size - bison in a large chunk of wood

Tazdoodle

7 minutes ago, Tazdoodle said:

Hi there - My hubby drilled a hole in a large chunk of wood which now houses a small bison tube. So, even though the guardian wood is large, I still give the size small for the bison tube, correct? I'm starting to second guess myself. Thanks for any replies.

I consider a bison tube a micro. A small bison tube definitely a micro. A giant bison, maybe considered size small container.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

Depending on where you live, you may find the chunk of wood will last longer if you dry it out and put a bit of sealant or varnish over it, to prevent it rotting away. On the other hand, if it'll be located close to where you live (or it's in a fire risk area), it may be cheaper and / or easier to replace the bit of wood every so often (once a year, or as it deteriorates) rather than treating it.

2 hours ago, Tazdoodle said:

Hi there - My hubby drilled a hole in a large chunk of wood which now houses a small bison tube. So, even though the guardian wood is large, I still give the size small for the bison tube, correct? I'm starting to second guess myself. Thanks for any replies.

I have a themed series ("Bison Trail") consisting mostly of bison tubes. One is in a drilled rock, another in a drilled house brick. They are all listed as micro. The rock, brick and, in your case, "large chunk of wood", is camouflage. In my cache description I mention whether or not the bison tube is "naked" or camouflaged.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

I would list it as an "Other" for size. It isn't a micro, because the overall size is too big (lump of wood) and it isn't a large, because it has the internal dimensions of a micro. Say large and it would be expected to be able to trade trinkets and drop off a trackable (which could cause disappointing if the finder expected to drop off/trade trinkets, or drop off a trackable, as they won't fit), and say micro it will waste searchers' time looking in all sorts of nooks and crannies. Marking it as "Other" gives the searcher a better idea of what they are looking for; they are looking for something 'different'.

I have marked some of my caches as "Other", being neither large/small or micro. In fact I got negative feedback when I listed the example attached spider cache (a bison tube stuck in its rear) as a micro. I had wondered if I should list it as micro or other and listed it as micro. After the negative feedback I had to agree they were right, and I changed it to "Other".

The train is also listed as "Other", for the same reasons. The reviewer asked me to give some information of about the size for this one to assist the search, so I put in the train's description, "The item you are looking for is about the size of a small, but will only fit the log." The "Other" size was then accepted.

Red Hill cache.jpg

Fyshwick Choo Choo 2.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
5 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would list it as an "Other" for size. It isn't a micro, because the overall size is too big (lump of wood) and it isn't a large, because it has the internal dimensions of a micro. Say large and it would be expected to be able to trade trinkets and drop off a trackable (which could cause disappointing if the finder expected to drop off/trade trinkets, or drop off a trackable, as they won't fit), and say micro it will waste searchers' time looking in all sorts of nooks and crannies. Marking it as "Other" gives the searcher a better idea of what they are looking for; they are looking for something 'different'.

I have marked some of my caches as "Other", being neither large/small or micro. In fact I got negative feedback when I listed the example attached spider cache (a bison tube stuck in its rear) as a micro. I had wondered if I should list it as micro or other and listed it as micro. After the negative feedback I had to agree they were right, and I changed it to "Other".

The train is also listed as "Other", for the same reasons.

Red Hill cache.jpg

Fyshwick Choo Choo 2.jpg

IMHO you got it right first time. The container is a micro and, like I have mentioned previously, the rest is camo. If I hide a micro in a hole in a tree does that then become an "Other" due to size of the tree?

Edited by colleda
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, colleda said:

IMHO you got it right first time. The container is a micro and, like I have mentioned previously, the rest is camo. If I hide a micro in a hole in a tree does that then become an "Other" due to size of the tree?

Tell me, what would you use "Other" for then?  It is an official rating. Large is listed as "bigger than a shoebox', so it can't be just because it's really large, so what makes an other to you?

