Total caches per country/state

I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering what you would do with this info?  What meaning is there to knowing what caches were archived 15-20 years ago (or even more recent)?  And wouldn't all the past events skew the numbers?

I've kept a GASK DB of archived caches in my home area (which has changed size a couple of times) and more recently in Washington State as a whole, but I know it's nowhere complete.  WA has 28,000+ caches in it, my archived DB has over 18,000 (I know I have a problem, I'm a data hoarder...) - so what would the total number reveal?

30 minutes ago, The Jester said:

I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering what you would do with this info?  What meaning is there to knowing what caches were archived 15-20 years ago (or even more recent)?  And wouldn't all the past events skew the numbers?

I've kept a GASK DB of archived caches in my home area (which has changed size a couple of times) and more recently in Washington State as a whole, but I know it's nowhere complete.  WA has 28,000+ caches in it, my archived DB has over 18,000 (I know I have a problem, I'm a data hoarder...) - so what would the total number reveal?

Sometimes people just want to know stuff... like you with your DB of archived caches, which has no real purpose except knowledge of what once was.

The number would reveal how many caches there ever have been in an area.  Specifically, I am curious about New Zealand, but the same would apply to any country/state.

• Upvote 1

You can use Project GC for this. Use Map Compare, check None found and One found, add the 'Show disabled/archived' filter, check both of them.

One caveat is the 10.000 caches limit, so you may have to split it up into regions and/or counties. Tedious, but this is all I could think of.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
16 minutes ago, Vooruit! said:

You can use Project GC for this. Use Map Compare, check None found and One found, add the 'Show disabled/archived' filter, check both of them.

One caveat is the 10.000 caches limit, so you may have to split it up into regions and/or counties. Tedious, but this is all I could think of.

That's what I wanted to suggest. As a premium member you can also export this data and use it elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I know how to find the total number of caches currently active (including disabled) in a country or state, that's easy, but is there a way to get the totals including archived, so that I can get the total number of caches there ever were in a certain area?

I've used project-gc for number of caches in a country but don't know if it has numbers for archived caches.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Sometimes people just want to know stuff... like you with your DB of archived caches, which has no real purpose except knowledge of what once was.

The number would reveal how many caches there ever have been in an area.  Specifically, I am curious about New Zealand, but the same would apply to any country/state.

OK, I was just curious.  I started the DB back when caches were sometimes unarchived and didn't want to lose the history (past logs).  Now with the API it's not so needed (being able to get all logs for a cache), but it's built into my macro's and workflow.  The ones I really want to keep are the archived DNF's (they're in a separate DB), they are part of my caching history.