How do you find out when caches were first logged

CleverCloggs

I was curious to find out , how can I check the geocaches hides and when they were? as it seems there are no new ones logged, as most of them are broken, sorry lost, logless, forgotten and from 10 years or more. Maybe its a case of checking everyone.. but it does get rather disheartening when its just a broken or smashed box with no log...:wacko:

defeats the point somewhat.  It would be good to encourage more in our area... As its so beautiful with lots of wonderful hiding places.. I have found 3 so far and awaiting review. Maybe bring new excitement into the area :) 

Any tips welcome... 

brokencache.jpg

Edited by CleverCloggs
added photo!
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, CleverCloggs said:

how can I check the geocaches hides and when they were?

The standard Search functionality allows you to search for caches centred on, say, a cache.  You can then click on the 'Placed On' column heading to find the most recent.

Here's the sorted search around Entre Ribeiras (GC3CX10):

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?lat=39.06552&lng=-7.90155&origin=GC3CX10&utr=false&sort=PlaceDate&asc=False

You can click on Filters to increase the search radius from the 16 km default, etc.

NB. 'Placed On' uses the 'Hidden' date, shown at the top of the cache page.  Although, generally close enough, this won't necessarily be same as the date that the cache was published.  In some cases, they may be wildly different!

Edited by IceColdUK
Added the NB.
25 minutes ago, CleverCloggs said:

Thank you so much for this info...  I shall probably have to switch towns to get better and newer caches, maybe.. it is rather sleepy here... 

Thats's pretty much my favorite thing about geocaching.  You can go pretty much anywhere and finds a cache or two.  I''d love to do some geocaching in Portugal someday.  I'm Portuguese (my great grandfather was born on the Madeira islands, before immigrating to the U.S.).  I've geocached in 15 European countries, but not Portugal (yet).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CleverCloggs said:

Fasinating, of the few that is in the town nearest to me, the newest is 2012.. that explains the bashed up caches I find... :( 

No... lack of maintenance is the reason you're finding caches like that.  The container didn't seem like it had a thick wall either...

The age doesn't mean anything.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, CleverCloggs said:

Fasinating, of the few that is in the town nearest to me, the newest is 2012.. that explains the bashed up caches I find... :( 

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

No... lack of maintenance is the reason you're finding caches like that.  The container didn't seem like it had a thick wall either...

The age doesn't mean anything.  :)

Yep. One of mine lasted 12 years before I had to replace it, and only because someone stole it. Some that I adopted are several years older than that. Lack of maintenance not age is the factor, like cerberus1 said.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yep. One of mine lasted 12 years before I had to replace it. Some that I adopted are several years older than that. Lack of maintenance not age is the factor, like cerberus1 said.

A good container well-suited to its environment shouldn't need much in the way of maintenance. There's a cache I adopted that was hidden in 2005 and is still the original ammo can with the original logbook. The only maintenance I've done since I took it on has been to mark a couple of lost trackables as missing.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, CleverCloggs said:

True maintenance is the key and a sturdy weather proof container of course...

If you find a beaten up cash in a really nice spot, a spot you think is deserving, then you could log a NM or, if it already has one, log a NA which will alert a Reviewer as to its condition. Then, after a period of time determined by the Reviewer, it may be archived. The spot is then free for you to place one of your own.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, RetroRider1955 said:

Ill only put one cache out I think. Portugal is usually slow on everything , so I should expect it to take a while. B)

I would just log off and forget it...  I have one who asks questions then nothing, then one of mine published without a hitch... I have messaged to see if there was any other info needed...  Its how it is I guess.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, RetroRider1955 said:

Finding an intact box would be a good thing! this area is poor for people not looking after them The areas are great, but not maintained. Sad really! spoils the game.

If there's an issue with the cache, as you've experienced, then log a NM. Neither you nor CleverCloggs did on the cache you described as missing a lid and was disappointing. That's how you get the bad caches out of play. Start the ball rolling by logging a NM if the cache needs maintenance. Not having swag is not a NM issue. 

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

If there's an issue with the cache, as you've experienced, then log a NM. Neither you nor CleverCloggs did on the cache you described as missing a lid and was disappointing. That's how you get the bad caches out of play. Start the ball rolling by logging a NM if the cache needs maintenance. Not having swag is not a NM issue. 

I would normally message the owner? is that incorrect??? 

On 9/28/2020 at 3:04 AM, RetroRider1955 said:

I would normally message the owner? is that incorrect??? 

Yes that is incorrect. If they are not active and/or not maintaining their caches they probably are not even going to see those messages. By posting a Needs Maintenance on the cache page the reviewer and other geocachers can see it. 

3.2. When a cache needs maintenance

If you find a geocache in need of help (e.g. logbook is full or container is damaged), add a “Report a problem” option to your log.

When you select “Report a problem” on Geocaching.com, the system adds a “Needs Maintenance” log and an attribute Needs maintenance attribute to the page to alert the cache owner and other geocachers that the cache may need attention.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 3
13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes that is incorrect. If they are not active and/or not maintaining their caches they probably are not even going to see those messages. By posting a Needs Maintenance on the cache page the reviewer will see it. 

3.2. When a cache needs maintenance

If you find a geocache in need of help (e.g. logbook is full or container is damaged), add a “Report a problem” option to your log.

