App not working on iPhone

bellhill

I have:

Version: 8.33.0 (1)

iOS 13.7

iPhone 8

I haven't loaded or updated anything in particular recently.  The App isn't crashing, it seems to work.  But it's behaving a little strange today, with new weirdness in the display.  Maybe this is how it's designed now.

Screens load with a slight "flickering" as if it's running slowly.  It seems to need to "load" some large grey squares around the edges of the screen at times.  It's doing that flickering load of new map tiles that I used to see a couple years ago.  Another odd thing is the compass is moving in tiny increments rather than turning smoothly.  I thought at first the map was doing the same thing, but when I opened it again, it's fine.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see it start crashing.  It has that vibe all of a sudden.

This is on my home wifi.  I haven't tried it on phone data today.

• Helpful 1

I have an iPhone 7. iOS is 14.0.1. Not sure where to see geocaching app version, but updates have been done regularly. I was using it yesterday morning and it all of a sudden wouldn’t open. As I said, I get green screen for a second or so and then it goes to my phone screen.

50 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

50 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

It might help if the OP does that.  I uninstalled/reinstalled mine just now, and now no more screen blinking, and I have to scroll the map pretty fast to get grey map tiles that need to load.  Mine wasn't crashing yet, but it had the general impression that it was having trouble.

When reinstalling, a consideration is that all caches that were downloaded for offline use will need to be downloaded again.  The Lists will be in view, ready to download.  I lost the PQ that I had simply "refreshed", so it looks like a PQ may need to be run again if it hasn't run in a while.  Then it reappears in the App.  No big deal.

Pretty serious bugs still exist, but they're discussed in other threads.

1 hour ago, bellhill said:

I have an iPhone 7. iOS is 14.0.1. Not sure where to see geocaching app version, but updates have been done regularly. I was using it yesterday morning and it all of a sudden wouldn’t open. As I said, I get green screen for a second or so and then it goes to my phone screen.

Just checked on iPhone iOS 14.0.1 and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I have the same problem of the app not running. It crashed yesterday and it will not open. The splash screen appears for about 1/2 second and then closes. I have an iPhone X running ios 14.0.1, and the latest version of the app. I closed all apps, reset my phone and still no help. I am thinking of deleting the app and reinstalling it. If I do that will I lose any data such as user added waypoints?

Edited by Room1009
57 minutes ago, Room1009 said:

I have the same problem of the app not running. It crashed yesterday and it will not open. The splash screen appears for about 1/2 second and then closes. I have an iPhone X running ios 14.0.1, and the latest version of the app. I closed all apps, reset my phone and still no help. I am thinking of deleting the app and reinstalling it. If I do that will I lose any data such as user added waypoints?

I did not lose custom waypoints by re-installing.

I had the same thing happen this past weekend.  For me, it was reproduce-able.
I accessed a trackable that was in a cache and went to write a note on the trackable page that it was no longer in the cache.
When I did that, the app crashed and subsequent launches and phone restarts did not fix it.
I had to delete the app and re-install it.  
Once again, I tried making a comment on the trackable and the app crashed on me.  Had to re-install a second time.

Edited by HoochDog
more information
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, HoochDog said:

I did not lose custom waypoints by re-installing.

I had the same thing happen this past weekend.  For me, it was reproduce-able.
I accessed a trackable that was in a cache and went to write a note on the trackable page that it was no longer in the cache.
When I did that, the app crashed and subsequent launches and phone restarts did not fix it.
I had to delete the app and re-install it.  
Once again, I tried making a comment on the trackable and the app crashed on me.  Had to re-install a second time.

That's exactly what happened to me. I was trying to log a "write note" on a trackable that was missing from a cache. OK, I deleted and reinstalled the app and it is working so far. My user added waypoints seem to all be there. I won't be logging any trackables from my phone until the app gets updated. Hopefully Groundspeak is monitoring this thread and has a fix in the works.