Promoting mega events

Ragnemalm

I am a but unsure about the rules here. I would like to promote our upcoming mega event, but the rules seem to be very restrictive about that.

How am I permitted to use the word "mega"? Can it be in a cache name, in a cache description? Can it be that even when the mega event in question isn't pointed to? Can I have it in the description but not the title? Or nowhere? Or can I use the word "mega" freely as long as it doesn't explicitly link to the mega?

Can a user name include the word "mega"?

If I make a side event to a mega, surely I must be allowed to describe it as such and point to the mega?

56 minutes ago, Ragnemalm said:

I am a but unsure about the rules here. I would like to promote our upcoming mega event, but the rules seem to be very restrictive about that.

How am I permitted to use the word "mega"? Can it be in a cache name, in a cache description? Can it be that even when the mega event in question isn't pointed to? Can I have it in the description but not the title? Or nowhere? Or can I use the word "mega" freely as long as it doesn't explicitly link to the mega?

Can a user name include the word "mega"?

If I make a side event to a mega, surely I must be allowed to describe it as such and point to the mega?

IIRC it's up to a mega event's committee whether they'll host one additional event on the day of the mega.

Otherwise, I believe it's considered "unofficial", and  not part of the mega.

Promoting Geocaching Events in the Help Center does say, "To help grow the geocaching community, Event Caches are able to promote other geocaching events.", and I find that confusing too.

It does say "Exceptions to side-event policies may be made on a case-by-case basis determined by HQ. " in the Help Center,  so a mail to HQ sounds like a good idea.  :)

See the Help Center articles Side Events for Mega/Giga  and   Promoting Geocaching Events already linked in cerberus1's post.

Of non-event caches used promote event caches, "Any reference to a geocaching event must be placed at the bottom of the cache description, and is limited to one singular sentence similar to: "This cache has been placed for the [insert name of Event here]."   Probably should not put 'mega' into the title of a physical cache, especially one that will have the one sentence.

Event caches cannot have Mega in the title, except for a few long running annual Mega  with Mega in title grandfathered, like  the mega you're probably working on. 

User names aren't restricted except  by terms of use (offensive, vulgar).  

• Helpful 1