Write Note on Trackable permanently crashes app. Requires re-install

HoochDog

Mentioned this in another thread, but needs more of an official page with written steps.  I've reproduced this error 3 times now.

1) Access geocache GC3YD3T
2) Access Trackables section
3) Click "Log" on the trackable "Never Give Up"
4) Click "Write Note"
5) Type something in and click "Post"

This has repeatedly caused the app to fatally crash.  Subsequent restarts crash.  Forces a re-install.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

Mentioned this in another thread, but needs more of an official page with written steps.  I've reproduced this error 3 times now.

1) Access geocache GC3YD3T
2) Access Trackables section
3) Click "Log" on the trackable "Never Give Up"
4) Click "Write Note"
5) Type something in and click "Post"

This has repeatedly caused the app to fatally crash.  Subsequent restarts crash.  Forces a re-install.

13 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

I just followed your steps and cannot reproduce the crash. I wonder if my Lackey-level permissions could be the reason. Is anyone else able to repro?

I just followed the steps and the app totally crashed! Now the app won't open at all. ☹️

Edited by Max and 99

Thirded. I tried  on my own trackable. I used the ipad version of the app since I didn't want to mess with my phone. I originally had an old version of the app, probably dating back to the launch of iPad support earlier this year. As you can see I was able to post a note just fine.

Then I updated the app and tried again. The app crashed and now crashes on start. A note was not posted.

I was also able to reproduce this issue on my iPhone XR and my partner's iPhone 8 Plus.

Geocaching App Version 8.37.0 (1)

iOS 14.2

I've attached screenshots from each step, as outlined by HoochDog. I hope this helps to diagnose and fix the issue, as it could potentially ruin a cacher's day if they are caching in an area with poor service and can't re-download the app as needed.  As far as I can tell, there is no workaround within the app - the only way we can report to the TB owner that a bug is missing is to access it via geocaching.com, and it's not as quick as if this functionality worked within the app.

Thanks,

-GeoNiffs (Valerie, Amy & little nifflers)

IMG_3786.PNG

IMG_3787.PNG

IMG_3788.PNG

IMG_3789.PNG

IMG_3790.PNG

IMG_3791.PNG