Release Notes (Website: Upcoming retirement of old profile page)

I just tried the new profile page (again) and I still don't like it. For most of the useful links I now have to scroll down.And those links that are visble are not the most important (Memory Lane and Wonders of the World are really not the number 1 links..).

Would it be that difficult to change the old profile page a bit and let it alive?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On a pc monitor there is a lot of wasted space to both sides of many pages because it is sized for a phone and does not adjust to the size of a computer monitor. 

For example the souvenir list only goes 3 wide but is extremely long  rather than going 6 or 7 wide based on the amount of space on the screen that it is being shown on. We have about 225 souvenirs.  With them spaced out and  3 columns and so much space between rows it makes the page very long.  This is true of a lot of pages not just the souvenir page.  I was just using the souvenir page as an example

geocaching profile [age.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Are the vast majority of cachers really viewing the website on their phone?

I'm probably NOT the "vast majority", but I came in to geocachingin 2017, and have used the app (Official geocaching app) for most of that time to FIND caches.  I use the website to log and do most other geocaching tasks, and I use the website on my computer.  I don't like using the website on my phone, it's too hard to see.  I'll use the app when we are away from home for the things it does well, and save all the rest of the tasks the website and computer.  I don't NEED the website to work on my phone!

Having said all that, the "new" profile and Dashboard was all introduced before I'd really used the old one for very long, so I switched over and have been happily using the new one and learning where everything is that I need.  Yeah, I have to scroll to do some things, but that's just how I've learned to use the site, so it doesn't seem a chore.  But then again, I didn't use the old one for years as some of you have.  Change is hard, especially when functionality is "misplaced" (harder to get to) for the sake of looking "nicer", and that in itself is a matter of opinion!

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1

I don't have a cover photo on my profile and don't really care about the difference between old and new profile page. But asking people to upload a photos in a specifc aspect ratio and then cropping them without prior warning was honestly not great.

Timing aside, I understand how this change fits in your stated goal of "be more proactive about addressing the reasons that are blocking the retirement of duplicate pages". But consider that this particular change affects people who didn't even know about the old profile page. Revealing it under the title "Upcoming retirement of old profile page" may not reach the target audience.

Regarding the ongoing commentary about the layout, I think brendan714 and terratin made some nice suggestions to the new profile (though perhaps a bit extreme). Ardila.nl's comments about how the cover image is used differently in dashboard vs the profile are also on point.

I would perhaps add to the souvenir page comment that souvenirs are viewed in 4 columns when accessed through the dashboard. The souvenir view on the profile page does look a bit silly in comparison. And I would argue that having two different souvenir views is a kind of duplicate page in its own right. Ditto for statistics.

The general discussion about the dashboard in general is perhaps premature for this thread, but honestly the new one is miles better than the old for non-expert users.  I don't see how this can even be an argument, the old one is a mess in comparison.

The new dashboard has its issues, and if effort is going to be made I'd start with the left column menu. E.g. does the organization help users find the functionality they need? The terminology is confusing, e.g. why are "Lists" and "Your lists" different, especially now that Favorites is listed under "Lists" but actually links to a tab on the "Your lists" page.... The terminology issues continue with "Dashboard" vs "Cache owner dashboard". I would really encourage you to get fresh eyes to look at the whole thing if you really want to sort out the overlapping functionality and discoverability issues.

Edited by mustakorppi
  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
19 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

On a pc monitor there is a lot of wasted space to both sides of many pages because it is sized for a phone and does not adjust to the size of a computer monitor. 

For example the souvenir list only goes 3 wide but is extremely long  rather than going 6 or 7 wide based on the amount of space on the screen that it is being shown on. We have about 225 souvenirs.  With them spaced out and  3 columns and so much space between rows it makes the page very long.  This is true of a lot of pages not just the souvenir page.  I was just using the souvenir page as an example

geocaching profile [age.jpg

I had to check that because I've always had four souvenirs per row with the new profile. Now it's three :sad:

I suppose that change was made the same time the profile image was squished.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, Corfman Clan said:

I had to check that because I've always had four souvenirs per row with the new profile. Now it's three :sad:

I suppose that change was made the same time the profile image was squished.

Yeah ... seems just the right width for easily viewing on a phone...

• Surprised 1

WhitespaceWhitespaceWhitespaceWhitespace!

