Garmin GPSMAP 65 series announced on 2020-09-24

gpsblake

7 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I'm assuming that screenshot from @Mineral2 is from the status page? Meaning, it's not possible to screen capture that then?

Mineral2 screen captures are from the Map page and Compass page, each with four data fields displayed.

Since you have to change the power buttons function (on a GPSMAP model) to take screen captures, you can not access the Status page when configured to do so, and therefore you can not create screen captures of the Status page. (Hope that makes sense)

However, Mineral2 screen captures are from an Oregon 6x0/7x0, so they can access the Status page and take screen captures simultaneously.

I suspect there is some confusion for you about what the 'Status Page' is.

Please see GPSrChive > {desired model} > Operation > Status Page for details about the Status page.

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Helpful 1

I'm really confused by some of the questions being asked here. @Sgt_Strider, I've gone back through your old forum posts and at one point in 2015, you mentioned having owned and used a gpsMAP 62s. 

Since you are already familiar with the modern era of Garmin GPS units, what exactly do you need reassurance on? The 65s (and even the 66sr) is going to function 90% identically to the 62s from an end user perspective. Sure, there are some new bells and whistles including Bluetooth and wifi capability and multi-GNSS, but with regard to the specific questions we have been going back and forth on in this thread... battery save mode and displaying certain data on the screen, it's identical to the 62s. Just buy your new device and play with it. Or stick with your 62s. Depending on what you're using it for, maybe there's no immediate need to update. Either way, I don't think this conversation needs to progress any further.

• Helpful 1

Hmmm, now that you mention it, @Mineral2,  Sgt_Strider account was created in 2008 with their last visit in 2017, and absolutely 0 finds, hides, stats, etc. Absolutely no activity for >13 years. And, as you have discovered, @Sgt_Strider clearly understands modern Garmin equipment, so the questions we keep answering do seem a bit strange. If I didn't know any better, I might suspect this to be a duplicate 'trolling' account for another member.

1456113907_Sgt_StriderTroll.png.0a4638e7b95b2375d218b4f360dce61f.png

Edited by Atlas Cached

I'm not going to make any assumptions about who is behind the account. I found those posts by looking through his profile, so those older posts are from the same user. He may not be a geocacher - after all we get many users on the forums who come here because we are one of the best resources for GPS knowledge and support. But having used a 62s in the past, I'm just going to point out that the leap between the 60 series and the 62 series may be the one of the largest leaps in Garmin's progression. The difference between the 65 and 62 is not that much compared to the difference between the 62 and the 60... and even then, the similarities are still noticeable.

But Garmin's consistency in the user experience, even between lines, has been maybe one of its strong points - that I as an Oregon user can pick up a gpsMAP or an eTrex and use it with minimal need to consult a manual means that we can answer questions for units we've never worked with and have a high chance of being helpful. Obviously there are some differences - example: the oregon allows a double tap of the power button to access the status page (I think that was true even in the 300/400/450/550 models) whereas the gpsMap units don't means I got it wrong when I mentioned it earlier in this thread. But the vast majority of functions and menu structures are so similar between units that garmin users can switch models with relative ease.

8 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I'm really confused by some of the questions being asked here. @Sgt_Strider, I've gone back through your old forum posts and at one point in 2015, you mentioned having owned and used a gpsMAP 62s. 

Since you are already familiar with the modern era of Garmin GPS units, what exactly do you need reassurance on? The 65s (and even the 66sr) is going to function 90% identically to the 62s from an end user perspective. Sure, there are some new bells and whistles including Bluetooth and wifi capability and multi-GNSS, but with regard to the specific questions we have been going back and forth on in this thread... battery save mode and displaying certain data on the screen, it's identical to the 62s. Just buy your new device and play with it. Or stick with your 62s. Depending on what you're using it for, maybe there's no immediate need to update. Either way, I don't think this conversation needs to progress any further.

I don't have the 62s with me so how can I test this? Seems creepy for you to go back and dig up old posts and then insinuate something is wrong.

7 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Hmmm, now that you mention it, @Mineral2,  Sgt_Strider account was created in 2008 with their last visit in 2017, and absolutely 0 finds, hides, stats, etc. Absolutely no activity for >13 years. And, as you have discovered, @Sgt_Strider clearly understands modern Garmin equipment, so the questions we keep answering do seem a bit strange. If I didn't know any better, I might suspect this to be a duplicate 'trolling' account for another member.

1456113907_Sgt_StriderTroll.png.0a4638e7b95b2375d218b4f360dce61f.png

You're making some really stupid and bizarre comments. I'm not active on this forum and now I want to get back into this hobby. Trolling? Wow. I think it's crazy that you have this much time to dig up old posts and then making crazy insinuations. If I'm not sure of something, I'm going to ask. How that constitute as trolling is beyond me. 

On 12/4/2020 at 3:11 PM, Sgt_Strider said:

I've spent a bit of time comparing the 65s to the new 66sr. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the 65s have the same chipset as the 66sr

I can't comment on the rest of your question, but I don't think this is true. My informed guesses are:

• eTrex 10/20/30/20x/30x/22x/32x: STM Teseo II
  • gpsmap 62: I was pretty surprised by this, but seems to use the same hardware platform as the above eTrex series, since panning and zooming is faster. My guess is that they use a SoC from the platform that has a higher clocked ARM CPU and perhaps more RAM?
  • gpsmap 64: MediaTek, most likely MT6628/6630 or similar
  • gpsmap 65: Broadcom, most likely BCM47758 or another SoC from the BCM4775x series
  • gpsmap 66: MediaTek, most likely MT6628/6630 or similar

But to be sure, we have to wait until someone disassembles these models ;).

• Helpful 1