Plus side of Adventure Labs

Rustynails

Since ALs can only be done using phones, I can confirm phones suck for caching.

I was not able to do an AL due to no phone service. I did find a cache using my gpsr.

While doing an AL in a large city I couldn't get closer than 50-60 ft of triggering the question regardless of which direction I walked. 

For me, I guess the plus I see for ALs over, say, a multi covering the same territory, is the way the AL's story unfolds on location rather being all laid out on the cache page beforehand. Not all multis are like that, of course - I have one where the story is told through a series of physical waypoints - but a lot are. Then again there are no doubt ALs that don't really tell any story at all - go to this location and key in the fifteenth word on the sign, go to the next and rinse/repeat - but from my limited experience of them so far, I'd call it a relative plus.

But yeah, the requirement for phone coverage means a lot of what would be great adventures in these parts can't be done as ALs due to lack of service.

8 hours ago, rustynails. said:

While doing an AL in a large city I couldn't get closer than 50-60 ft of triggering the question regardless of which direction I walked. 

I did have full phone coverage when this happened. For some mysterious reason I couldn't get close enough to trigger the question.

8 hours ago, rustynails. said:

Understood -- the problem wasn't cell phone coverage (which can be an issue in the weeds), but rather, quality of GPS fix (which can be an issue in urban areas), and your cell phone isn't helping by giving you a solid fix to work with for the geofencing aspect.

Something that AL owners should realize is that in 'urban canyons', even reception on a real deal handheld GPSr can be seriously compromised by multipath interference, so please do keep your geofencing radii WIDE for ALs placed in those kinds of locations.

• Upvote 2