Bug report-lab cache added to stats for previous day

Sapphirites

We found through the app,  one stage of an Adventure Lab in Oxford, UK today 29th September at 08:30 this morning.

We then discovered  that on the stats  Finds for Each Day of the Year, it had been added to the 28th September.

we presume this to be something's to do with Timezones.

we logged another at 21:00 today and that did get added to the stats for the 29th.

• Funny 1
35 minutes ago, Sapphirites said:

We found through the app,  one stage of an Adventure Lab in Oxford, UK today 29th September at 08:30 this morning.

We then discovered  that on the stats  Finds for Each Day of the Year, it had been added to the 28th September.

we presume this to be something's to do with Timezones.

we logged another at 21:00 today and that did get added to the stats for the 29th.

A known issue. It's mentioned in the forum discussions here. 

• Helpful 1

Is there any chance GS will correct this error?

It is, after all, a global game so different time zones shouldn't surprice anyone!

Now I've deleted all logs in a adventure cache and I cant even replay it due to another error in GS's system!

Edited by svea.dk
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
1 hour ago, svea.dk said:

Is there any chance GS will correct this error?

It is, after all, a global game so different time zones shouldn't surprice anyone!

Now I've deleted all logs in a adventure cache and I cant even replay it due to another error in GS's system!

Timezones are not welcome for the geocaching system. Same goes for the official app, which is logging with UTC-6 or 7, only because thats where the headquarter is. Thats one of many reasons why I will never use the official app. Sadly, for the labs, HQ was so clever that they forced us to do that, so you only have to remember to take a large powerbank with you, because of the energy consumption of the app. :signalviolin:

Fancy that... a discussion about an issue that has just raised its ugly head for me.

I found 2 lab caches about 3 hours apart... deliberately - one before 17:00 MDT (in my area of the world divides the dates found), the other after so that the first would be recorded the day I found it, and the other on the next. When I check my 'finds by date' calendar both show up on actual date found.

However, when I check my public profile, and examine the Lab cache finds list, they are shown as 'found' as intended - the first on the day found, and the second on the next day.

And, when I check my 'finds by date' calendar on Project GC, the calendar shows the caches as 'found' as intended, and on my lab cache tab, the dates are also correct.

Why does GS record these in 2 different ways?

Do they even realize they are recorded differently?

Why bother with UTC anyway? It has nothing to do with the recording of other caches.

Any chance this might be fixed in the near future?

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, igator210 said:

Its one of my wishes that Labs caches could have their dates edited. Each stage has a Complete date, so why can't the Completed date be editable? Its just a database entry. You can edit the date on all other caches. 

For other cache types, you can log the wrong date (when catching up on your logging) and then correct it.  For an AL, the date *should* always be correct.  Why would you need to change it?

1 hour ago, igator210 said:

so why can't the Completed date be editable?

I don't see any reasonable answer why this should be a feature. Labs are not regular caches which you find by signing a logbook, but an online answer sent, so there is no need for date change. Or am I not seeing something?

1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

For other cache types, you can log the wrong date (when catching up on your logging) and then correct it.  For an AL, the date *should* always be correct.  Why would you need to change it?

15 minutes ago, sernikk said:

I don't see any reasonable answer why this should be a feature. Labs are not regular caches which you find by signing a logbook, but an online answer sent, so there is no need for date change. Or am I not seeing something?

There stills to appear to be a time stamp bug in regards to Local Time vs Coordinated Universal Time. I have at least one Lab that the Complete date is recorded on the wrong date. 

I logged a Lab at 6pm Pacific Time , but the date was time shifted to the next day because that is 2am UTC. 

1 hour ago, igator210 said:

There stills to appear to be a time stamp bug in regards to Local Time vs Coordinated Universal Time. I have at least one Lab that the Complete date is recorded on the wrong date. 

I logged a Lab at 6pm Pacific Time , but the date was time shifted to the next day because that is 2am UTC. 

Yeah, okay but what is the problem here – clearly the time of completing being wrongly written down. So the feature of changing the date of the log isn't what we need, but the fix regarding time and timezones definitely.

Edited by sernikk
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, igator210 said:

Apologies, I read your request for an editable date out of the context of this thread.  I agree with @sernikk though: it’s the underlying problem with dates that really needs to be addressed.

Ok... so... it's all very well for us to ruminate about this, or preach to the converted as it were.

Is there ANY possibility the GS is aware of this issue?

AND is there ANY possibility the GS would change the way these caches are recorded on the 'Finds for Each Day of the Year' calendar on our profiles?

I really don't care how they record the find (UTC or local time zone), but I do care that they are consistent with how they display it, and the way it is displayed on that calendar is not consistent with the found date as they have defined it!

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
On 12/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, j0ckser said:

Is there ANY possibility the GS is aware of this issue?

AND is there ANY possibility the GS would change the way these caches are recorded on the 'Finds for Each Day of the Year' calendar on our profiles?

They are definitely aware of this bug as I wrote to them way back when I attended a Mega Event in Australia and half my Lab Caches were counted against my previous day's stats.   this was particularly annoying as I had made a deliberate attempt to beat my previous "caches in a day" record on my way to the Mega and these Lab caches messed up the stats.

The response from Groundspeak was that they "Can't change the date".  I think this is highly insulting to their programmers.  Fancy believing that they are incapable of changing a field in a daabase.

What is even more annoying is that they don't record the time, so we could recalculate the date.

For a company which claims to  speak "The languagre of Location" not to handle time zones is pretty damning.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1