Garmin GPSMAP 65 series announced on 2020-09-24

gpsblake

Thanks for pointing out some links I was not recognizing previously on that page.

2 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

While I have never encountered a scenario where only two GPS satellites were available at any one given time, and I doubt anyone ever will, the combination you provide above is more than enough to calculate the users position, and those coordinates will be even more accurate when Multi-BAND is enabled.

I don't care so much about improving the accuracy from some meters to sub-meter but to keep at least a rough position even when the general reception is getting worse.

I believe whenever a GPS-only device is losing its position - and that still happens to me in (street-)canyons or otherwise heavily restricted surroundings - it is because the number of (useful) Satellites drops below 3. It's remarkable to me that you never encounter such situations.

• Upvote 1

That is where the Multi-GNSS comes into play, providing simultaneous access to FIVE satellite constellations instead of just one or two. This means instead of having access to only 2 or 3 GPS satellites in restricted surroundings (your examples), you potentially have access to 5 times (10-15) as many satellites. This alone offers better performance than previous models.

But wait.

If you also have Multi-BAND enabled, you will get twice as many signals from GPS and Galileo, bringing that total up to between 14 and 21 usable signals. And, because these new Multi-BAND GPSr can perform their own ionospheric correction in real time, they do not need WAAS/EGNOS signals to further refine their position!

Edited by Atlas Cached
math error correction

I've spent a bit of time comparing the 65s to the new 66sr. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the 65s have the same chipset as the 66sr so it can receive multi-band GPS signals in addition to accessing all 5 GNSS simultaneously. In other words, performance and accuracy should be the same between the 65s and the 66sr?

One big reason why I am more interested in the 65s than the 66sr is the fact that it supports AA batteries. I still have a fully functional Garmin 60CSX. The device would be long dead by now if it had an integrated battery. It doesn't seem like Garmin will make it easy to replace aging batteries with the 66sr. I don't replace or upgrade my handheld GPS devices at the same frequency as smartphones.

One advantage that I think the 66sr have is that it can use Wifi to download satellite data to help it achieve a lock faster. I don't think the 65s can do that. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Is the 65s capable of downloading satellite data such as using Bluetooth to sync with a PC or smartphone?

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Sgt_Strider said:

One big reason why I am more interested in the 65s than the 66sr is the fact that it supports AA batteries. I still have a fully functional Garmin 60CSX. The device would be long dead by now if it had an integrated battery. It doesn't seem like Garmin will make it easy to replace aging batteries with the 66sr.

This exact topic has already been discussed multiple times right here in this very thread: here, here, and here.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
11 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

This exact topic has already been discussed multiple times right here in this very thread: here, here, and here.

Yea, but it's still a legitimate concern. I rather use a sanctioned or a battery that's designed around the 66sr rather than something hacked on to the 66sr.

You got any comment on this?

I've spent a bit of time comparing the 65s to the new 66sr. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the 65s have the same chipset as the 66sr so it can receive multi-band GPS signals in addition to accessing all 5 GNSS simultaneously. In other words, performance and accuracy should be the same between the 65s and the 66sr?

ne advantage that I think the 66sr have is that it can use Wifi to download satellite data to help it achieve a lock faster. I don't think the 65s can do that. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Is the 65s capable of downloading satellite data such as using Bluetooth to sync with a PC or smartphone?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Yea, but it's still a legitimate concern.

Only for those who are unable (or not willing) to unscrew six torx fasteners and disconnect a single 4 -pin push-on connector.

Only for those who insist on making life any harder than it already is.

For everyone else, there is no issue or concern.

I rather use a sanctioned or a battery that's designed around the 66sr rather than something hacked on to the 66sr.

Why would anyone 'hack something on to the 66sr' when an identical replacement battery is already available from multiple online sources?

Only those who like to make life harder than it really is.

You got any comment on this?

No, I don't 'Got' any comment. 

I 'have' some comments, and they are posted above.

16 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Only for those who are unable (or not willing) to unscrew six torx fasteners and disconnect a single 4 -pin push-on connector.

Only for those who insist on making life any harder than it already is.

For everyone else, there is no issue or concern.

Why would anyone 'hack something on to the 66sr' when an identical replacement battery is already available from multiple online sources?

