close but not won any of the previous 3 games. We need a player or two with that Remember the Alamo spirit to break into the winner's circle.

 

For those who haven't heard of Minute War it is similar to capture the flag with virtual flags played with GPSRs. The web site is minutewar dot org. When there, click on the Polls button to join a team.

 

Our primary goal is to have fun - don't hold back because you are concerned about 'good strategy' or 'making the correct move' or 'speeling correctly'. The overall game will get better and better for all players as we add new players.

Glenn

Link to comment

As for the monthly meetings, since they will be in the same place, on a schedule, I would not make them event caches any more. Announcing the meetings can be successfully advertised here in the forums, dfwgeocaching and NTGA mail groups and, of course, www.ntga.net. First one was fun - used the GPS to find the library, but that's that. Would like to see breakfasts stay an integral part of the social geocaching activity. It should also be devoid of agenda (I'll admit that the last one I did was specifically for that purpose, but everyone knew that, too) because many people who don't care about organizing want to still gather together and EAT. icon_biggrin.gif

 

So, to sum up - Meetings are monthly, but don't make 'em event caches. Various cachers should instigate and promote their own random event-cache breakfasts whenever they want (keep it rational, though!!) where ever they want.

 

Remember that the idea behind any cache is the HUNT. icon_wink.gif

 

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Link to comment

As for the monthly meetings, since they will be in the same place, on a schedule, I would not make them event caches any more. Announcing the meetings can be successfully advertised here in the forums, dfwgeocaching and NTGA mail groups and, of course, www.ntga.net. First one was fun - used the GPS to find the library, but that's that. Would like to see breakfasts stay an integral part of the social geocaching activity. It should also be devoid of agenda (I'll admit that the last one I did was specifically for that purpose, but everyone knew that, too) because many people who don't care about organizing want to still gather together and EAT. icon_biggrin.gif

 

So, to sum up - Meetings are monthly, but don't make 'em event caches. Various cachers should instigate and promote their own random event-cache breakfasts whenever they want (keep it rational, though!!) where ever they want.

 

Remember that the idea behind any cache is the HUNT. icon_wink.gif

 

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Link to comment

I figure that a good number of people will not want to get involved in the politics of running the organization so they will probably not attend the meetings but still attend the breakfasts and most of those that did attend the meeting were the people who seem to be very dedicated to the sport so I doubt that the would choose the meeting over the breakfast and come to both.

 

As for posting the meetings as caches, we need to keep in mind that the subsequent postings are more for potential new members. I have had at least 5 inquiries (over the past 2 weeks alone!!!) about the meetings and the group because of these "event caches." You may be correct in that you may not want to post these caches as a "find" if you have been there once but there are plenty of people who were unable to attend the first time and a number of newbies (potential new members) who used this as a way to find out about our group. It is for these people that I believe that we need to keep posting the meetings as event caches.

 

Wolf Song

 

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke.

 

"Those who give up essential freedoms for security, deserve neither freedom nor security." - Benjamin Franklin

Link to comment

Howdy All,

 

Just wanted to pop in here and say Howdy. I am new to GeoCaching, but hope to participate more. I might give Benchmarking a try, too.

 

I got to meet a couple of people at the first NTGA meeting in Grand Prairie, but unfortunately, I couldn't stay for the meeting. Maybe some other time.

 

Jeephoto

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by christophe:

I think there is an event cache in AUstin pretty soon. Anybody have any info?


 

sounds like this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=33557

 

it's easy to search for events that have not yet taken place,

from the main geocaching.com page search by state, this will list all in the state by date order, any listed at a future date will be on top.

 

how4.gif No matter where you go... There you are!

NTGA member

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...