Garmin GPSMAP 65 series announced on 2020-09-24

gpsblake

26 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I also read that the 66i can be recharged from 0-100% in about an hour. I know you haven't really tested this, but charging time is important and one big reason why the 65 is worth considering. If the charging time is about an hour, that would be great.

You are correct, I have not made any 'official charging time tests' on my devices, but that is because they are hardly ever in need of recharging. I just never get the low enough to worry about it be fore I turn in for the evening, and then I connect them to a USB power source to top off the battery, and they are ready to go again in the morning.

You will spend far more time sleeping every day than these devices will ever need to charge the battery.

30 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

My first Garmin device was the 60CSX. It bothers me to this day that I can't merge all of the data and continue where I left off as I migrate to newer Garmin devices.

Why not?

Open each 60CSx database in MapSource and export as a *.GDB, then import each of those into BaseCamp, then export them from BaseCamp to the new GPSMAP 65 or 66 or whatever model you choose.

3 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Why not?

Open each 60CSx database in MapSource and export as a *.GDB, then import each of those into BaseCamp, then export them from BaseCamp to the new GPSMAP 65 or 66 or whatever model you choose.

I think I asked in the past and it was mentioned that it wasn't possible. So I can export total amount of distance traveled? How can I merge all of those data or pick the fields that I want from my 60CSX, 62S, and 64s to my future Garmin device?

Got some more questions to ask of you experts. 

Is there any way to precisely set the LCD backlight level on both the 65s and 66sr? With my Garmin 60CSx, I think there are only 4 levels or so and I adjust it by pressing the power. What's the dimmest possible screen brightness that I can set on both the 66sr and 65s?

Someone said the battery saver mode may affect WAAS, is there any documented example of this?

How does the battery saver mode work on a 65s/66sr? If I turn it on, I'm assuming the screen will turn off after a pre-determined time? How can I turn the screen back on to use it? Will this disable the battery save mode? If not, I'm assuming the screen will automatically turn off again? My goal is to set the track log to record at a 1 second interval with multi-GNSS and multi-band on. I worry that battery save mode affect the performance.

Apparently the 65s/66sr officially support up to 32GB micro-SD. It's quite easy and affordable to get a high capacity card for very cheap like 512GB. Will the 65s/66sr take advantage of the entire capacity? I'm assuming only maps can be saved on to the micro-SD? Is it possible to save GPX files to the micro-SD?

I read the 66sr have 16GB of memory, but roughly 5.5GB is available for me to use? Is that true? If so, what's taking up most of the internal storage?

12 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

That is so dumb. So what happens? The rest of the capacity is ignored by the Garmin devices or I need to put in a 32GB card?

If you use any microSD card larger than 32GB, you have no way of knowing what part of the memory on that microSD card the GPSr is going to read, and what parts it is going to ignore... So I would not use anything larger than 32GB.

14 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Is the 10% steps for both the 65s and 66sr?

The 66 series display the brightness in 10% increments. The 65 series just moves a bar graph from off to high. I never counted the number of increments, but probably about the same, or more.

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Operation > Status Page

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Operation > Status Page

Edited by Atlas Cached
14 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

The 66 series display the brightness in 10% increments. The 65 series just moves a bar graph from off to high. I never counted the number of increments, but probably about the same, or more.

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Operation > Status Page

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Operation > Status Page

It said the status page isn't available if screenshot mode is enabled. Then what?

14 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

If you use any microSD card larger than 32GB, you have no way of knowing what part of the memory on that microSD card the GPSr is going to read, and what parts it is going to ignore... So I would not use anything larger than 32GB.

This is so dumb. I'm surprised Garmin haven't addressed this. Any plans to deal with it?

How does the battery saver mode work on a 65s/66sr? If I turn it on, I'm assuming the screen will turn off after a pre-determined time? How can I turn the screen back on to use it? Will this disable the battery save mode? If not, I'm assuming the screen will automatically turn off again? My goal is to set the track log to record at a 1 second interval with multi-GNSS and multi-band on. 