Only those who like to make life harder than it really is.

No, I don't 'Got' any comment. 

I 'have' some comments, and they are posted above.

Can you tell me where to buy such a battery?

I didn't see anyone comparing the performance and accuracy between the 66sr and the 65s. 

39 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Can you tell me where to buy such a battery?

Simply google the battery part number, which is available by selecting the battery link on the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Specifications page.

40 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I didn't see anyone comparing the performance and accuracy between the 66sr and the 65s. 

Both units are brand new releases, and I doubt very many people have purchased both to compare them side by side....

My GPSMAP 66sr is my current 'Go To' device. I can use it all weekend long and still have nearly 50% battery remaining, which is something I can not replicate with any of my "AA Battery' powered devices.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

One advantage that I think the 66sr have is that it can use Wifi to download satellite data to help it achieve a lock faster. I don't think the 65s can do that. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Is the 65s capable of downloading satellite data such as using Bluetooth to sync with a PC or smartphone?

Taken directly from page 7 of the Garmin GPSMAP 65/65s Owner's Manual:

Connected Features:

Connected features are available for your GPSMAP 65/65s device when you pair the device to a compatible smartphone using the Garmin Connect app. Additional features are available when you connect your paired device to the Garmin Explore app on your smartphone. Go to www.garmin.com/apps for more information.

EPO Downloads:

Allows you to download an extended prediction orbit file to quickly locate GPS satellites and reduce the time it takes to get an initial GPS fix using the Garmin Connect app.

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

Taken directly from page 7 of the Garmin GPSMAP 65/65s Owner's Manual:

That's amazing. The 65s is also cheaper so I'm really leaning on the 65s. Based on everything that you've seen so far, do you think there are differences in accuracy and performance between the 65s and the 66sr?

With regards to battery save mode, this is new to the 66sr and the 65s right? I've never seen this feature before. So if I set the recording interval to auto or 1 second, battery save mode will have no impact on the performance and accuracy right? All it does is just shut down the screen while everything else is at full performance?

I know you don't think the battery is an issue. However, have you actually replaced your battery in any of your Garmin devices before? I don't know if it's as easy as you say it is and whether there will be long term problems using unsanctioned third party batteries. I just Googled up the part number and it seems like there is only one manufacturer. It's called Cameron Sino. I've never heard of them before and I don't know the quality of their batteries.

Thanks!

Edited by Sgt_Strider
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

That's amazing. The 65s is also cheaper so I'm really leaning on the 65s. Based on everything that you've seen so far, do you think there are differences in accuracy and performance between the 65s and the 66sr?

Yes.

When I rotate my GPSMAP 65s from a vertical position to a horizontal position, the GPS signal status bars all drop by about 80%. Some just disappear. I have reported this behavior to Garmin hoping they can resolve it with a firmware fix.

I do not experience similar behavior with my GPSMAP 66sr.

16 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

With regards to battery save mode, this is new to the 66sr and the 65s right? I've never seen this feature before.

No, battery save mode has been available on Garmin GPSr for more than a decade.

16 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

So if I set the recording interval to auto or 1 second, battery save mode will have no impact on the performance and accuracy right? All it does is just shut down the screen while everything else is at full performance?

On some devices it may disable WAAS/EGNOS also, but, as a general rule of thumb, you should not notice any GPS tracking issues with it enabled.

19 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I know you don't think the battery is an issue. However, have you actually replaced your battery in any of your Garmin devices before?

No, none of them have failed yet!

19 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I don't know if it's as easy as you say it is and whether there will be long term problems using unsanctioned third party batteries.

It is a 5 minute job. 

When batteries do finally begin to fail, there will likely be more manufacturers providing them. You know, supply and demand?

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Yes.

When I rotate my GPSMAP 65s from a vertical position to a horizontal position, the GPS signal status bars all drop by about 80%. Some just disappear. I have reported this behavior to Garmin hoping they can resolve it with a firmware fix.

I do not experience similar behavior with my GPSMAP 66sr.

No, battery save mode has been available on Garmin GPSr for more than a decade.

On some devices it may disable WAAS/EGNOS also, but, as a general rule of thumb, you should not notice any GPS tracking issues with it enabled.