Just now, Goldenwattle said:

Tell me, what would you use "Other" for then?  It is an official rating. Large is listed as "bigger than a shoebox', so it can't be just because it's really large, so what makes an other to you?

One example would be a log sheet in a flat plastic bag covered by a magnetic sign.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Here's another. It's one I've made but still looking for a good place for it. At the moment it's on my fridge. The spot I had originally planned turned out to be non ferrous as its magnetic.

vent1.jpg

vent2.jpg

• Helpful 2
14 minutes ago, colleda said:

Here's another. It's one I've made but still looking for a good place for it. At the moment it's on my fridge. The spot I had originally planned turned out to be non ferrous as its magnetic.

vent1.jpg

vent2.jpg

That's different, I haven't seen one like that metal vent before.

One of my favourites of that type was on a notice board in a country town. The cache was behind a Lost Cat notice with a photograph of a cat named 'Muggles' which had supposedly gone missing. Another was in full view on a noticeboard in Hobart. It was some obscure sport and people (geocachers) who were interested in it were to sign the list (the log book).

4 hours ago, Tazdoodle said:

I have something similar for one of my caches (it was given to me at a Creation Celebration event last year):

DSC_0435.jpg.bd4c97b9c6927160f66e273741393276.jpg

The inner tube holding the logbook is micro-sized (about 70ml in volume) whereas the lump of wood it's in is regular-sized, so I've listed it as Other with an explanation in the description.

• Upvote 1

There might be regional differences... As you might know, Geocaching is a global game, played locally!

In the region we're reviewing in, we ask the hider to use the inner volume of the container as the measurement for the size.
So looking at the sizes given in the help centre:

micro <100ml

small >100ml<1l

regular >1l<20l

large >20L

That leaves "no volume" for the "other" geocache size.

Tbh, those examples provide by @colleda are the only "others" we've published since we became reviewer.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, colleda said:

The spot I had originally planned turned out to be non ferrous as its magnetic.

We'll keep our eyes peeled for this one! ^_^

Our latest was like that - I spotted a good spot, then thought... 'hang on, that doesn't look like gal steel', sure enough it was stainless. We 3D printed a custom holder for it instead.

Edited by lee737
43 minutes ago, GerandKat said:

In the region we're reviewing in, we ask the hider to use the inner volume of the container as the measurement for the size.

As a searcher who's not into SWAG and is rarely trying to drop trackables, I'd find the outside volume to be far more useful. If I'm searching for something listed as a micro, I'd be looking in places something tiny would be, like knot-holes in trees or honeycombing in rock, rather than focusing on only those places where a much bigger thing could be concealed. After all, you can't put anything in the cache until you find it. Maybe that's why I log so many DNFs.

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Tell me, what would you use "Other" for then?

"Other" means that the size is described in the cache description.

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Wrong, it's NOT a micro.

If the nano container is glued to a small hole in a big rock, will it make a large sized cache?

1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:

Then the poor searcher reading it marked as 'micro' is crawling around looking in all nooks and cracks, thinking they are looking for a micro, when they aren't. And possibly not finding it, as they have been looking in micro size places and ignoring bigger objects.

Exactly. When a cache size is rated "other" we know it can be anything but most of the time it's something "special". Logs, branches and any sort of stone or rock are the first things we start to look for in that case. When there are buildings around, fake magnetic signs/ventilation covers are looked for.

Most of the time the combination D rating, "other" and percentage of favorites is the best hint what to look for.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, sernikk said:

What? Why?

As I wrote, "Then the poor searcher reading it marked as 'micro' is crawling around looking in all nooks and cracks, thinking they are looking for a micro, when they aren't. And possibly not finding it, as they have been looking in micro size places and ignoring bigger objects. "

Plus read the rely by on4bam.

It's been explained.

Basically it's because the object does not fit into any of the sizes, often having an internal micro sized space, but a much bigger exterior. To call it say a regular, when it has a micro internal size, is bound to annoy people who expect a regular to hold trinkets and TBs, and might even have come to drop off a TB, because it was marked regular. And to call it micro, has...well, as I wrote.