Battery save mode only affects screen timeout and does not interfere with track logging. That's different from expedition mode in the 66 which is an extreme battery saver that turns off the receivers periodically and takes points at longer time intervals to give you 400+ hours of use.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:59 AM, Mineral2 said:

Yes. Set the dashboard as data fields and select what data you want in each field. Honestly, the coordinates displayed in real time isn't that useful so much as the distance and direction to your destination. The geocaching dashboard gives you that information.

Can please you show me a screenshot of that?

Just now, Mineral2 said:

Battery save mode only affects screen timeout and does not interfere with track logging. That's different from expedition mode in the 66 which is an extreme battery saver that turns off the receivers periodically and takes points at longer time intervals to give you 400+ hours of use.

Can you elaborate on this? So if the screen times out, I'm assuming you mean it turns off, then how can I turn on the screen again to check the status or whatever I want, and will battery save mode still be enabled to turn off the screen after a set period of time?

6 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Can please you show me a screenshot of that?

For the 65: https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 65/Dashboards.html
For the 66sr: https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66sr/Setup - Map.html 
Setup is nearly identical between the two units as far as the map is concerned and very similar to other "modern era" Garmin devices.

Can you elaborate on this? So if the screen times out, I'm assuming you mean it turns off, then how can I turn on the screen again to check the status or whatever I want, and will battery save mode still be enabled to turn off the screen after a set period of time?

You just tap the power button and the screen comes back on. This feature has been around for several generations of devices going back at least as far as the 62 and Oregon 300/400 series.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Strider said:

This is so dumb. I'm surprised Garmin haven't addressed this. Any plans to deal with it?

Dumb how? With all the questions you have been asking, it is clear you are not familiar with these devices, so how can you so easily condem the 32GB microSD size limit? What are you thinking you want to load on the data card? Honestly, 32GB is more than sufficient for these devices. I remember when a 32MB card was considered 'large'.

?

Edited by Atlas Cached
36 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Dumb how? With all the questions you have been asking, it is clear you are not familiar with these devices, so how can you so easily condem the 32GB microSD size limit? What are you thinking you want to load on the data card? Honestly, 32GB is more than sufficient for these devices. I remember when a 32MB card was considered 'large'.

?

Obviously I'm not an expert or else I wouldn't be asking the questions. 

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

Setup is nearly identical between the two units as far as the map is concerned and very similar to other "modern era" Garmin devices.

You just tap the power button and the screen comes back on. This feature has been around for several generations of devices going back at least as far as the 62 and Oregon 300/400 series.

Again, I'm assuming the battery save mode will still be on, but the screen will turn off after a pre-determined period of time?

Edited by Sgt_Strider
1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

The screenshot in those links doesn't really specifically answer my questions. I don't see such a screen in the link showing the compass in degrees. I get the feeling you rather not configure your unit to show me if it's possible and refer me to a link. I already said I'm not an expert on this topic. At this point, I still don't know if I can configure a Garmin unit to display exactly what I want to display. 

1 hour ago, Sgt_Strider said:

The screenshot in those links doesn't really specifically answer my questions. I don't see such a screen in the link showing the compass in degrees. I get the feeling you rather not configure your unit to show me if it's possible and refer me to a link. I already said I'm not an expert on this topic. At this point, I still don't know if I can configure a Garmin unit to display exactly what I want to display. 

You can use the compass page and set fields on the dashboard to display your heading in degrees. But again, I'm not certain that is useful when you are navigating to a waypoint such as a GPS. All you need is an arrow on the compass pointing to your destination and a distance to your destination. The Geocaching dashboard does that (for geocaches), and you can configure the map to orient to your heading or use the compass page, both with distance to destination in the data fields dashboard to do that for regular waypoints.