No, none of them have failed yet!

It is a 5 minute job. 

When batteries do finally begin to fail, there will likely be more manufacturers providing them. You know, supply and demand?

You've been amazing. I appreciate your opinion. I had no idea you bought both the 65s and the 66sr. Why did you do that?

I looked at some of the screenshots from the reviews posted online. I thought it can receive signals from all 5 GNSS. Yet, in those screenshots, I only see Galileo's L5 band and or GPS. How can I check if it's connected to all 5 GNSS if possible?

WAAS/EGNOS doesn't exist on the 65s and 66sr right? Just wondering, have you tested battery life with a 1 second recording interval on both your 66sr and 65s with battery save mode? If so, how much battery life did you get?

I understand that none of your batteries have failed yet, but it's inevitable. Furthermore, if you use it everyday and drain it, the battery's capacity will decrease over time. That's simply unavoidable. If you haven't done this before, how can you be so certain that it's a 5 minute job of just swapping the battery?

42 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

You've been amazing.

That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me here in these forums. Thank You!

43 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I looked at some of the screenshots from the reviews posted online. I thought it can receive signals from all 5 GNSS. Yet, in those screenshots, I only see Galileo's L5 band and or GPS. How can I check if it's connected to all 5 GNSS if possible?

Both GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Pages > Satellite and GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Pages > Satellite each display animated screen captures demonstrating devices receiving GPS L1+L5 and GALILEO E1+E5 and GLONASS simultaneously. 

The user must be within range of the other two GNSS (NavIC and QZSS) for the device to use them. Neither of those have global coverage, while the other three do.

51 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

WAAS/EGNOS doesn't exist on the 65s and 66sr right?

Correct.

WAAS/EGNOS is obsolete on these units as they can perform their own live ionospheric corrections in real time with Multi-BAND enabled.

53 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Just wondering, have you tested battery life with a 1 second recording interval on both your 66sr and 65s with battery save mode?

No. Two reasons. Time, and the firmware for each are still very early and immature. I am certain these features and functions will be further refined over the next 12-24 months, eventually resulting in a mature firmware release, and that is when I would want to perform any 'meaningful' battery life tests that would likely remain applicable for future users.

56 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

How can you be so certain that it's a 5 minute job of just swapping the battery?

I've already had my units apart to inspect the internals.

It's not rocket science.

B)

• Surprised 1
44 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

I've already had my units apart to inspect the internals.

It's not rocket science.

B)

It is when you drop one of the torx screws onto a medium pile carpet!

Time to go to the caching toolkit for a magnet!

I noted above that you said changing orientation from vertical to horizontal on the 65s dropped signal by 80%, and that you had hoped firmware might overcome that.  Don't think there's any hope for that.  Sounds far more like an antenna orientation issue.  Unlike the antenna designs on the non-helical ("quad helix") styles that lay flat to the board, and like to be held flat, my experience with older helical antenna units (e.g., 76) was that they preferred an upright orientation for signal strength.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ecanderson said:

It is when you drop one of the torx screws onto a medium pile carpet!

Time to go to the caching toolkit for a magnet!

9 hours ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Yea, but it's still a legitimate concern.

I'm kinda surprised myself about garmin and newer models with battery "packs".   

Someone doing bike handlebar testing of these new models in cold weather would be great.    :)

Carpet ?  I'm thinking outside, where it would be an issue.  There'd be no tiny screw disassembly in snow here.   :laughing:

Sarge, can't see where you're from (no hides/finds), but It's in the 30s here, colder soon ...when batteries take a beating, and changing out when your hands are frozen has to be simple   

Keeping things compatible is ingrained in many when you're in the woods a lot (we're hunting n fishing too...), and not sure when you're getting back to the truck. 
Our other outdoors "gizmos" (I'd never rely on) that might accompany us use AA or AAA too, and we pitched all our cutesy usb-charged internal battery stuff when it didn't function as-intended in real use. 
We take precautions to keep our phones safe.   The GPSr is hanging from a clip, sometimes in a coat, but most times exposed...

