Search Distance

Jayeffel

On the initial screen for Geocaching.com  showing Events, and New Caches etc there is a Filter option, apparently the default is 10 miles and cannot be altered. When going to the Search function and "Change Filters" the distance can be changed. Is it possible to change the distance on the original screen?

Maybe it would show too much!

What made me wonder is under New Caches there are maybe 21 new caches in one geographical store, placed by one geocacher. When I go to New Cache s it showed 18 of them, 3  were beyond the  limit. When I go to to search by location and enter the local town, they do show. I was there yesterday and found 14 , decided to leave the other 4 for another day. I did not know of the other three new ones at all, and they would all have been with a mile of where I was at the time. Just wondering if there is a way to change the distance on the initial screen filter.

Hmmm, I rarely use the Search function on that initial page - when I do it is normally to search for a specific cache, and I never really paid attention to the "distance".  If I'm headed to a new town/location, I'll use the browse map to see what caches are in the general area I am headed.  You said they do show up if you enter the town name - perhaps the geographic center used is different enough from the location of the single cache entered that you get a different set of caches "within 10 miles".  I didn't realize you couldn't change that on the initial page.  No matter what it is set to, there will always be caches that are just beyond the limit set. The initial page is intended (I think) as just a quick, simple search - and there are tools on the search and browse maps for a wider search if you need it.

Do you use a phone to look for caches in the field?  They should show up nearby when you are in the area.  If you are pre-loading a GPS with caches in an area, then there is always the possibility that there are more caches just outside the range of the area you have pre-loaded.  Newly published caches won't show up on the GPS either.

I run a PQ twice a week that I call "Unfound" - and load that to my GPS just before we go out on a cache/errand run, so it has a current list of those caches newly published and takes out those caches I have already found.  Hubby uses his phone, so he will see any brand new ones that have been published after I ran the latest PQ.  Between the phone and the GPS, we can cover most of the unfound caches in an area.  If our errands happened to take us to the edge of my 25 mile radius, then I'm likely to miss a few on my GPS, but the phone would show them up.