Bonus Cache at end of AL.

Jayeffel

I have an AL set up, I  need some fine tuning, then the testing. I have a bonus cache picked out with a new cache initiated on Geoching.com.

I came up with a question. At the place where my AL ends there is an existing mystery cache nearby. The bonus cache I have started is down the road aways ( have not checked but pretty sure way beyond the 528 feet). I was wondering if with that cache's CO permission I could use that cache as the bonus? Once the last stage of the AL is complete the last message will show that cache info. It will not be evident to those using the AL app only. AL uses could miss it, and those using Geocaching.com only would not see the AL. 

The biggest problem I can foresee is using is a bonus, and then it goes missing or is even archived. Not sure I would do that, just wondering.

Also, in my AL stages would it be good or bad to mention that there is a cache in the area, not by name or number? There are several stages that are close to traditional caches. The AL is forcing on historical spots along the Lincoln Highway , this AL in Pa.

It's a bad idea to try to use someone else's mystery cache as your bonus.  The CO has set up a way of obfuscating the true coordinates of that cache by making it a mystery, so would you then tell your AL finders where it was?  Don't don't don't!  If you want a bonus cache then create your own.

I had an AL for a short time that referenced a statue.  A friend had a mystery cache that also referenced that statue.  In my AL write-up I referenced my friend's mystery cache and encouraged people working on my AL to work on that mystery.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Jayeffel said:

I was wondering if with that cache's CO permission I could use that cache as the bonus?

I can't see any reason for this to be something anyone would do to begin with, seeing as how you'd be taking an existing cache, with the ability to solve the puzzle to claim a find once signed, and render it as a find for someone without having to solve the puzzle.  Two potential finds with two different manners of completion now become one find with two potential "solutions".

1 hour ago, Jayeffel said:

Also, in my AL stages would it be good or bad to mention that there is a cache in the area, not by name or number? There are several stages that are close to traditional caches.

I don't see why not, particularly if you mention that fact at the beginning (?) of the AL instead of singling it out at a particular stage.  Not having done one, I don't know if they have a description like a regular cache does. If you do something like that, then I'd make sure to contact the COs of each of them to see if they'd be OK with that as it's my guess that many of the logs they'll begin to receive will be more about the AL than their own cache, which may or may not make for "good neighbors".

8 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

I can't see any reason for this to be something anyone would do to begin with, seeing as how you'd be taking an existing cache, with the ability to solve the puzzle to claim a find once signed, and render it as a find for someone without having to solve the puzzle.  Two potential finds with two different manners of completion now become one find with two potential "solutions".

What I was thinking might work, was refer to the cache number as the bonus, not tell where it is or solving puzzle. or whatever. I am not doing that though, I  have a separate cache entirely as the bonus.  ]

As or description, at each stage there is space to enter info on identifying the place of concern, why you chose  it etc. I guess a mention of a hidden cache could be made there- just stating there is one, not where.  

This is one of those on the spot ideas, that after some thought you wonder about it. Basically I was wondering if it would be allowed, maybe not recommended for many reasons. 

2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I did an AL where the bonus North coord was written in a journal entry, the West coordinate in another journal entry. 

On mine, I reveal one digit of the minutes south and one digit of the minutes east in each journal entry so you need all five to get the complete set of digits. I also offset them from each other so you can't just do three or four locations and guess the remaining digits.

Journal.jpg.6f743131c1b7dc96effe88927574b0b1.jpg

I've seen others that provide one letter each of a five-letter keyword that you then have to enter into a Certitude checker on the bonus cache page to get the coordinates.