When Atlas mentioned changing batteries in the field, I think he might have been exaggerating. Who in their right mind is going to carry such a battery with exposed wires and connectors with them in their pack where it can get banged up and damaged. These parts aren't designed for that sort of thing. Not to mention, if you're constantly taking apart your device to swap batteries, it's going to wear down the seal and compromise the waterproofing. I suspect he was just making a point so that when the battery only holds 4 hours worth of charge in 4 years, you can swap it out with a fresh one.

My concern with batteries is that buying 3rd party supplies comes with risks. I've used off-brand batteries just fine. But I've also had them fail on me, and I know of others who have had them fail in ways that damaged their equipment. No-name brands from countries with less stringent consumer safety laws don't tend to have a high level of quality assurance testing.

Then, there's the issue of what to do when your battery runs out and you're in the field. It really is nice when I'm backpacking to just swap out a pair of AA batteries rather than have to tether my GPS to a charging block. If Garmin is going to continue down this path and design the next Oregon model with a Lithium-ion battery, I'd prefer it be swappable like the Montana 700 so I can buy a second for quick switches when I'm on the trail. I mean, who carries a Torx screwdriver in their packs?

Finally, there's the issue of the USB port. Garmin has switched from mini-USB to the less durable micro-USB. Currently, I only plug in once a week to update geocaches and transfer any new tracks to Basecamp. And while I don't use my GPS nearly as often as I do my cell phone, the constant plugging and unplugging has taken its toll on the USB port to the point where my old phone only charges in precarious positions and won't keep a connection to transfer data over USB. If Garmin joins 2017 and outfits their devices with USB-c ports, then maybe it won't be such an issue. As it is, we know that older Garmin units can last up to 15 years or more in usefulness as evidenced by all the people who still insist on using their 60csx and Vista Hcx. I would hate for the limitation on the lifespan of these newer units to come down to the battery or the USB charging port.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

It's not rocket science.

B)

When that is said in my presence, my response is:  "I'll be the judge of that!"

Yes, I was on the Delta II Expendable Launch Vehicle Team.  I worked the launches of the current, 2nd generation, GPS satellites, 1995 - 2002.  If your GPSr's work, I made no mistakes.

Actually, we did not use the term "rocket science" back then.

6 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Garmin has switched from mini-USB to the less durable micro-USB. Currently, I only plug in once a week to update geocaches and transfer any new tracks to Basecamp. And while I don't use my GPS nearly as often as I do my cell phone, the constant plugging and unplugging has taken its toll on the USB port to the point where my old phone only charges in precarious positions and won't keep a connection to transfer data over USB. If Garmin joins 2017 and outfits their devices with USB-c ports, then maybe it won't be such an issue.

Interesting point. So far I have not had any trouble with the micro-USB ports on a couple of older, (one is a @ 10 year old phone),  devices I have and still use although I know trouble is their reputation.  I have had problems with the USB-c port on my 3 year old Pixel phone. But that is caused mainly, I think, by small debris and lint getting in it as aggressive cleaning gets it working again.  I worried that I might damage it though so now I use a blank plug in the port every day and it has been less trouble. Maybe my next phone will have wireless charging.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:18 PM, Sgt_Strider said:

Just wondering if anyone here have any tips on how to attach a Garmin GPS 66sr or 65s on to a tripod? I can't find a mount to help me do that. 

1. Get one of these for your Spine Mount equipped Garmin GPSr:

A. RAM Spine Mount with Ball Adapter

2. Then select one of these for your Tripod:

A. RAM Track Ball

B. RAM Ball Adapter

C. Generic Ball Adapter

3. Finally, choose one of these to connect them together:

A. RAM Double Socket Arm 3"

B. RAM Double Socket Arm 6"

C. RAM Double Socket Swivel Arm 8"

With 1A, 2A, and 3C I am able to position my GPSMAP 66sr so that the Quad Helix Antenna is plumb with the tripod center line.

EnjoyB)

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

1. Get one of these for your Spine Mount equipped Garmin GPSr:

A. RAM Spine Mount with Ball Adapter

2. Then select one of these for your Tripod:

A. RAM Track Ball

B. RAM Ball Adapter

C. Generic Ball Adapter

3. Finally, choose one of these to connect them together:

A. RAM Double Socket Arm 3"

B. RAM Double Socket Arm 6"

C. RAM Double Socket Swivel Arm 8"

With 1A, 2A, and 3C I am able to position my GPSMAP 66sr so that the Quad Helix Antenna is plumb with the tripod center line.