Also, responsive web design would be super duper to implement here. The web page can sense browser dimensions and adjust for a best display - it doesn't have to dynamically expand or shrink with the browser - there could be anywhere from 2-4 adjusted layouts that automatically apply depending on the browser size. This is much more common today, and avoids the tall-tower web page layout on desktop. In that portrait style layout there are two end-user results:

1. On a phone, looks great, sized for the phone width. On a desktop, it doesn't scale and you get the tall skinny tower with extreme wasted space either side.

2. On a phone, looks great, sized for the phone width. On a desktop, it scales for the browser/window width and everything is freaking huge!

Neither of those options is necessary today.

CSS can sense the current width and apply sets of stylesheets dynamically to optimize the scaling and layout of web elements for whatever type of experience you want to provide per aspect ration ranges.

I did the work of applying that mechanic to my workplaces website. geocaching.com is much bigger, but man, could it ever use some dynamic content design. "Whitespace" is probably the most consistently criticized aspect of any new rollout on the main site.  For a website where functionality is generally more important than pretty appearance, I think there needs to be a shift in priority for the web design department on quite a few pages of geocaching.com =/  I say this because I love geocaching.com, not to be gratuitously critical. heh

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2

Has anyone ever reacted to the whining of some cachers, for example by refraining from planned changes? Hmm ... :unsure: I don't remember anything like that. :(

The old profile page will be closed, unfortunately no whining will help. The same will likely happen to the old log form and the old dashboard shortly. The new pages were not developed for fun, but primarily presumably for an integrated usability of all platforms.

Whether or not some cachers approve of such changes has unfortunately never been of great relevance. :(

Lean back, put your feet up and let it come towards you. You won't be able to change it anyway.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/6/2020 at 10:47 PM, GO Geiger said:

You can use the GClh II. For wide screens it could look like this ...grafik.thumb.png.a33a0ead480d2a45c5318622c487c8f8.png

• Love 1

Since it was brought up...  Expect some feedback after you force us to use the new logging page - even if you don't reduce the height to 200px at the same time. 

The preview panel in the old version is useful.  I'll never memorize the rules for asterisks around punctuation (for italics), *(like this)!* ... Or does it only work (*like this!*)  It's a pain to loop around until you get it right.

Please bring forward that preview panel to the new logging code. And increase the height if you're going to mess with it at all. Thanks. 

Web is for big screens. Apps are for phones. 

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Web is for big screens.

The web should be for whatever size screen (or window) the user has. The problem is forcing everyone to view the site as though they have a tiny phone screen, rather than using whatever screen (or window) they really have.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

Lean back, put your feet up and let it come towards you. You won't be able to change it anyway.

Yes, there's nothing we can do stop it. However, I like to think that feedback is truly appreciated, so those of us who see issues want to point them out.

Browser add-ons are fine as a fall-back if HQ never changes something, but the primary course of action should be to get the website itself fixed or improved so add-ons aren't required.

• Upvote 5

feedback
it annoys me totally that the entire selection list is on the left. like most people, i am right-handed. so i have to drive over the view every time, blocking my view of it, then have to look to the left and only then go back with my hand so that you can even see anything! This hampers me so much that I haven't used the new site yet. it upsets me very much! I get sick with it! I beg your pardon for my bungling english. this is also a point that is incredibly annoying. the germans are a very big customer of Groundspeak, but they don't consider it necessary to publish everything uniformly in german. Here, for example, I have to translate everything first!

22 minutes ago, Die3 said:

feedback
it annoys me totally that the entire selection list is on the left. like most people, i am right-handed. so i have to drive over the view every time, blocking my view of it, then have to look to the left and only then go back with my hand so that you can even see anything! This hampers me so much that I haven't used the new site yet. it upsets me very much! I get sick with it! I beg your pardon for my bungling english. this is also a point that is incredibly annoying. the germans are a very big customer of Groundspeak, but they don't consider it necessary to publish everything uniformly in german. Here, for example, I have to translate everything first!

Sorry, but where on the Profile page (which is what this thread is about) is the selection list on the left? On mine, the selections are across the page like this:

image.png.51890961b1115192833df1cc340cbe74.png

I dislike the new pages!

They show a bad structure (tabs not on top of page) of informations given, and some strange navigation jumps. Even the densitiy of information displayed has been reduced. I do not want to repeat all the other complaints in this thread, but:

You should better listen to the "vast majority" of contributors and not switch off the old pages!

