Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
xSilence8x

Baby geocaching account - is it possible?

Recommended Posts

Hello,

recently I have noticed that there is a baby geocaching account, who logged my caches/events. The logs look like "I found this cache with my parents lying in a baby carriage" or "I visited this event sleeping in my baby carriage". This baby geocacher also logs and finds Wherigo, virtual, letterbox and mystery caches. I dont think it is OK that the baby solves mystery caches etc...We all know it is not possible that it could solve these things. Moreover this baby geocacher organized one community celebration event. 

I have read terms of use of geocaching. I know that for young children parents can manage their geocaching account. But in this case it is a baby of age <1 year old.. It is all right? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I understand what you're saying, but there's a lot of folks who created accounts for their kids.  :)

Many families here created accounts for their kids so if/when they're grown, they'll automatically have all caches logged in order.

Some use a trackable, and visit it to each cache the child was present, so the child has a record of what caches they were at, if interested.

One nearby has an account of a child since riding in a carrier every day Mom's out.  She's outside with Mom in fresh air.

We all know that baby isn't writing logs, but the logs with picks are adorable.  Probably gives Mom a fun extra thing to do too.

Folks these days need fun things to do.  Lockdowns n stuff are making some bonkers.  If this helps some, who cares ?   ;)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, xSilence8x said:

I have read terms of use of geocaching. I know that for young children parents can manage their geocaching account. But in this case it is a baby of age <1 year old.. It is all right? 

Why wouldn't it be? Are you under the impression that the baby's parents are not complying with the "parents or guardians must own and manage their accounts" clause of the terms of use?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

there's a lot of folks who created accounts for their kids.  :)

My son and his wife met while geocaching, and they now have three children.  Each child got an account on the day they were born, and caches are logged on the kids' accounts as well as the parents when they visit caches together.  True, they didn't actually solve all those puzzle caches, but they were present for the find, and their name is on the logsheet, sometimes we even have photos as proof, cache container in hand!  (Some adults cache this way as well, just tagging along when someone else solved the puzzle, or is leading the way on a multi or Wherigo, but everyone gets their signature in the log).

 

When their kids grow up they can decide what to do with all the finds - Mom and Dad write creative and memorable logs of the experiences, good times with "Grandma and Grandpa" when we've all gone on a cache outing, they are fun to read, and they are only claiming those caches where the kids were actually present.  I don't see anything wrong with that, and they have fun with it too.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

I knew a couple who met while caching. They kept their own  geonames and when their two kids were born, were given their own geonames on the day of their births. The older child is  now a teenager and they still use their  givengeonames.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, xSilence8x said:

Hello,

recently I have noticed that there is a baby geocaching account, who logged my caches/events. The logs look like "I found this cache with my parents lying in a baby carriage" or "I visited this event sleeping in my baby carriage". This baby geocacher also logs and finds Wherigo, virtual, letterbox and mystery caches. I dont think it is OK that the baby solves mystery caches etc...We all know it is not possible that it could solve these things. Moreover this baby geocacher organized one community celebration event. 

I have read terms of use of geocaching. I know that for young children parents can manage their geocaching account. But in this case it is a baby of age <1 year old.. It is all right? 

 

Is this the part you read?

 

  1. Minors. Because of the nature of the game, which requires a cellular data plan or GPS device and the ability to travel to geocache locations, our services are not directed toward anyone under the age of 16. Although individuals under 16 are welcome to geocache, their parents or guardians must own and manage their accounts. You must be 18 or older to post in the Geocaching Forums.

    If you are under the age of 18 but at least 16, you may only use our services with the consent of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

    If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 16 has an account not created and managed by you, then you may alert us via email and request that we delete that child’s personal information.

 

It seems pretty sensible, and I think it addresses your question.  If you have a concern where you've noticed the baby is accessing Geocaching services without parental approval, especially if that is creating problems, contact Groundspeak for guidance.

 

 

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

It's more interesting than logging your history through a personal Trackable Item!