EnjoyB)

That's amazing! I'm surprised that you were able to come up with such a solution. Thank you!

I don't know if you ever tried bringing your Garmin handheld devices on to a plane. You got any suggestions besides using a suction cup to get the Garmin as close to the window as possible?

Since you have the Garmin 66sr, I'm just wondering if you can tell me how long it takes to recharge the battery going from 0% to 100%?

Thanks!

Edited by Sgt_Strider

As Mineral2 suggest, most modern aircraft can only receive reasonably decent satellite signals from the window seats. I usually place the GPSr in a jacket pocket (inside pocket works well for me) and then fold and place the jacket between me and the window, paying attention to where the 'GPSr pocket' is so it is facing up and toward the window.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

As Mineral2 suggest, most modern aircraft can only receive reasonably decent satellite signals from the window seats. I usually place the GPSr in a jacket pocket (inside pocket works well for me) and then fold and place the jacket between me and the window, paying attention to where the 'GPSr pocket' is so it is facing up and toward the window.

Since you have the Garmin 66sr, I'm just wondering if you can tell me how long it takes to recharge the battery going from 0% to 100%?

16 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

It's nice to have maps pre-loaded for your flight path, not just the destination.  I love knowing what I'm looking at out the window.  :)

17 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

It depends on the plane. I try to get a window seat anyway because I like looking out at the landscape. Some planes still allow the signal to penetrate to the aisle seat. Most don't.

16 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Using a RAM mount, can you guys think of a place to mount a handheld GPS instead of putting it in a jacket pocket?

4 hours ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Using a RAM mount, can you guys think of a place to mount a handheld GPS instead of putting it in a jacket pocket?

I don't think that would be very smart. It will only draw extra attention to you, and may not turn out well. For you, or any of the rest of us who like to record flights covertly.

The list of airlines that still prohibit the use of a handheld GPSr aboard an aircraft during the CRUISE phase of the flight has become VERY small.  The number that prohibit it during take-off and landing has also diminished.  The concerns regarding interference just never materialized as actual incidents.  A handheld GPSr produces less RF than many other "PED" (personal electronic devices) and are grouped with them.  The most recent (though a bit dated) FAA missive on the topic can be found here >> https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ped/

They set up some standards and then effectively punted it to the aircraft manufacturers and airlines since they didn't want to get into the testing business.

48 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I'm just wondering if someone can tell me how long it takes the Garmin 66sr to recharge the battery from 0% to 100%?

As I have stated before, I can use my GPSMAP 66sr for an entire weekend and still have nearly half the battery capacity remaining...

I have never had to charge from 0% to 100% because I have never seen the battery level drop that low.

If you are asking because you wonder how long it would take to charge the device with an external power source in the field, it would largely depend on the output of the power supply used. I can tell you the Li-ion battery charge quicker than the NiMH 'AA' batteries in my other devices, which always seem to take 10+ hours due to the nature of how they are charged.

I would also suspect that someone using a 66sr in the field would not allow the device to reach 0% battery before charging it. Topping it off once every few days (depending on use) would make more sense.

10 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

...  quicker than the NiMH 'AA' batteries in my other devices, which always seem to take 10+ hours due to the nature of how they are charged.

You using 200mA to charge them?

-ΔV and temperature profile can be a bit tricky to detect 1/10C charge in NiMH.  It's not like NiCd where it was pretty easy to spot.  Takes a GOOD charger to detect it reliably (e.g., LaCrosse or Maha)..

A little more current (500mA) won't hurt the life cycle count much if you have a decent charger, and it'll save some time if you need it.

2 hours ago, ecanderson said:

You using 200mA to charge them?

-ΔV and temperature profile can be a bit tricky to detect 1/10C charge in NiMH.  It's not like NiCd where it was pretty easy to spot.  Takes a GOOD charger to detect it reliably (e.g., LaCrosse or Maha)..

A little more current (500mA) won't hurt the life cycle count much if you have a decent charger, and it'll save some time if you need it.

