Trails showing on basecamp but not on Oregon 700

ras_oscar

I have the same maps installed on both Basecamp and my Oregon 700. Today I had an issue I cannot explain.

In Basecamp the trails in a certain area show up, but when I go to the same are on my handheld the trails are missing. I checked and both have the same map segment active. The handheld is set to show detail most. I downloaded US OSM northeast Topo to both locations and I have made no recent changes to the installation of either.

Edited by ras_oscar

I have a total of 6 mapsets on my handheld. In the map setup screen they are all de selected except one. (The other maps are for adjoining regions in the US) Zoom levels are set to auto. Detail level is set to most  I went into OSM and verified the paths are in fact on the maps and that they're tagged as "paths"   If anyone has US northeast OSM topo installed on their Garmin, PM me and I'll give you the coordinates.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:11 PM, kunarion said:

On my 700, I'm seeing trails only on particular zoom settings.  Often only when not zoomed all the way in, where I wanted to see trails.

If you zoom in and out, do trails appear at some setting?

I have  cache i know to be next to a trail, because I already logged it. I zoomed all the way in, (20 feet) until the GPS beeped, centered that cache on the screen and then zoomed out in stages, counting to 10 at each stage to allow time for a redraw. Went out to 1.2 mile zoom level ( at which point the trails would be too small to be useful) No trails to be seen.

The truly puzzling thing is, if I zoom to another area of the same map, to a way also tagged as path, it shows up correctly in both locations.

Edited by ras_oscar
On 10/13/2020 at 12:13 PM, ras_oscar said:

I have a total of 6 mapsets on my handheld. In the map setup screen they are all de selected except one. (The other maps are for adjoining regions in the US) Zoom levels are set to auto. Detail level is set to most  I went into OSM and verified the paths are in fact on the maps and that they're tagged as "paths"   If anyone has US northeast OSM topo installed on their Garmin, PM me and I'll give you the coordinates.

Which source for OSM Topo NorthEast? Many map makers use OSM as the basis for their maps.

Can you provide a link to the NorthEast Topo OSM map you are using, and provide a list of all six map loaded on your device?

Please also send me a waypoint for the area you are viewing...

Edited by Atlas Cached

I downloaded my maps by region from here:

http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable

The area I am having challenges with is the area surrounding this cache: GC8ZQ2E

I downloaded the maps in 2019 to the Oregon 700 GPSr, basecamp, and mapsource

I have presently installed:

US Midwest OSM Topo

US Mountain OSM Topo

US Northeast OSM Topo

US Pacific OSM Topo

US South Atlantic OSM Topo

US South  Central OSM Topo

they are all installed on the external memory card

When I first noticed this problem, I had Northeast and South Atlantic active. Since then I have turned off northeast and have only South Atlantic active.

I also scrolled around to another way tagged in the same map tagged as PATH that is near cache GC6YEXY. That path displays correctly on my GPSr.

The package download dates and version numbers are as follows:

Midwest 2/10/2020

Mountain 2/10/2020

Northeast 2/10/2020

Pacific 2/10/2020

South Atlantic 2/10/2020

South Central 2/10/2020 

they all say V31.7Z at the end of the data file  but I believe that's the version of the compression file (7zip)

Edited by ras_oscar

Excellent!

They currently have v32 available (all were recompiled in August 2020), and v31 had several known issues, including a 'random' loss of map data,.

Can you download the Northeast v32 and retest? You do not have to delete v31, you can just change the file extension from *.img to *.old for example, and the Garmin will ignore it.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Downloaded the new South Atlantic tiles. Installed to basecamp and then to the GPSr. Problem solved. I'm downloading and installing the newer version of the remaining maps now. Thanks for your help.

It's a bit curious that the trails showed up in basecamp but not in the GPSr. Any information on why this error occurred?

Edited by ras_oscar