Jump to content

A FINE PAIR.


TheRolphsUk
Followers 1

Recommended Posts

There's no need to post a photo - but you could. The "rule" is that to qualify to be given a Fine Pair number the post box and telephone box need to be able to be photographed together - i.e. they have to be close to each other.

 

Max - in the UK there seems to be some sort of bizarre love of creating different countrywide series' of caches. Church micros and railway stations (sidetracked) are probably the best known. The Fine Pair series is a newer one. We have all sorts of others - I've noticed fire stations recently for example.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I have never heard of that term.

 

That's odd! I just wanted to have a look at TO's profile to see whether they are from the UK, and got a DNF.
In the UK there's a Fine Pair series of caches. It's usually an old phone box and letter box next to another. Never heard of a photo requirement though. And... well.. my experience with these caches is rather limited as the few I did were all hidden inside the phone box or required info from inside, which had a very distinct odor of pee.

  • Funny 1
Link to comment

Ok so I have looked Into the rules and the only rule is that the phone box and post box must be able to be photographed together and be within 100" of each other. 

I have joined a facebook page now which is primarily about finding this type of series. 

Thank you all for the help or even bothering to comment! 

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Learned something new.

 

Me too. I also finally figured out the meaning behind your username, which was staring me right in the face via your avatar. Though I have to admit, I don't look at avatars too much and hadn't read the text on there. I guess I ... takes off sunglass ... missed it by that much!

Link to comment
On 10/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, Blue Square Thing said:

There's no need to post a photo - but you could. The "rule" is that to qualify to be given a Fine Pair number the post box and telephone box need to be able to be photographed together - i.e. they have to be close to each other.

 

Max - in the UK there seems to be some sort of bizarre love of creating different countrywide series' of caches. Church micros and railway stations (sidetracked) are probably the best known. The Fine Pair series is a newer one. We have all sorts of others - I've noticed fire stations recently for example.

 

I've seen a few "series" in the U.S. that seem to exist only to provide an excuse to put out another cache.

 

The "Always" series are caches in the parking lot of a certain big box store chain.  Another is one that I've seen in my area called "Drug Wars".  It's basically the placement of two caches in two or more nearby drug stores (pharmacies).  In the U.S. it's somewhat common for chain store business to put in locations close to their competition, sometimes on two or more corners at an intersection of roads.  

Link to comment
1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

 

I've seen a few "series" in the U.S. that seem to exist only to provide an excuse to put out another cache.

 

The "Always" series are caches in the parking lot of a certain big box store chain.  Another is one that I've seen in my area called "Drug Wars".  It's basically the placement of two caches in two or more nearby drug stores (pharmacies).  In the U.S. it's somewhat common for chain store business to put in locations close to their competition, sometimes on two or more corners at an intersection of roads.  

 

Well, that's taught me that it's not just us then :-)

Link to comment

In our region, Walgreens has become the Borg, assimilating the retail pharmacy business.  For a while (back ca. 2012?), they were running ads that included words along the lines of "In a town called Perfect, there's a Walgreens on every corner".  Here, we have 'Mondo's on Every Corner #xx', and I believe we ended with something like 61 of them, each at a local Walgreens pharmacy.  The few that got missed were quickly picked up by other cachers (eg. 5H58R).

 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

 

I've seen a few "series" in the U.S. that seem to exist only to provide an excuse to put out another cache.

 

The "Always" series are caches in the parking lot of a certain big box store chain.  Another is one that I've seen in my area called "Drug Wars".  It's basically the placement of two caches in two or more nearby drug stores (pharmacies).  In the U.S. it's somewhat common for chain store business to put in locations close to their competition, sometimes on two or more corners at an intersection of roads.  


I don’t get too excited about the various UK series, but we do have an awful lot of nice churches (and thousands of ‘Church Micro’ caches!), and our red telephone and post boxes are iconic...

 

With the phone boxes rapidly disappearing from our streets, I do like the concept of the Fine Pair series, even if I don’t actively seek them out.

 

From what I see, the red phone boxes that remain are being saved by their local communities for use as little free libraries or for publicly accessible defibrillators. ? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

From what I see, the red phone boxes that remain are being saved by their local communities for use as little free libraries or for publicly accessible defibrillators. ? 

 

Thanks for that.  I thought some were left mostly for tourists, who kinda expect them to still be there.     :)

Link to comment
5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

 

Thanks for that.  I thought some were left mostly for tourists, who kinda expect them to still be there.     :)

 

Those and the odd blue police box.

 

But out here properly in the sticks, there's still pretty much a red box in every village. Rarely with a (working) phone in them, but it's too out of the way to make it viable to remove them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, IceColdUK said:


That is probably the case in London!

Like this one we found.

GLT8N2CD

Had to wait for regular tourists taking photos and selfies.

Found itcolleda found 2.gif Three London Icons

Thursday, 28 September 2017London, United Kingdom NW NW 16951.2 km from your home location

A quick find as it was partly visible. Photo snapping muggles had moved on making it easy to grab and sign. Thanks FTC
Edited to add TB visit.

Link to comment
On 10/17/2020 at 8:40 PM, Blue Square Thing said:

There's no need to post a photo - but you could. The "rule" is that to qualify to be given a Fine Pair number the post box and telephone box need to be able to be photographed together - i.e. they have to be close to each other.

 

Max - in the UK there seems to be some sort of bizarre love of creating different countrywide series' of caches. Church micros and railway stations (sidetracked) are probably the best known. The Fine Pair series is a newer one. We have all sorts of others - I've noticed fire stations recently for example.

That's correct and they have now village signs and now the adventure lab! I mean how much time do these people have!? 

Link to comment
On 10/19/2020 at 7:20 AM, Blue Square Thing said:

 

Those and the odd blue police box.

 

But out here properly in the sticks, there's still pretty much a red box in every village. Rarely with a (working) phone in them, but it's too out of the way to make it viable to remove them.

 

Edinburgh is full of old police boxes. There's a Wherigo which requites you to find them all. I think there are about 30 left.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...