Will there be a 2020 GIFF?

Luckless

November 17 they will release a Best of GIFF film reel!

From the blog:

HQ Happenings

What’s new?
  • Did you miss the Geocaching International Film Festival this year? In 2020 we have been taking a look back at the past 20 years of geocaching and it wouldn’t make sense to leave GIFF out. On November 17, we will release a “Best of: GIFF” film reel to the public with submissions from every year since 2013. 
Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

November 17 they will release a Best of GIFF film reel!

From the blog:

HQ Happenings

What’s new?
  • Did you miss the Geocaching International Film Festival this year? In 2020 we have been taking a look back at the past 20 years of geocaching and it wouldn’t make sense to leave GIFF out. On November 17, we will release a “Best of: GIFF” film reel to the public with submissions from every year since 2013. 

Interesting.  I actually asked their GIFF lead if I could do this on my own for a celebration event and they said it was okay.  It'll be interesting to see what they choose, though I'm sure neither of my film entries will be featured.  To me, making it twice into the event is a great personal accomplishment.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Interesting.  I actually asked their GIFF lead if I could do this on my own for a celebration event and they said it was okay.

Same here. My friend and me have been organising GIFF events for 5 years now, and would love to do that again. But Corona is making this totally impossible at the moment.

The last couple of GIFF events we organised, we had around 100 people attending. Many of the visitors have become "regulars" for this particular event. Due to no GIFF event this year (apart from Corona which would have spoiled the fun anyway), I'm not sure if we will lose many of those if GIFF would continue to be organised in the coming years.

I've had questions this year from former visitors about GIFF being organised or not. Our plan was to do exactly this: show the TOP 3 of the last 5 years at an event and call that our GIFF 5-and-a-half event. Glad to see that HQ is picking up the (almost) same idea though, even if we can't organise an event around it ourselves now.

Edited by NLBokkie
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, NLBokkie said:

Same here. My friend and me have been organising GIFF events for 5 years now, and would love to do that again. But Corona is making this totally impossible at the moment.

The last couple of GIFF events we organised, we had around 100 people attending. Many of the visitors have become "regulars" for this particular event. Due to no GIFF event this year (apart from Corona which would have spoiled the fun anyway), I'm not sure if we will lose many of those if GIFF would continue to be organised in the coming years.

I've had questions this year from former visitors about GIFF being organised or not. Our plan was to do exactly this: show the TOP 3 of the last 5 years at an event and call that our GIFF 5-and-a-half event. Glad to see that HQ is picking up the (almost) same idea though, even if we can't organise an event around it ourselves now.

Great minds think alike! :)  Around my area this year, the outdoor movie theater has become popular again.  Usually when I host a GIFF event, I host it in a movie theater, but this year that would have been impossible.  So I inquired about hosting this "best of" idea at a drive in movie theater, but they wanted $2500 US for the rental.  Umm... no way!  The indoor theater charges me a lot less, and the donations I request (not mandatory) usually cover the cost.  So, I decided not to do that.   I'll wait until a proper GIFF event where we can have it safely indoors again.

• Upvote 1

Seven years of film fun: a GIFF retrospective

In 2013, an intrepid group of Lackeys banded together to create an Event so spectacular, it would send shockwaves across the international geocaching community: the Geocaching International Film Festival. What first started as an event in Seattle quickly grew to an international phenomenon, with hundreds of annual events in 71 countries.

The first GIFF took place in 2013 after the Block Party held outside Geocaching HQ. It was a beautiful August day, and hundreds of geocachers gathered beneath a giant inflatable screen to enjoy the creations of the community. We saw films that made us laugh, cry, and get inspired. 

Our GIFF journeys brought us through space, on FTF hunts, and to beautiful places around the globe. Geocachers showcased their creativity through various media, such as stop-motion, claymation, and animation. We saw genres like western, action, silent film, and more.

Thanks to Event hosts around the world, the creativity of GIFF entrants gets featured prominently as numerous events are held in movie theaters. In 2018, the first GIFF Mega-Event was held in Cologne, Germany at a drive-in movie theater. Over the years, almost 3,000 events have been held across 71 countries.

As we announced last year, GIFF is taking a brief ‘intermission’ until the credits roll on 2020. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t look back at seven exciting years of GIFF this year. Look out for the Best of: GIFF reel coming out on November 17!

38 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Are you in the teaser video? 

No.  I don't expect either of them to be, but then again I don't know if they showed all the ones in the reel.  I'm hoping two of my favorites made it, Winter caching in Finland and The FTF-Hunter, so we shall see.

The fact that I had two films in the reels over the years is reward enough for me.  My 2017 film submission "A Travel Bug's Life" was the first short film I ever made in my life.

2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I figured you'd post this as soon as it was released.

My film made it!  I didn't expect that though I'm appreciative of the fact.  "The Geocaching Express 6000 GPS Receiver" from 2019.  Fun story: I actually embedded puzzle coordinates into the video when I made it, having "reserved" a puzzle spot months before I even submitted my entry.  I was hoping that my film would be accepted, as I thought it would be fun to sneak a puzzle cache puzzle into the GIFF.  GC8BA53 is the cache.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1