Impolite or inappropriate logs

Aprilscherzen

Hi

In the german subforum there is a thread about Unhöfliche Logs (impolite logs).

Some cacher think a "TFTC" (and nothing more) is impolite. Way more annoying (to me) are logs like these (google translated from german [with spelling errors, I didn't correct them all]):

I often think that tradis are only bycatch, but that's unfair ..... Many tell a story and take me to great places or not ...... And sometimes you find something great or not ... Some Does man just need a break ........ or is on the trail of ... or it's a hotel ...... or a place of worship
or it's just on the way ...... or you clean up your home zone
On the way to {name of a city}.

Thanks for the Cache

Greetings from {name of another city}

Some owners, maybe also those who develop their own rules and then at some point even consider them to be correct, my log entries don't fit the way I write or design them, but that's the way it is ......
Not every cache can please everyone, or not everyone thinks the area is great, or the container is great, etc.
When I do a cache series, I can't write for every cache: yeah, great film can, awesome petling, oh great branch, woof imposing stone, gigantic view, beautiful water and blah blah blah, there is a unit log ...
If there was something that I remember that should be mentioned, then this is always mentioned in an additional sentence, and maybe there is also a photo.

Geocaching is one of my hobbies but not my life. I enjoy it the way I do geocaching. I enjoy collecting points or keeping statistics. I've found my way of geocaching and maybe have different goals than other geocachers, but I respect everyone ........................
Vielen Dank für das Verstecken und für die Pflege dieses Cache. Danke für die Dose -
Dziekuje za kesza : ) - Thanks for the cache : ) - Danke für den Cache : ) - Díky za cache : ) - Vdaka za cache : ) - Merci pour le cache : ) - Dankie vir die kas : ) - Faleminderit për cache : ) - üçün t?s?kkür edirik - Cachea : ) - Hvala za keš : ) - Salamat sa cache : ) - - Hvala za cache : ) - Pokupatsani posungira : ) - Tak for cachen : ) - Dankon pro la kasmemoro : ) - Tänu vahemälu : ) - Kiitos kätköstä : ) - Tank foar it lyts ûnthâld : ) - Grazas ao caché : ) - Godiya ga cache : ) - Mahalo no ka mea, o ke ahu : ) - - Gracias por el caché : ) - Tsaug rau qhov cache : ) - Bedankt voor de cache : ) - Daal? maka cache : ) - Terima kasih untuk cache : ) - Go raibh maith agat as an taisce : ) - Takk fyrir skyndiminni : ) - Thanks kanggo cache : ) - O ?eun fun aw?n ka?e : ) - - Gràcies per la memòria cau : ) - Par via di u cache : ) - Mèsi pou kachèt a : ) - Spas ji bo tevda : ) - Aciu už talpyklos : ) - Merci fir de Cache : ) - Gratiae pro cache : ) - Paldies par cache : ) - Terima kasih kerana cache : ) - Misaotra ny cache : ) - Grazzi ghall-cache : ) - Nga mihi mo te keteroki : ) - Takk for cachen : ) - Graças para o cache : ) - Va mul?umim pentru cache-ul : ) - Faafetai mo le cache : ) - - Thanks nokuti cache : ) - Hvala za cache : ) - Thanks for kayd ah : ) - Thanks bakeng sa polokelo : ) - Shukrani kwa ajili ya cache : ) - Hatur nuhun cache : ) - Taing airson an tasgadan : ) - Tack för cache : ) - uchun rahmat - Diolch am y cache : ) - Köszönöm a cache : ) - - Grazie per la cache : ) - Enkosi efihlakeleyo : ) - Siyabonga cache : ) - : ) - Thanks for the cache

Obviously that cacher has absolutelly no will to write a reasonable log. If so, why can't he just write "TFTC"? (Yes, I know it's because of the spammer badge.)

Unfortunatelly you should not delete those logs according to "7.4. Maintenance expectations: Delete inappropriate logs." though it is absolutely inappropriate (at least if I translate 'inappropriate' to german).

What do you think of those kind of logs? Or does this happen in germany only?

For caches that are placed to keep interest up, some would call these number generating caches I guess,  such as GR, LCPS, etc, a simple TFTC maybe all that is necessary. For caches that are more intricate in placement or design a more descriptive log would be nice. Also, if there is something interesting about the caching trip it is interesting to read

Sometimes what you think you will find is not what you do find, that would be interesting. Not all caches or caching trips are exciting enough for a long log. I know some cachers have canned messages that are inserted into every cache log that make.

3 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

Sometimes what you think you will find is not what you do find, that would be interesting. Not all caches or caching trips are exciting enough for a long log. I know some cachers have canned messages that are inserted into every cache log that make.