When you select “Report a problem” on Geocaching.com, the system adds a “Needs Maintenance” log and an attribute Needs maintenance attribute to the page to alert the cache owner and other geocachers that the cache may need attention.

A reviewer wont see an NM unless the cache gets flagged by the CHS or unless the reviewer is doing a sweep of the area off his own bat. A reviewer will see the NM if a NA is logged.

Edited by colleda
spelling
  • Helpful 1
Just now, colleda said:

A reviewer wont see an NM unless the cache gets flagged by the CHS or unless the reviewer is donig a sweep of the area off his own bat. A reviewer will see the NM if a NA is logged.

That maybe just my area, then. I recently logged a need maintenance and the next log was from the reviewer, disabling it. It was totally warranted, but it surprised me. At least dozens of found it logs, then one dnf, followed by one note, two more found its, then a needs maintenance. Then the reviewer disabled it. Our reviewer is pretty good about sweeping the area, as you suggested might be the reason. 

• Upvote 2

As far as I can tell reviewers are alerted by NM logs. Almost all the time we see a reviewers note one month after a NM is logged. Then, if there's no action by the CO,  the reviewer will TD the cache after another month and archive a month later if again there's no action by the CO.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, on4bam said:

As far as I can tell reviewers are alerted by NM logs. Almost all the time we see a reviewers note one month after a NM is logged. Then, if there's no action by the CO,  the reviewer will TD the cache after another month and archive a month later if again there's no action by the CO.

Ahh ok.... as we have only a few reviewers here , this might take some time... Ill just keep logging the bad ones I guess. 

On 9/26/2020 at 3:51 AM, RetroRider1955 said:

Ill only put one cache out I think. Portugal is usually slow on everything , so I should expect it to take a while. B)

I see that your cache, "Monty Pylon," hidden by CleverBoots, was published two days after you disabled and resubmitted the cache page to include complete information.  Congratulations on the swift publication of your first cache!  Please note, depending on how your local reviewer manages their workflow, disabling and resubmitting can bump your cache to the "back of the line" to be looked at.

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, CleverCloggs said:
2 hours ago, on4bam said:

Ahh ok.... as we have only a few reviewers here , this might take some time... Ill just keep logging the bad ones I guess. 

Portugal is well-served by four Community Volunteer Reviewers plus an EarthCache Reviewer (a GeoAware).  The delay between a "Needs Maintenance" log and Reviewer action on a cache in need of maintenance is driven by the Cache Health Score, and can take anywhere from days to months depending on the D/T rating and prior logs on the cache page.  A shortage of Reviewers is not the reason for the delay. 

• Helpful 2
8 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Fortunately... enjoy and learn something. ;)

PS: But now more seriously... I would love that you both stop that rant about my country, my traditions and my people. Please.

Ranting?????????????????????????  I adore Portugal and its slow ways, and its beautiful food... nice and friendly people... ..... 

BUT, as you obviously have had you feelings hurt you have MY sincere apologies and will not mention Portugal again. 

não pretendia ferir seus sentimentos! over and out..

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, RetroRider1955 said:

If they don't maintain them, which seems an issue here you will have to go further afield

I was wondering if you were aware that some of the geocaches you found and thought were bad had a red wrench in the attribute. That red wrench is an indication that there's a problem with the cache. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I was wondering if you were aware that some of the geocaches you found and thought were bad had a red wrench in the attribute. That red wrench is an indication that there's a problem with the cache. 

I did find a couple that had that... I need to be more vigilant if I am going to continue to do this!   some have many NM logs... 

3 minutes ago, RetroRider1955 said:

I did find a couple that had that... I need to be more vigilant if I am going to continue to do this!   some have many NM logs... 

One of the many benefits of being PM is using the advanced filters to remove certain geocaches (like those with a red wrench) from your searches. It's been so long since I have not been a PM that I hope I'm not wrong about that. 

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Automatically only by NAs.

But the Cache Health Score may flag them, after a while... if they are not addressed.

I don't know but in any case, a NM seldom goes unnoticed by a reviewer around here. NM > 1 month > RN > 1 month > TD > 1 month > Archived is very common. So alerted or not, that's what we see.

1 minute ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Automatically only by NAs.

But the Cache Health Score may flag them, after a while... if they are not addressed.

Yep.  :)

With the CHS now, I'm not sure they still do it, but our Reviewers used to scan for NMs once in a while

One I know of used to clear entire areas of incorrect Trackables too.  A lot of folks were happy about that.

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Our reviewer is pretty good about sweeping the area, as you suggested might be the reason. 

That is precisely what I suggested. You have a reviewer going above and beyond...  Many reviewers are like that but, as has been mentioned many times in these forums, reviewers may have day jobs, family responsibilities etc which have greater demand on their free time.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Thats's pretty much my favorite thing about geocaching.  You can go pretty much anywhere and finds a cache or two.  I''d love to do some geocaching in Portugal someday.  I'm Portuguese (my great grandfather was born on the Madeira islands, before immigrating to the U.S.).  I've geocached in 15 European countries, but not Portugal (yet).

It is a place where beauty is in abundance even though the caches are not. But a super place to roam...  Will definitely geo some other places in the world... I had lived in Sweden just 3 years ago and looking back there was tons of them LOL