Changes made to existing pages always should show improvements and new benefits - nearly all of the contributors cannot find them! In this case the changes should be cancelled. Be aware, if you neglect the wishes of the community with your unloved "New Pages", you may contribute to a diminishing fascination of our great hobby!

And remember: Web is for big screens. Apps are for phones.  (Viajero Perdido)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2020 at 8:02 AM, barefootjeff said:

Sorry, but where on the Profile page (which is what this thread is about) is the selection list on the left? On mine, the selections are across the page like this:

image.png.51890961b1115192833df1cc340cbe74.png

I think @Die3 was thinking of the dahsboard, which indeed has a fantastic navigation for left-handed people. This is something to applaud, but it leave about 90% of all cachers with a rubbish navigation.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
39 minutes ago, terratin said:

I think @Die3 was thinking of the dahsboard, which indeed has a fantastic navigation for left-handed people. This is something to applaud, but it leave about 90% of all cachers with a rubbish navigation.

I don't think that 90% of all cachers are using a touchscreen as Die3 seems to use. Most of us read text from left to right. It makes sense to put the menu on the left.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Tried it again, and equally unimpressed.

Again, per my post a ways back --

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THE MOBILE USERS HAPPY, THEN JUST SET UP SEPARATE MOBILE PAGES.  IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

Other IT departments long ago recognized that a one-size-fits-all approach winds up being a one-size-fits-none approach.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

I have not seen the questionnaire either.  But then, I am using a laptop, not a phone.

I agree there is more information on the old page than the new.  The old is also easier to navigate.

There is a lot of unused space on the new page.

I just really hope you are not moving toward  an app. that I have to download to be able to access my account on Geocaching.com.

I do not have a smart phone and only use my GPSr to hunt caches.  Looks like I am being left behind.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Aside from the cache listings themselves, I find myself hardly using the geocaching.com website itself at all. As things are getting dumbed down more and more, it's a good thing that other websites step in. Overall, not sure if this is a good thing though.

• Upvote 1

1) It would be so much better if the profile experience was more customizable.  Some sort of a "choose your layout" option.

2) Also, seeing my favorite points on the profile is nice, but it is also depressing because we have a large number of high D/T caches that are hardly touched due to the complexity of a find but have an 85% or higher premium fave point percentage.  Please consider including the owner's favorites percentage along with their favorites count.  Some have high favorite counts on their profiles primarily because their caches are in highly travelled areas, though the caches themselves may not have more than a 20% percentage of fave points.  Thanks.

• Surprised 1

I got the feedback questionnaire yesterday & saw this topic today. Have only ever used the old profile page (dashboard) so had a look at the new & given the imminent demise of the old, will change to the new. There are a few things I don't particularly like though -  the position of the links on the left hand side, Advanced search has disappeared, no nearby Waymarks, Your Lists & Lists are duplicated. 

I was just logging some earth caches and went to send off answers to various COs.  I noticed that with the new profile, if a user has made their email address public, if you click on the Send Email link it tries to open an email program to send the message rather than using the geocaching.com send email page.  If I use the old profile page, even with the email address public, the Send Email link uses the geocaching.com send email page as expected.  If a user has not made their email address public, both the new and old profile Send Email link uses the geocaching.com send email page as expected.  Therefore the new profile page with a public email address seems to cause an incorrect response with the Send Email link.  I am using Google Chrome. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, terratin said:

I know this might be OCD territory, but something bugged me big time with this profile page: it looks messy. So I drew a few lines. Basically nothing lines up apart from exactly two things. This is in Firefox, latest version, Windows 10 on a 14" notebook. Honestly, all the elements of that profile have been randomly thrown on there. If this is supposed to be the future then it needs a lot more work, because this is not ready.

The differences in font sizes is slightly odd as well.

The bottom section, other than the nav, still feels like it's using the same code as the old profile. I has the same look and feel to me. Which is a little odd if the aim is to change the log and feel.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, seffnjarah said:

I was just logging some earth caches and went to send off answers to various COs.  I noticed that with the new profile, if a user has made their email address public, if you click on the Send Email link it tries to open an email program to send the message rather than using the geocaching.com send email page.  If I use the old profile page, even with the email address public, the Send Email link uses the geocaching.com send email page as expected.  If a user has not made their email address public, both the new and old profile Send Email link uses the geocaching.com send email page as expected.  Therefore the new profile page with a public email address seems to cause an incorrect response with the Send Email link.  I am using Google Chrome. 