True. Not found much of interest except for 2 new ones near me.. BUT the love of this trying to find things keeps me going 

41 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Some geocachers write really really long logs to earn some kind of challenge or badge on project GC. All fluff. Just to have a minimum number of words. When the logs are cut and paste, really long and have nothing to do with my cache, I prefer that they just log TFTC. 

I've read the German thread on this subject. 

I just usually write a little just to say how cool it was etc... enough to show others an interest. 

• Funny 1

If someone has nothing (or not a lot) to write, for whatever reason, they should just stick with a short log. Even only "TFTC" or so, if there is really not more to say (there are such caches ;) ). These spam messages disguised as cache logs, with tons of copy-and-paste stuff, are just what the thread title says - inappropriate and impolite. Also, cachers who log this way tend to do the same even for caches, which really deserve a bit more individuality in the log.

On two (unrelated) occasions, I have asked one of those "mega copy-and-paste" loggers, if they really think this is an appropriate way to thank COs for their effort. Especially when the C&P logs are also written for caches, which are really far from simple park&grabs. In both cases, the answer was not very friendly and boiled down to "F*** off, it's not your business to tell me how I write my logs." And no, I was not surprised about that :rolleyes:.

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, Aprilscherzen said:

In the german subforum there is a thread about Unhöfliche Logs (impolite logs).

Some cacher think a "TFTC" (and nothing more) is impolite. Way more annoying (to me) are logs like these (google translated from german [with spelling errors, I didn't correct them all]):

- snip -

Obviously that cacher has absolutelly no will to write a reasonable log. If so, why can't he just write "TFTC"? (Yes, I know it's because of the spammer badge.)

Unfortunatelly you should not delete those logs according to "7.4. Maintenance expectations: Delete inappropriate logs." though it is absolutely inappropriate (at least if I translate 'inappropriate' to german).

There's a "spammer" badge ?   :huh:    Is that something we really want this hobby associated with ?

We see needless wording, most having little to do with any cache used for "word count" stats on third-party sites.

- Though they aren't bragging about how annoying they are in their log.     :)

I agree that nonsensical blather just to be a pest to others is unseemly. 

If a lot are complaining, an email to HQ saying pretty-much the same thing may show how annoying this person is. Don't hold your breath.

Is anyone checking to see if this person is even signing any logs ?  

11 hours ago, Aprilscherzen said:

Dziekuje za kesza : ) - Thanks for the cache : ) - Danke für den Cache : ) - Díky za cache : ) - Vdaka za cache : ) - Merci pour le cache : ) - Dankie vir die kas : ) - Faleminderit për cache : ) - üçün t?s?kkür edirik - Cachea : ) - Hvala za keš : ) - Salamat sa cache : ) - - Hvala za cache : ) - Pokupatsani posungira : ) - Tak for cachen : ) - Dankon pro la kasmemoro : ) - Tänu vahemälu : ) - Kiitos kätköstä : ) - Tank foar it lyts ûnthâld : ) - Grazas ao caché : ) - Godiya ga cache : ) - Mahalo no ka mea, o ke ahu : ) - - Gracias por el caché : ) - Tsaug rau qhov cache : ) - Bedankt voor de cache : ) - Daal? maka cache : ) - Terima kasih untuk cache : ) - Go raibh maith agat as an taisce : ) - Takk fyrir skyndiminni : ) - Thanks kanggo cache : ) - O ?eun fun aw?n ka?e : ) - - Gràcies per la memòria cau : ) - Par via di u cache : ) - Mèsi pou kachèt a : ) - Spas ji bo tevda : ) - Aciu už talpyklos : ) - Merci fir de Cache : ) - Gratiae pro cache : ) - Paldies par cache : ) - Terima kasih kerana cache : ) - Misaotra ny cache : ) - Grazzi ghall-cache : ) - Nga mihi mo te keteroki : ) - Takk for cachen : ) - Graças para o cache : ) - Va mul?umim pentru cache-ul : ) - Faafetai mo le cache : ) - - Thanks nokuti cache : ) - Hvala za cache : ) - Thanks for kayd ah : ) - Thanks bakeng sa polokelo : ) - Shukrani kwa ajili ya cache : ) - Hatur nuhun cache : ) - Taing airson an tasgadan : ) - Tack för cache : ) - uchun rahmat - Diolch am y cache : ) - Köszönöm a cache : ) - - Grazie per la cache : ) - Enkosi efihlakeleyo : ) - Siyabonga cache : ) - : ) - Thanks for the cache

Just a simple idea.... I don't think it should be too difficult to code this. :-)

A cache owner should be able to use a button "inappropriate log". If that happens once or twice nothing will happen (as some owners will use it if you log a DNF or if you tell that the cache is not waterproof).