I also seem to remember when I joined, the description of a small and bigger, included words something like, "Able to hold trinkets and TBs." A micro can't hold those. That was a good description, and shame it was deleted.

Edited by Goldenwattle

I disagree that this is an "other". The guidelines crearly say:

Micro containers are less than 100 milliliters. They’re about the size of a film canister, or smaller. They can hold a tiny logbook or log sheet. If a micro cache is less than 10 milliliters, it’s often called a nano cache.

Having a camouflage being sized as large, doesn't make the cache itself a large, but it is still a micro. "Other" is in my opinion reserved for something different which can't fit into other categories. A micro with camo fits into micro. More details can be added in the description by the owner.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, sernikk said:

I disagree that this is an "other". The guidelines crearly say:

Having a camouflage being sized as large, doesn't make the cache itself a large, but it is still a micro. "Other" is in my opinion reserved for something different which can't fit into other categories. A micro with camo fits into micro. More details can be added in the description by the owner.

Exactly, it doesn't fit micro, large or in between. It's an other.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Goldenwattle said:

Exactly, it doesn't fit micro, large or in between. It's an other.

Exactly that is what I didn't say ;)

A micro with camo fits into micro. You can disagree on that of course, listing micros as Others is not harmful to anyone, except to those who like statistics showing the truth ^_^

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
4 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

In fact I got negative feedback when I listed the example attached spider cache (a bison tube stuck in its rear) as a micro.

I agree with @GerandKat, there are regional differences. In fact if I had listed your example as "other", I would probably get negative feedback here. As @sernikk wrote, it is the size of a container what matters here, not the size of the whole "item" to search, and I was surprised when I read in the forum about a different approach some time ago.

17 minutes ago, sernikk said:

to those who like statistics showing the truth

That's why I truthfully list it as Other. I don't want to mislead. I think very carefully about size and ratings to get them as correct as I can. It assists people to find the cache. Listing a large object as a micro, misleads and has people searching in the wrong places. That's cruel.

Edited by Goldenwattle
33 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Then the poor searcher reading it marked as 'micro' is crawling around looking in all nooks and cracks, thinking they are looking for a micro, when they aren't. And possibly not finding it, as they have been looking in micro size places and ignoring bigger objects.

This obviously depends on local conventions on cache size.

Here (in Germany) an "Other" is something "without volume" (like flat plates with a log strip on the back). A nano glued into a big rock is a micro, even if the rock has been moved there by the CO. And because I lived and learned goecaching in this context, a search for a micro always includes searching for bigger "special objects", which might house a micro! E.g., when I'm searching a micro and GZ is in the woods, in an area without boulders, and I see a bigger rock somewhere, I not only lift it (to check if there's a cache under it), but also turn it around (to check, if the cache is embedded in it). Micros hidden in logs are actually are relatively common hide here for high-D micros.

Actually I'm fine with both views - cache size is only the container volume vs. size includes "special camo" integrated with the container itself. I only want to know beforehand what I'm up to. It would be easier, if there was a single coherent usage across all GC communities, but this is obviously not the case ;) . So the next best option is to keep it consistent at least within one area or country. I need to adapt anyway when caching in foreign countries, not only because of how cache size is handled, but because of different "typical" hiding styles and a different "common understanding" about D/T ratings.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would list it as an "Other" for size. It isn't a micro, because the overall size is too big (lump of wood) and it isn't a large, because it has the internal dimensions of a micro.

But I'm not looking for the lump of wood. I'm looking for the micro-size Bison tube embedded in the lump of wood. Finding the lump of wood does me absolutely no good. I have to find the Bison tube, which is micro-size.

I don't think sticking a Bison tube in a lump of wood changes its size any more than sticking a magnetic keyholder to a sculpture changes its size. They're both still micro.