It doesn't do that for me - using Safari. Even with the mail app open.

No, you're right, I do have the same problem - you just can't tell if someone's made their e-mail address public with the new profile so you don't know what behaviour you're going to get until you click the link.

Given that the internal system allows me not to reveal my e-mail address and places GC related text in the subject header (which I use for filtering), this would seem to be worth fixing.

Edited by Blue Square Thing
I was wrong

I do not like the new 'Profile' page, it has far too much 'white space', which is a complete waste.  It takes much longer to actually get to what one wishes to use.

Stop changing the site to match the phone app - which is not very good anyway.  The maps are poor and it isn't easy to find anything.  Base the app on the main site, which is what true cachers are actually using.

Changing things unnecessarily more often makes things worse, as it has in this case!  There is nothing wrong with the 'old' Profile page.

• Upvote 7
  • Helpful 2

I like the new profile page, it looks much prettier. But, let's face it: I don't look at profile page often. It's nice to have it, but at the end I don't really care. For our daily "work" only the geocache main page, the map and the logging page are important. Sometimes I log hundreds of caches without looking at any profile page.

However, apart from the main profile page (/p/default.aspx) I prefer the old design for most of the other double pages.

Log geocache

• new design has less log types
  • new design requires to open Trackables list manually
  • formatting of the log might still be possible, but there is no help in the editor

The only disadvantage of the old layout is, that "Type of Log" is not preselected.

Play, View map

No idea why "Search geocaches" map is the new default. Clicking on "Browse geocaches" in the top right is my first action always!

That "Search geocaches" seems to be fully useless. Open it, then move the map to another area I like to browse. Next you have to click "Search this area" to load the geocaches. Move again, and repeat. This is very annoying!

Whenever I open the map I like to browse for geocaches. Clicking "View Larger Map" in the geocache description means, that I like to browse for other caches in that area, not seeing that single cache I already know.

The old map is doing this perfect. I can deselect my finds (and my hides). This gives a pretty good overview. Try doing this with the new "Search geocaches" map.

It would be great, if I could select my preferred map in my personal settings to save that one extra click after opening the map!

• Upvote 3
59 minutes ago, Flachmann said:

Log geocache

• new design has less log types
  • new design requires to open Trackables list manually
  • formatting of the log might still be possible, but there is no help in the editor

The only disadvantage of the old layout is, that "Type of Log" is not preselected.

I consider that a significant and important advantage fwiw.

I think I know why it's not - fingers on touchscreens and smallish buttons perhaps - but it's really not a disadvantage if it helps people write the correct type of log.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Flachmann said:

The preselected log types are causing no end of mayhem with people logging finds when it's clear it should have been a DNF or owners logging OMs when it should have been something else. Default log types are only good if the default is actually the right type of log, but unless you only ever log finds or OMs, those times when it isn't lead to frequent errors all for the sake of saving one mouse click.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Flachmann said:

I consider that a good thing! I myself have accidentally logged a found it on a cache I didn't mean to. These accidental logs are not uncommon at all when the type of log is pre-selected. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
On 10/8/2020 at 2:21 AM, 2Abendsegler said:

You can use the GClh II. For wide screens it could look like this ...grafik.thumb.png.a33a0ead480d2a45c5318622c487c8f8.png

This looked fantastic, so signed up BUT on initial viewing of the site it's not quite what I expected! Was hoping to download an extension and have decent organisation of geocaching.com pages (souvenirs in particular). EDIT: Found the extension and installed it ... looking good and checking it out. Thanks.

Edited by PlasmaWave
Corrected information ...
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, PulmonaryHip said:

I also hate the messaging window.  I type in paragraphs, so every time I hit enter, it sends the message.  I'm not likely to break that habit, so I rarely use the message window.  Can't you put a send button instead of assuming enter means to send?

Um, it's right there down the bottom of the messaging page with a checkbox to set whether or not pressing Enter will send the message:

image.png.fe084698882af97255ad95300fd1b486.png

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
On 10/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, PulmonaryHip said:

I don't see how I email from the new profile page.  I click on email and half the time it asks what program I want to use.  I never had to do that before.  Why doesn't it just go into the email window I've always used?

I just ran into this for the first time. When I click the "Send e-mail" button on a particular member's profile page (who has made their email address public), it only acts like a "mailto:" link rather than navigate to the usual messaging form. Hopefully this can be sorted out by Monday when the old page goes away.

