Bookmarking logs

varaless

5 minutes ago, varaless said:

I would suggest to add the possibility to bookmark interesting logs on geocaches to find them quickly. 

Curious ... within this hobby,  are there really people interested enough in (for example...) what you say in a cache log to bookmark it ? 

A log that aroused curiosity or interest for me are few.   Maybe that "helpful" log function (in testing) would work similar for you..           

40 minutes ago, varaless said:

Ok, it's a function of the browser but not in geocaching.com. If I change PC or browser I'll unable to find the bookmarked logs. Right?

There are a number of ways to make bookmarks available on all your devices. I use a browser that is configured to store my bookmarks in the cloud, so any browser logged into my account will have access to my bookmarks.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, niraD said:

There are a number of ways to make bookmarks available on all your devices. I use a browser that is configured to store my bookmarks in the cloud, so any browser logged into my account will have access to my bookmarks.

I thought the idea was more to share the links like the current bookmark lists. After all, couldn't the same suggestion to just create a browser bookmark list could be used to shoot down the idea of the existing geocache bookmark lists if they didn't already exist? In fact, the idea of linking to a log instead of to a geocache is an interesting idea for my most common type of bookmark list: ones confirming compliance to a challenge cache's requirements. Instead of pointing to the cache that satisfies the requirement, I could point to my log showing that I found the cache satisfying the requirement. I'd be in favor of having that ability if challenge caches hadn't been changed to automated confirmation.

I see the logic of the suggestion. My guess is that it would be rather easy to implement just by expanding links in bookmark lists so they could also use the existing links to individual logs. Having said that, I'm not convinced the feature would be used enough to justify the additional complications to the interface and documentation, even ignoring the fact that even if my assessment of "easy to implement" is accurate, that still implies development time that could be used for something more important.

24 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I thought the idea was more to share the links like the current bookmark lists. After all, couldn't the same suggestion to just create a browser bookmark list could be used to shoot down the idea of the existing geocache bookmark lists if they didn't already exist?

I suppose it depends what you do with the bookmark. In the case of bookmarked caches, you can feed the bookmark list to a PQ to get a GPX file that can then be downloaded to your device. Or an API-based app can just download the caches directly from the bookmark list, skipping the PQ.

What would someone do with a bookmarked log? Would you download the cache listing and the specified log (via a PQ or via the API)? Or something else?

If it's just a case of me finding things quickly later, I use browser bookmarks for that. A feature like this that is built into the geocaching.com site should do something more.

14 hours ago, niraD said:

I suppose it depends what you do with the bookmark. In the case of bookmarked caches, you can feed the bookmark list to a PQ to get a GPX file that can then be downloaded to your device. Or an API-based app can just download the caches directly from the bookmark list, skipping the PQ.

Aren't those features recent additions? As I recall, for many years, bookmark lists were just lists, and everyone found them useful even though you couldn't download them to a GPS as a PQ or via the API. I understand your observation that the download features wouldn't make any sense and might even do confusing things if bookmark lists were simply expanded to include pointers to logs, so that's a reason to not implement it that way. But it's not a reason to say the suggestion doesn't make sense.