9 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

This obviously depends on local conventions on cache size.

Here (in Germany) an "Other" is something "without volume" (like flat plates with a log strip on the back). A nano glued into a big rock is a micro, even if the rock has been moved there by the CO. And because I lived and learned goecaching in this context, a search for a micro always includes searching for bigger "special objects", which might house a micro! E.g., when I'm searching a micro and GZ is in the woods, in an area without boulders, and I see a bigger rock somewhere, I not only lift it (to check if there's a cache under it), but also turn it around (to check, if the cache is embedded in it). Micros hidden in logs are actually are relatively common hide here for high-D micros.

Actually I'm fine with both views - cache size is only the container volume vs. size includes "special camo" integrated with the container itself. I only want to know beforehand what I'm up to. It would be easier, if there was a single coherent usage across all GC communities, but this is obviously not the case ;) . So the next best option is to keep it consistent at least within one area or country. I need to adapt anyway when caching in foreign countries, not only because of how cache size is handled, but because of different "typical" hiding styles and a different "common understanding" about D/T ratings.

Here, if someone (usually a newer cacher) doesn't list the cache as an Other, but an actual size, I find they tend to list the cache as per the outside dimensions more often than micro, such as small or regular. Frustrating to make a special trip to leave a TB in such as cache, to find a micro internal sized cache which doesn't allow a TB to fit.

7 hours ago, Tazdoodle said:

I've seen these listed in various ways, as previous replies mentioned.  In rare cases, I've seen caches listed by size of the entire thing, but I've usually seen a log like that placed on the ground, where a bison tube listed for its size didn't confuse me.  Thinking back on your finds, what designation seemed to make sense to you?  If there may be additional confusion to finders (especially if the log cache goes missing), you can add a little more to the description or hint.  So people aren't spending hours, for example, inspecting the hundred million little holes in a nearby wall to find a bison tube. 

A bison tube is almost always relatively tiny, so it would be a Micro.  Because lately everycache seems to be way too small to hold Trackables regardless of the listing, I'd prefer this particular style not be listed as anything bigger than Micro, so that I don't hunt that one just for its allegedly big size, when I'm hoping top place a TB.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

There's a cache I did recently that's a regular-sized ammo can filled with lots of micro containers, one of which contained the logbook. In that case, is the ammo can the container or just the camo and should it be listed as a regular (which it was) or a micro?

I saw many "clip on lid" plastic boxes, over 100 ml volume each, where logbook inside was put into a small plastic bag. Should they be listed as micros?

• Funny 1
1 minute ago, niraD said:

But I'm not looking for the lump of wood. I'm looking for the micro-size Bison tube embedded in the lump of wood. Finding the lump of wood does me absolutely no good. I have to find the Bison tube, which is micro-size.

I don't think sticking a Bison tube in a lump of wood changes its size any more than sticking a magnetic keyholder to a sculpture changes its size. They're both still micro.

I have explained the short comings of listing that as a micro previously. As has barefootjeff (I hope he doesn't think I have taken a liberty mentioning that).

More than once I have wasted time searching in cracks, etc for a micro sized object, when if it had been listed as an Other, I would also have searched objects.

24 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

There's a cache I did recently that's a regular-sized ammo can filled with lots of micro containers, one of which contained the logbook. In that case, is the ammo can the container or just the camo and should it be listed as a regular (which it was) or a micro?

That's an example where the cache may be listed by the size of the housing, "Regular" although the tiny log container is Micro.  But even then it's not often too confusing to me when I arrive expecting a Micro, to be hunting and notice an ammo box.  I'd probably open the ammo box instead of hunting that Micro.  Ammo boxes full of little tubes are rare, but I've never been surprised by one.  The cache page has many favorites, a chastisement that you "must find the log sheet",  some punny title about Easter Eggs or whatever, and logs about "finding it after only a few attempts".