One other thing I just noticed is the title for the page. The title is always "Geocaching > Groundspeak - User Profile", with no indication of whose profile it is. I think it would be more useful to include the member's name in the title. If you have multiple profile pages open in tabs, currently there's no way to tell them apart.

• Upvote 2

Old Profile Retirement Update 

With today’s release, the old profile page is retired. As of today, all players are moved to the new profile look.

As we shared in October, this step is critical to streamlining the website experience, and will help improve our ability to make future improvements to the profile page. Since the announcement of the retirement of the old page, less than 5% of active players have opted to go back to the old profile page. 

In addition, we would like to extend a special thank you to players who have noted privacy concerns with the profile page email flow. In addition to retiring the old profile, we have also streamlined the email feature to use the secure Geocaching.com email flow exclusively, which will prevent private email addresses from being shared unintentionally. If you would like to share your email address with other players it can be added to the “About” section of your profile. 

We would also like to thank everyone who shared feedback on this retirement and the future of the profile page. We have a great list of potential features for consideration! As an example, we have received a lot of feedback that the “edit” option is not as easy to find on the new profile page as it was on the old one. We are working now on an update to make this option easier to find. Until then, here’s a screenshot to help locate the edit option on the new profile.

2TwgLCU-TJNg07_5zMnrqLFhDpNAzPhQeLsd4TYFGBMCCv5jLdvQNVXBfWUnFB2BNp4_zPhPYlAi1fz5qddL_IVgBWTTGshjI4bIDjTNUSh7pkhnznVPsUir0rjZ0_vyZium8gfg

Thank you again for your continued support. We welcome your continued feedback, and will ensure all ideas are considered and evaluated for future updates to the profile page.

Edited by Whitecar
  • Helpful 1

Since the announcement of the retirement of the old page, less than 5% of active players have opted to go back to the old profile page. 

It would have been more interesting the other way round: leave the old profile page active and look how many opt in to the new page. I guess this also would be something around .. 5%?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

So we have a new profile page.

But why is there so much white everywhere?

I think it would be a lot nicer to have everything in tables,

then I would not have to scroll so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Whitecar said:

With today’s release, the old profile page is retired. As of today, all players are moved to the new profile look.

Yuck. What a mess.

The profile photo is used in the forums, so it needs to be something that looks reasonable when resized to 90x90. And some sort of icon works better than a photo in that context. But it's also used as the main photo on my profile page, and the forum icon looks odd resized to 225x225. My guess is that more people see my profile photo attached to my forum posts than attached to my profile, so I'll go with the one that works for the forums. A real profile photo is included inline in my profile information (via HTML).

And then there's the cover photo, which is displayed with an aspect ratio of almost 4:1 on my profile page, with the profile photo blocking whatever might be in the left third. But on my dashboard, the cover photo is displayed with an aspect ratio of 2:1, with the profile photo blocking whatever might be in the bottom center. And the cropping is automatic, so I have no control over which 4:1 slice is used on the profile page, or which 2:1 piece is used on the dashboard. I'm the only person who sees my dashboard, so I'll pick something that works for my profile. But I need to mirror it so the interesting detail is on the right, not the left.

Yuck. What a mess.

• Upvote 5

Windows Pro Firefox 81.0.2

CRITICAL BUG

In the box on the right side of the profile, I see only View Forum Posts. Not Friend, Message or, critically E-MAIL. 

Many of the illustrations in this thread likewise show only View Forum Posts in that pane.

Image below of the right side profile pane as it should be, and as it is now.

Restore e-mail, please. ASAP, thanks

NEW PROFILE MISSING.jpg

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Well, that was fast.  i now see the complete pane, with all four options. 

A hiccup I guess, or maybe I need to thank someone.

I guess not a hickup but you probably looked at our own profile. There everybody only sees "View Forum Posts"

...and since I'm already here: The new look is (as with most new looks on GC) not an improvement for me. Mainly because of the white space.

• Upvote 2
On 11/30/2020 at 10:53 PM, Twentse Mug said:

So we have a new profile page.

But why is there so much white everywhere?

I think it would be a lot nicer to have everything in tables,

then I would not have to scroll so much.

That is unfortunately correct :mad:.
The new site is so ugly and confusing.

Please give us back the old profile page!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1