Geocaching app losing my location

I've been having intermittent problems over the last few months with the Geocaching app losing my position.  When I ask the app to go to my position, it still thinks I'm where I was on the previous cache (or the general area) but without a blue dot on the map.  If I close and restart the app it frequently doesn't know where I am at all and displays the spinning busy indicator and "please wait" type of message, although after several minutes it sometimes does eventually determine my location.  Usually, though,  I need to restart my phone which temporarily resolves the problem.

This usually happens when I'm at a cache location, find and log it, then select the next location.  I'm usually using Google Maps for navigation between caches when this happens, but I can't say that I used Maps *every* time.

I don't think it's the location services or data connection on my phone, or my location -- it happens under a clear sky, no obstacles, in urban, suburban, and rural areas with very good cell coverage.  Google Maps knows exactly where I am, and there's no trouble pulling information for the caches.  It's like the app completely loses track of me and just uses what it remembers as my last location, and restarting the app wipes out that information as well.

I haven't tried briefly switching to airplane mode or turning off location services then switching back to see if that helps.

My phone is an LG G6, Android 9, carrier is Verizon.  Geocaching app version is 8.32.0

Suggestions?