But if set as Other or something that makes me think it's a Micro, be sure that ammo box is in an un-muggly spot.  If it goes missing, I'm "hunting a Micro".

Edited by kunarion
18 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

That can be tricky. I came upon a cache just like that. An ammo box full of small micro sized containers. Only thing, is the log wasn't in the box or any of the small containers. It was a bison tube on the other side of the tree. Actually, listing that as a micro would be correct, as the ammo box wasn't the cache, but a decoy. The (plain) bison tube was the cache.

Another similar one. Another ammo box full of micro sized containers. Again the log wasn't in any of those. It was in the lining of the camouflage cloth that covered the ammo box. Truly an Other.

Another. A cache at the bottom of the tree. This time the real cache was hidden in the bird hide in the tree above.

1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:

That can be tricky. I came upon a cache just like that. An ammo box full of small micro sized containers. Only thing, is the log wasn't in the box or any of the small containers. It was a bison tube on the other side of the tree. Actually, listing that as a micro would be correct, as the ammo box wasn't the cache, but a decoy. The (plain) bison tube was the cache.

Wow, that's just plain nasty!  I should make one of those. :P

Here are two caches listed differently.  Neither one confused me by the size setting.  These may be good examples for research.  

This one was a huge bucket full of plastic Easter eggs, among fallen logs, and listed as Micro:  One egg held the log sheet:

https://coord.info/GC1A3AD

It had some clues within the cache description that let you know it was unusual.

"The Black Widow Cache" was an ammo box at the edge of a swamp, listed as Regular.  It held a bunch of plastic 35mm film canisters, one with a log sheet:
https://coord.info/GC1MKRD

This one's clues were subtle, but it mentioned that you bring your own pen.

Here's something to consider about those two examples.  Although cachers sometimes added a TB or two among the photo canisters in the "Regular" Black Widow ammo box , the "Micro"-listed large bucket full of eggs never acquired TBs.  Of the two, the ammo box was suitable for TBs.  Or even some swag.

Here's an unrelated cute story:  I was a new cacher and Black Widow was my 5th find.  It had a slightly creepy large plastic spider strapped to the handle.  I knew about Swag, but didn't know all the etiquette about its placement.  So I bought a bunch of very creepy black rubber spiders and packed them into some of the canisters.  One spider filled one canister, and I pressed them into place so when you open a lid, wriggling spider legs pop out!  After that, there were logs about how scary that cache is.  B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
19 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have explained the short comings of listing that as a micro previously.

Yes. I just disagree with you.

There's nothing wrong with using the size Other. I've seen caches listed as size Other when there was no question what size they were. Like the "ammo can" that turned out to be a micro-size novelty ammo can. Or the "blinker" that turned out to be a regular-size signal light from a radio tower (not the common nano-cache container). The CO is free use size Other for anything.

19 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

More than once I have wasted time searching in cracks, etc for a micro sized object, when if it had been listed as an Other, I would also have searched objects.

I'm going to look for the micro-cache in cracks and nooks and crannies, but I'm also going to search under larger objects, on the sides of larger objects, etc. Micro-caches are often hidden in or on larger objects, so of course I'm going to search there.

Again, I am not looking for the large-size chunk of wood in this case. Finding it does me no good. I'm looking for the micro-size bison tube. Listing it as size Micro is appropriate.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

The ammo can is not "only camo" but also a container by itself. If it can be used to store swag or trackables, I would list it as "regular" size. I've found several caches of this kind(*), and a few of them were listed as "micro". However, either from the description or the hint, it was always clear that you shouldn't look for a typical micro. Actually, that's a good example where a meaning (but maybe slightly cryptic) cache listing is better than any long discussion about the "correct" size rating.

(*) One of these was a very large (> 50 liters) plastic drum, filled with more than 500(!) (according to the listing, and I totally believe it) micro containers. Go find the log sheet and the coordinates for the bonus cache :P!

• Upvote 2

Locally, the size is specified for the size of the container.

