Archived hides how do they roll off map?

klipsch49er

A cacher passed away in my area 6 years ago.  Slowly the family has let the hides become DNFs and archived.  One in particular is in a very  well hidden graveyard and I would like to drop a hide there, can't do that until the listing rolls off the map.  When does that happen?  Is it automatic or does it require an action by a reviewer?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by klipsch49er
misspelling
2 minutes ago, klipsch49er said:

A cacher passed away in my area 6 years ago.  Slowly the family has let the hides become DNFs and archived.  One in particular is in a very  well hidden graveyard and I would like to drop a hide there, can't do that until the listing rolls off the map.  When does that happen?  Is it automatic or does it require an action by a reviewer?

Thanks in advance!

If the CO is inactive (deceased) you can post a "Needs Archived" log. A reviewer will then step in and handle it. Of course you can always contact the family if you know them and have them archive the cache if they can access the account.

"Inactive" CO for 6 yearsseems like a good reason to archive.

• Surprised 1
24 minutes ago, on4bam said:

If the CO is inactive (deceased) you can post a "Needs Archived" log.

Sometimes the late cacher's friends look after their hides, and might take offence to an NA for a cache in good condition.

Reviewers can be understanding (and aware) in such circumstances.  That's been my experience.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Sure, but how does the archived hide stop showing the placeholder on the map when you try to place a new hide there?  The original hide is gone archived etc, but the red balloon indicating that a hide occupies that spot prevents me from placing a new one.  What causes that reserved area red balloon to go away?

1 minute ago, klipsch49er said:

Sure, but how does the archived hide stop showing the placeholder on the map when you try to place a new hide there?  The original hide is gone archived etc, but the red balloon indicating that a hide occupies that spot prevents me from placing a new one.  What causes that reserved area red balloon to go away?

Where do you see archived caches on the map? Once archive they do not show anymore.

Just now, klipsch49er said:

If the cache has already been archived, but the red circle still appears, then either (1) there is another cache besides the one that was archived, or (2) the cache database used to draw the red circles hasn't been updated yet.

How long has it been since the cache was archived?

• Helpful 1

When a cache is archived, it no longer blocks new caches, or shows on any Geocaching.com maps.

I suspect you're referring to the temporarily disabled hide, GC283DJ.  

A temporarily disabled cache holds its place.  I'd expect in this case that the cache will be archived by reviewer shortly.  If it isn't, you could email the reviewer with the GC Code, and ask for archive soon.

• Helpful 2
On 10/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, klipsch49er said:

A cacher passed away in my area 6 years ago.  Slowly the family has let the hides become DNFs and archived. 

One in particular is in a very  well hidden graveyard and I would like to drop a hide there, can't do that until the listing rolls off the map. 

When does that happen?  Is it automatic or does it require an action by a reviewer?

Thanks in advance!

The NA that you posted has been acknowledged by a Reviewer with a temporary disable.   

If the family isn't maintaining, it'll probably be archived soon.  Curious though... 

- This cache was published ten years ago.  You didn't say, did you already ask the property manager/landowner about placing yours there ?

Just because a cache "was" there doesn't automatically mean the property owner/manager is still open to a new one.  :)

• Funny 1
  • Love 1