The constant display of your coordinates and your heading is unnecessary and quite frankly meaningless when using a GPS to navigate unless you are trying to plot your course on a paper map with a compass at the same time. The device makes all the calculations for you and updates them in nearly real time as you move. Don't overcomplicate this for yourself.

But if you WANT that information displayed on your screen, you can make it happen. The higher end Garmin devices (gpsMAP, Oregon, Montana) are extremely customizable and have been for the past 16 or so years that they've been on the market.

3 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

You can use the compass page and set fields on the dashboard to display your heading in degrees. But again, I'm not certain that is useful when you are navigating to a waypoint such as a GPS. All you need is an arrow on the compass pointing to your destination and a distance to your destination. The Geocaching dashboard does that (for geocaches), and you can configure the map to orient to your heading or use the compass page, both with distance to destination in the data fields dashboard to do that for regular waypoints.

The constant display of your coordinates and your heading is unnecessary and quite frankly meaningless when using a GPS to navigate unless you are trying to plot your course on a paper map with a compass at the same time. The device makes all the calculations for you and updates them in nearly real time as you move. Don't overcomplicate this for yourself.

But if you WANT that information displayed on your screen, you can make it happen. The higher end Garmin devices (gpsMAP, Oregon, Montana) are extremely customizable and have been for the past 16 or so years that they've been on the market.

Why are you making an assumption as to what I want to do? I want that information in my screen and I want to take a screenshot of it. I can't figure out how to do this. I'm not an expert like you. Can you show me a screenshot showing this? I keep hearing you say it's possible and I see no evidence that it is to get all of that information on one screen. 

11 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I don't have a 65 or 66, but when I get home, I can set it up on my Oregon and show you.

If the menu is the same, then I'm not worried. Please show me a screenshot from your Oregon. I really want to learn as much as I can from this community. Thx in advance. Hope to see something tonight!

16 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Hate to sound like a broken record, but that and nearly one hundred additional data fields are all illustrated at GPSrChive > {GPSMAP 65} or {GPSMAP 66sr} > Operation > Data Fields

Maybe you should stop quoting it because I want to see a screenshot and it's not there. So it's a total waste of time. 

6 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

292.png.f8acb77e2a10e4b88cd44a780b324976.png466.png.96e08086bcb187f2d24f3599939c0634.png

That's fantastic! Thank you so much!!!

What does the "T" underneath the degree symbol mean? I'm assuming the elevation is based on the reading from the barometric altimeter in your device?

If you set your power button to take a screenshot (that's the default?), then how can I see the status page?

3 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

What does the "T" underneath the degree symbol mean? I'm assuming the elevation is based on the reading from the barometric altimeter in your device?

I think the T represents that I have my device set up to display the direction with respect to true north instead of magnetic north.

8 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Maybe you should stop quoting it because I want to see a screenshot and it's not there. So it's a total waste of time. 

They are ALL there, but you have to open your eyes to see them. Kind of like the 'Horse and Water' story....

People here are trying to help answer your questions, and being combative toward them may not help you get the answers you desire.

If you set your power button to take a screenshot (that's the default?), then how can I see the status page?

On most devices, you have to disable the screen capture option to again have access to the Status page, but the Oregon 7x0 has a second 'User Button' that allows you to do both simultaneously.

2 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

On most devices, you have to disable the screen capture option to again have access to the Status page, but the Oregon 7x0 has a second 'User Button' that allows you to do both simultaneously.

Is there any way to see the status page and have the ability to screen capture?

1 minute ago, Sgt_Strider said:

So the "T" means southeast? I suppose if you're southwest, the location of the "T" would shift to the lower left corner?

No, the T means that when I am facing 0 degrees, I am facing toward the axial north pole, whereas with a traditional magnetic compass, when you face 0 degrees, you are facing toward the magnetic north pole. I've set my device to display directions with respect to true north instead of magnetic north so that the device does the declination correction automatically for me.

• Helpful 1