 

You just have to remember to not show the Tracking Code in any pictures you post.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd examine the logs for systemic mis-spellings, peanut butter and consistent use of 'baby-talk'.

If no real evidence exists that the baby is the one doing the typing, then it's probably OK.

 

On the other hand, I once had a GF who talked like a two-year-old all the time, so maybe it's not indicative of anything.

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Wacka said:

and when their two kids were born, were given their own geonames on the day of their births.

I also know caching couples who did this. In fact it's not uncommon at all, and at some time it was a running joke here that sooner or later a couple will create a "baby account" (and start to log finds) on the day the pregnancy test shows a positive ;) .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, xSilence8x said:

I dont think it is OK that the baby solves mystery caches etc...We all know it is not possible that it could solve these things.

 

If the only people logging finds on mystery caches were the ones who solved them, there'd be a lot less mystery cache find logs out there.  I'm not talking about geocachers who find cache solutions on Facebook pages, I just mean a lot of times one person in a group will solve the cache and others will tag along and log it with them.

 

 

Edited by GeoElmo6000
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

 

If the only people logging finds on mystery caches were the ones who solved them, there'd be a lot less mystery cache find logs out there.  I'm not talking about geocachers who find cache solutions on Facebook pages, I just mean a lot of times one person in a group will solve the cache and others will tag along and log it with them.

 

 

 

I really feel dumb if the mystery caches are being solved by babies less than one year old.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post

I think that geocaching was created for everyone. I realize that some geocaches are more serious than others, but geocaching was designed to get people outside, no matter the age. However, I can understand the frusturation of seeing a baby log a found on a puzzle or creating a community celebration.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, xSilence8x said:

I dont think it is OK that the baby solves mystery caches etc...

Solving the puzzle personally isn't a requirement for logging puzzle/mystery caches as Found.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it's a cute idea. I particularly appreciate it when done as if the baby is the geocacher of the family so there's no duplicate log by the parent. When it's exclusively "me, too" logs, it's gets boring quick. Happily, it appears to be boring for the parents, too, since of the cases I've seen, the accounts are used enthusiastically for a few caches, but pretty soon, they stop. Often they're used for special circumstances, like having the kid "host" an event or planting a cache with some kind of kid theme.

 

Not as common these days, but back when I started 10 years ago, a few people had accounts for their dogs, and my impression was similar. Since I haven't seen this for a while, GS might not allow dog accounts anymore.

 

The bottom line is that I don't mind people doing this if they feel like it, and, in practice, I haven't run into any cases where it caused a problem.

Share this post


Link to post

First there were power trails, then the cache health score, and now babies geocaching?

 

that's it! I quit!

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post

Accounts belonging to minors probably shouldn't be hosting events since in most cases they literally can't host events (and even a teenager hosting an event seems a little questionable from an appropriateness standpoint). Ditto for accounts for pets.

 

While I understand the idea of logging a separate account for your kid, it seems silly to start doing so before the child is old enough to actually participate in the activity and have some memory of the experience. When I was 3 years old I went on a cross-country trip, but I don't count anywhere I went on that trip among the places I have visited in my life because I have zero memory of being there. That said, it's somewhat arbitrary and not something I would vote to restrict the way I would prohibit minor accounts from hosting events. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Accounts belonging to minors probably shouldn't be hosting events since in most cases they literally can't host events (and even a teenager hosting an event seems a little questionable from an appropriateness standpoint). Ditto for accounts for pets.

 

While I understand the idea of logging a separate account for your kid, it seems silly to start doing so before the child is old enough to actually participate in the activity and have some memory of the experience. When I was 3 years old I went on a cross-country trip, but I don't count anywhere I went on that trip among the places I have visited in my life because I have zero memory of being there. That said, it's somewhat arbitrary and not something I would vote to restrict the way I would prohibit minor accounts from hosting events. 

If a parent can "own and manage" a minor's account for the purpose of finding caches and logging finds online, then why can't a parent "own and manage" a minor's account for the purpose of hosting an event?

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...