I have both a Lacrosse and a Maha, but I do not use them to charge the batteries for my Garmin GPSr that have integral chargers.

Sgt_Strider wants to know how long it takes to fully charge a GPSMAP 66sr with a completely discharged battery (do Li-ion really ever fully discharge?) My reference was to the amount of time it takes to charge the NiMH batteries in my GPSMAP 66st (or any other Garmin NiMH GPSr, for that matter).

Edited by Atlas Cached
1 hour ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Anyone here know if the Garmin 65's GUI is the same as the 66SR?

For the Geocaching User Interface (GUI):

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65s > Pages > Geocaches and GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Pages > Geocaching to see the differences.

or

If you are asking about the General User interface (GUI), or Graphical User Interface (GUI), you will also see they are nothing alike. The GPSMAP 65 is essentially a GPSMAP 64 with enhanced Multi-Band capabilities, and does not include any of the advanced features available with the GPSMAP 66 series devices.

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1
On 3/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, Atlas Cached said:

For the Geocaching User Interface (GUI):

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65s > Pages > Geocaches and GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Pages > Geocaching to see the differences.

or

If you are asking about the General User interface (GUI), or Graphical User Interface (GUI), you will also see they are nothing alike. The GPSMAP 65 is essentially a GPSMAP 64 with enhanced Multi-Band capabilities, and does not include any of the advanced features available with the GPSMAP 66 series devices.

Besides the integrated lithium battery and wifi, what other advance features the 66 series have over the 65? 

GUI as in the General User Interface. Is it possible to configure the 65 or the 66SR to display the GPS coordinates, time, and the heading in degrees in one screen? If so, how do I configure it?

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Besides the integrated lithium battery and wifi, what other advance features the 66 series have over the 65?

The 66 has a larger and higher resolution screen, similar to the screens on the Oregon models. 

It's only the 66sr and si that have the internal lithium battery. The 66s(t) both use 2 AA batteries, but do not have the multi-GNSS and Multi-band capabilities that the 66sr and 65 series have. So, there are tradeoffs at the moment.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

The 66 has a larger and higher resolution screen, similar to the screens on the Oregon models. 

It's only the 66sr and si that have the internal lithium battery. The 66s(t) both use 2 AA batteries, but do not have the multi-GNSS and Multi-band capabilities that the 66sr and 65 series have. So, there are tradeoffs at the moment.

I want the multi-band capability so that's why I'm torn between the 65 and the 66sr. In terms of GUI, how are they different?

Is it possible to configure the 65 or the 66SR to display the GPS coordinates, time, and the heading in degrees in one screen? If so, how do I configure it?

40 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Is it possible to configure the 65 or the 66SR to display the GPS coordinates, time, and the heading in degrees in one screen? If so, how do I configure it?

Yes. Set the dashboard as data fields and select what data you want in each field. Honestly, the coordinates displayed in real time isn't that useful so much as the distance and direction to your destination. The geocaching dashboard gives you that information.

3 hours ago, Sgt_Strider said:

So Many........

Active Weather

BirdsEye Direct

Connect IQ

GCLive

inReach Remote

Superior Recording Controls

Superior Track Management

Superior Activity Management

Superior Waypoint Management

MIL-STD-810 Military Spec Durability

LED Flashlight

Superior Resolution LCD (3x)

Superior Map Segment Capacity (5x)

Higher Waypoint Capacity (2x)

Higher Route Capacity (+50)

Longer Track Logs (2x)

More Saved Tracks Capacity (+50)

XERO Support

RINEX Support

etc....

5 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Yes. Set the dashboard as data fields and select what data you want in each field. Honestly, the coordinates displayed in real time isn't that useful so much as the distance and direction to your destination. The geocaching dashboard gives you that information.

Can please you show me a screenshot of that?

9 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I have data fields set to destination name (which is a cache or waypoint), and destination coordinates.  Because I’ve so often been unknowingly set to navigate to the wrong place.  For most people, yeah, two free fields.  :cute:

Similarly, I use the Geocaching Dashboard as a novelty in the main menu... Because it always points to a Geocache (such as the cache I just now found), even if I’m navigating to a waypoint.  That one seems to bite people a lot.

