What else can you find besides a "cache" ?

Dru Morgan

I've been geocaching since 2002, maybe you've found one of my caches (the one in Las Vegas has about 4000 find to date). But, lately, I find my interests are for finding wineries. Some people want to find every MLB stadium. Others, every National Park. Every State. Every Country. The choices are infinite. 

Is it appropriate to discuss my idea here in a geocaching forum? Every geocacher I have met and interacted with for the last 20 years has had the same bug/urge/desire to get out there and collect all the things - it is what we do. But, at my age, my interests have just morphed a little to find the things that I am passionate about. 

How about you? 

2 minutes ago, Dru Morgan said:

Is it appropriate to discuss my idea here in a geocaching forum?

A discussion of non-geocaches that can be found might be appropriate in the Off Topic forum. But since you are a basic member, you don't have access to that premium feature.

• Helpful 2

Here, a local geocaching organisation runs in parallel with geocaching.com, one of the 'caches' they publish are old trigonometric points - trig points - old survey markers, generally in raised/elevated areas, mountain tops etc. New ones are a GPS antenna on government buildings, and can be tricky to spot.... We strive to collect finds on these as we travel....

IMG_6597.jpg

Edited by lee737
added image
3 hours ago, NanCycle said:

My husband has gotten interested in visiting state corners.  We've done some quite adventurous ones.  Many of them have had geocaches at or near the corner marker.

There are also "high pointers", where people visit the highest location in some region (e.g. highest spot in a U.S. State)

Degree Confluence locations are locations with lat and long coordinates with zero degrees/minutes past the decimal point (e.g N 42.0 E 76.0)

The OP mentions Major League Baseball stadiums but someone I work with "collects" Minor league baseball stadiums as well.  There's a online group that maintains a booklet that can be stamped at each park.  I've got a fair collections of minor league parks as well.  It's an inexpensive way to spend an afternoon or evening.  My most recent was at the Tennessee Smokies stadium in Knoxville.  Some claim that visiting every minor league baseball park in the U.S. is a great way to see America.

22 hours ago, Dru Morgan said:

I've been geocaching since 2002, maybe you've found one of my caches (the one in Las Vegas has about 4000 find to date).

But, lately, I find my interests are for finding wineries. Some people want to find every MLB stadium. Others, every National Park. Every State. Every Country. The choices are infinite. 
Is it appropriate to discuss my idea here in a geocaching forum? Every geocacher I have met and interacted with for the last 20 years has had the same bug/urge/desire to get out there and collect all the things - it is what we do. But, at my age, my interests have just morphed a little to find the things that I am passionate about. 
How about you? 

Looking for certain "things" , maybe Waymarking is more what you're looking for.   For example,  Wineries   is a category.    :)

Less than 300 finds, this hobby in general may not be it.

This site does give souvenirs for every state and many countries, though stats may be the draw along with other interests.

We still use the hobby the way it was expressed when we started.  It was based on location, and not so much centered on a container...

We have multiple hobbies, so we take note of locations that bring us to great hunting, fishing opportunities.

We also look for areas we'd deem unique for rocks n fossils, or one of my favorites, tree/rock climbing with rope.