If - let's say - 10 (different) owners hit the button for the same logger in a week (or in 100 finds or any other number) than something will happen. At best someone will contact the cache owners and ask about the problem. At least some programme could check for a nonsense like this. The logger may be warned that several cachers find his logging style inappropriate.

• Upvote 3
13 hours ago, Aprilscherzen said:

When I write this kind of log text I am intentionally trying to be impolite.

As already noted in this thread, it is not about what letters or words have been used. It is about the signal-to-noise ratio  When the same text is repeated there is no information.

8 hours ago, CleverCloggs said:

I just usually write a little just to say how cool it was etc... enough to show others an interest. 

Writing logs could be an opportunity to show your writing skills. If a cache has a theme, such as pirate, movie, TV show etc. some finders write a log in keeping with the theme. Or, make a point about the location, nice, scenic , rubbish.

22 hours ago, Aprilscherzen said:

No, German tourists do it in other countries too. (Kidding, but only partially. The reputation is there.)

If an official action were to be taken, I'd start with forbidding any kind of log template or signature features in partner apps. Then add automatic checks to find copy pasted content. No way a human should have to waste their time reading logs that a human didn't write.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
18 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

Not all caches or caching trips are exciting enough for a long log.

Sure. Then keep it short. Don't create a middle finger with nonsense in your log.

18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

When the logs are cut and paste, really long and have nothing to do with my cache, I prefer that they just log TFTC.

Yes, I absolutely agree!

12 hours ago, frostengel said:

A cache owner should be able to use a button "inappropriate log". If that happens once or twice nothing will happen (as some owners will use it if you log a DNF or if you tell that the cache is not waterproof).

If - let's say - 10 (different) owners hit the button for the same logger in a week (or in 100 finds or any other number) than something will happen. At best someone will contact the cache owners and ask about the problem. At least some programme could check for a nonsense like this. The logger may be warned that several cachers find his logging style inappropriate.

Very good idea! :wub:

12 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

There's a "spammer" badge ?   :huh:  

Yes, there is, though it's sometimes spelled a-u-t-h-o-r.

(My point of view might be a little bit unfair to those cachers who really deserve an 'author badge' without spamming.)

1 hour ago, mustakorppi said:

No, German tourists do it in other countries too. (Kidding, but only partially. The reputation is there.)

:lol: Yes, at the west coast of Denmark, I found them, too.

3 minutes ago, Aprilscherzen said:

:lol: Yes, at the west coast of Denmark, I found them, too.

Sadly, not only there and not only German tourists...

I try to write a few words more than simple TFTC for each cache I find. It may be about the container and my searching for it, about the location, about the journey etc. IMO it is something I owe a CO for placing (and hopefully maintaining) a cache. But I don't understand a log that have a kind of gibberish as a content only to make it longer.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Aprilscherzen said:
12 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

There's a "spammer" badge ?   :huh:  

Yes, there is, though it's sometimes spelled a-u-t-h-o-r.

Ha ha, I just took a look on project-gc and it seems I have the top diamond-level Author badge.

image.png.0ce86081fb36436f6a5d22f14d82143f.png

Yet the only time I've ever cut and pasted anything was on some of the mega geo-art caches and even then it was only a sentence or two and I tried to vary the wording as much as I could and add something unique to each cache. Most of the caches I do are interesting experiences and lend themselves to longish logs. Even my DNFs generally run to multiple paragraphs in which I explain my ineptitude for the amusement of others.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
16 hours ago, frostengel said:

Just a simple idea.... I don't think it should be too difficult to code this. :-)

Just an addition to punish misuse of this feature - and with a little learning curve for cache owners that don't like DNF or NM logs and find those inappropriate:

So far I have just suggested what happens to those who write several inappropriate logs according to the owners. But what happens to those who call other logs inappropriate? Again, if you use the button once or twice nothing will happen - and surely this may occur several times as those kind of loggers usually travels in groups so you use the button for any log. But - again those numbers aren't fix - let's say you use the button 10 times in a month for different cachers (if you get 10 finds on your caches by the same logger you get the number 10 quickly so it should be different cachers) someones going to take a look at your logs and - let's say - if it's really you whining about DNF logs or about logs saying that your lobbook is wet, someone tells you that DNFs may occur and that it's your task to keep your cache tidy.

Surely if all the log complaints are justified nothing will happen to you.

So the use of the button starts two counters: the one of the logger and the one of the cache owner.

In addition the cache owner is allowed to say (perhaps there's a drop down menu and an open field for other explanations) why (s)he thinks that this log is inappropriate for example:

"The main log is about two sentences. Afterwards only useless copy and paste signs follow to enlargen the log."

or

"This log tells about a whole caching day and my cache isn't mentioned in any way."

or

"That's just a chemical formula but has nothing to do with geocaching.

or

"These cachers have written the same log for each of their 700+ finds."

(These are all real examples.)