I like baer2006's explanation.

Where you have something squirrely, like Jeff's example, it's still consistent in this area.  The ammo box was placed by the CO and could hold swag, trackables, and a sub-container (bison) with the log in it.  What are you searching for in the woods?  The regular (ammo can).  What can the 'container' hold?  A 'regular' amount of stuff.  How the log is held within the Regular is another story.

Log with bison, OTOH, listed here always as micro.  Whether you found the log in situ or brought the log along, you hid a micro in it.  No room for trackables or swag.   It's a micro.  Goldenwattle - the search is no different.  You look for a micro any place that a micro could possibly fit, including in the end of a piece of wood.  That might make the find harder in the woods, especially for new cachers, but you adjust the D rating accordingly.  I've searched a lot of pieces of wood of various sizes looking for a 2ml centrifuge tube, which is so small that it is sometimes even listed as "Other" -- that's a local convention for things of only a few ml in size like nanos.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

It's a micro.  Goldenwattle - the search is no different.

It's a micro where you live maybe; but not everywhere else necessarily. The search for an Other and a micro can be quite different. But it seems the result of this, is that there are many opinions, possibly depending what part of the world people live in, and none of us are ever likely to agree.

34 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

It's a micro where you live maybe; but not everywhere else necessarily. The search for an Other and a micro can be quite different. But it seems the result of this, is that there are many opinions, possibly depending what part of the world people live in, and none of us are ever likely to agree.

Have never understood why it's so variable.

What volume of stuff can the object placed by the CO contain?  If we just stuck with that as a general rule, it would be a great deal simpler.  Talking about the size of the object vs. the volume of the object seems to be the problem, and gc.com is clear enough that the volume is the guiding factor. 

A micro placed in a tree suddenly becomes a Large because the tree is bigger than an ammo can?  No. 

So why is a micro placed in a log suddenly a Regular? 

The volume in either case is Micro.  How difficult it is to find that micro is a separate story, and should be based upon difficulty given the nature of the hiding site. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, colleda said:

I have a themed series ("Bison Trail") consisting mostly of bison tubes. One is in a drilled rock, another in a drilled house brick. They are all listed as micro. The rock, brick and, in your case, "large chunk of wood", is camouflage. In my cache description I mention whether or not the bison tube is "naked" or camouflaged.

Yep.   :)     

We had a series on a bike trail...  all listed as micros (matchstick holders) leading to a  closer-to-regular sized lock n lock.

Most had holes drilled into small limbs, a brick, a rock, and a piece of scrap lumber.

in my 16 year experience I have found that "other" usually means "micro" hidden in an unusual way. I learned long ago that a "micro" might be inside a rock, lump of wood, fake spider or any number of other objects. Sometimes hiders list their hides as "other" simply because they don't want to admit that they are "micros". New players to the game are always going to miss some types of hides that they will find easily later. No need to protect them from mistakes by mislabeling hides as "other". They won't know what you're talking about anyway.

• Funny 2
5 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Yes, that's the game.

Tee-Hee; sometimes the camouflage throws people off.

• Funny 1

What if I place a log book inside of a nano. The nano inside a magnetic key holder. The key holder to the inside of an ammo can. Then hollow out the bottom of a 2 foot diameter rock so I can fit an ammo can in it. Place the ammo can inside of the rock. Then place the rock inside of a hollow tree?  

Do I get to check all the size options? :D

• Funny 1
16 minutes ago, RocTheCacheBox said:

What if I place a log book inside of a nano. The nano inside a magnetic key holder. The key holder to the inside of an ammo can. Then hollow out the bottom of a 2 foot diameter rock so I can fit an ammo can in it. Place the ammo can inside of the rock. Then place the rock inside of a hollow tree?  

Do I get to check all the size options? :D

I've actually found a nesting cache, where smaller containers were in larger ones.  It was listed as "Other".  It had a ziplock bag inside the biggest container for swag.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1