Edited by kunarion
6 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

So Many........

Active Weather

BirdsEye Direct

Connect IQ

GCLive

inReach Remote

Superior Recording Controls

Superior Track Management

Superior Activity Management

Superior Waypoint Management

MIL-STD-810 Military Spec Durability

LED Flashlight

Superior Resolution LCD (3x)

Superior Map Segment Capacity (5x)

Higher Waypoint Capacity (2x)

Higher Route Capacity (+50)

Longer Track Logs (2x)

More Saved Tracks Capacity (+50)

XERO Support

RINEX Support

etc....

I intend to use the Garmin device more for tracking and geotagging my photos. How are the recording controls, track management, and waypoint management better on the 66sr?

The 66 series had RINEX support for a while know, but I don't know how to take advantage of it. If I turn it on, will it also record a tracklog with a 1 second interval if I want? I want as accurate and frequently recorded track log as possible.

I just read the 66i doesn't show the battery percentage unless it's plugged in. I'm assuming it's the same problem as on the 66sr? If so, that's pretty annoying in the field if I want to keep track of battery life.

Apparently if using the battery save mode, it's a hassle disabling or enabling it compared to the 65?

I also read that the 66i can be recharged from 0-100% in about an hour. I know you haven't really tested this, but charging time is important and one big reason why the 65 is worth considering. If the charging time is about an hour, that would be great.

Should I ever need to change the battery in the future, will this reset the trip computer data or any other data that's saved internally? My first Garmin device was the 60CSX. It bothers me to this day that I can't merge all of the data and continue where I left off as I migrate to newer Garmin devices. Whether I get the 66sr or the 65, I intend to keep it and use it for a very long time. 

Edited by Sgt_Strider
5 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I intend to use the Garmin device more for tracking and geotagging my photos. How are the recording controls, track management, and waypoint management better on the 66sr?

With the introduction of the Oregon 6x0 in 2013, Garmin also introduced us to a new track log recording interface called 'Current Track' (GPSrChive > Oregon 6x0 > Applications > Current Track) which was far superior to the previously used track log recording interface. (details at the link)

In 2016, the Oregon 7x0 was introduced with the same interface, but it was renamed 'Current Activity'. (GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Current Activity)

In 2018, Garmin introduced everyone to the new GPSMAP 66s/st series, which was primarily an Oregon 7x0 with a QFR Antenna and a slightly reworked interface to account for the push-button operation instead of touchscreen. The GPSMAP 66 also used the updated track log recording interface, but it was again renamed, this time to 'Recording Controls'. (GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Recording Controls)

Introduced in 2014, after the Oregon 6x0, the GPSMAP 64 series would still use the same old tired and limited track log recording interface that was present on previous devices dating all the way back to the Colorado series. (GPSrChive > GPSMAP > GPSMAP 64)

Then, in 2019, Garmin would introduce us to GPSMAP 64 GEN II, known as the 64x series, which included TopoActive mapping and twice the internal memory, but still used the tired and limited track recording interface of yester-year. (GPSrChive > GPSMAP > GPSMAP 64x)

And just a few months ago, in September of 2020, Garmin would introduce the GPSMAP 65 series, which is essentially a GPSMAP 64 (with the same decade old UI) but with a new GPS antenna and chipset. (GPSrChive > GPSMAP > GPSMAP 65)

The GPSMAP 66 series all offer more options and controls for starting, stopping, monitoring, saving, editing, sorting and viewing of track logs and waypoints, while the GPSMAP 65 series continues to use an interface that was barely state-of-the-art a decade ago.

23 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I just read the 66i doesn't show the battery percentage unless it's plugged in. I'm assuming it's the same problem as on the 66sr? If so, that's pretty annoying in the field if I want to keep track of battery life.

There are multiple Connect IQ options to display battery percentage in a widget or data field as desired. Just go have a look at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66i > Applications > Connect IQ or GPSrChive > How To... > Connect IQ for detailed information.

25 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Apparently if using the battery save mode, it's a hassle disabling or enabling it compared to the 65?

No, no hassle at all. Just press the power button to wake the display. Could not be more simple. If that is too much hassle, then probably using a GPSr is not for you.