As popular as before? Geocaching?

CleverCloggs

Just now, Goldenwattle said:

What are you being asked?

Just about where the cache is situated, I took detailed photos and description.. but then it was as if I was being asked about another cache.. Maybe it was a site glitch, I hope I have clarified things now.. So thought about a small film clip to describe the cache and area for future (if any) hides. 

On 9/23/2020 at 9:09 AM, on4bam said:

Just a thought. You found 6 caches so far. Only traditionals. Maybe it's better to find some more, some different cachetypes.

As for "reporting". That's done by posting a "needs maintenance" log. Just mentioning a problem in four found it log can easily be missed by the CO.

I also tend to take photos of the broken caches too.... its a shame there are so many in my area! 

Just now, Goldenwattle said:

Were any of the broken Portuguese caches, hidden by non-residents. I am wondering if they were 'holiday' caches, placed there by people on holiday, who then go home to their countries, never to return to fix the caches.

Fortunately here in Canberra, most of our caches are okay, and most COs fix them when needed.

could be! 

2 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Were any of the broken Portuguese caches, hidden by non-residents. I am wondering if they were 'holiday' caches, placed there by people on holiday, who then go home to their countries, never to return to fix the caches.

Fortunately here in Canberra, most of our caches are okay, and most COs fix them when needed.

Some of the caches I found were from 12 years ago! maybe they have just been forgotten... I always think if your playing a game, any kind of game, you need to be aware and focused.. not just leave in the middle of it :) 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, CleverCloggs said:

Just about where the cache is situated, I took detailed photos and description.. but then it was as if I was being asked about another cache.. Maybe it was a site glitch, I hope I have clarified things now.. So thought about a small film clip to describe the cache and area for future (if any) hides. 

It gets easier.  I'm surprised that the photos and description were not sufficient but you'll learn what you're review expects and when you might need to provide additional information.  Usually the reviewer just needs clarification to make sure that the location isn't on private property or that you haven't done something when hiding that violates the guidelines.   Keep in mind that the reviewer *wants* to publish your cache.  That's what they volunteered to do.

• Helpful 2
4 hours ago, CleverCloggs said:

I am now being question, by a reviewer.... I wonder if it would be easier just sending a film clip of the areas? might be more information for the reviewer instead of back and forth every day?  is that anything anyone has done? 

The website does not allow for video uploads, only images.  So no, people don't do that.

Please understand that, once you upload a picture of a stone wall, the scrutiny level from the reviewer about how the cache is hidden rises appreciably, especially in Europe.

• Helpful 4
17 minutes ago, Keystone said:

The website does not allow for video uploads, only images.  So no, people don't do that.

Please understand that, once you upload a picture of a stone wall, the scrutiny level from the reviewer about how the cache is hidden rises appreciably, especially in Europe.

I have now deleted the cache and will not ever out anything in a wall................ I meant a video for the reviewer... but NP. 

8 minutes ago, CleverCloggs said:

I have now deleted the cache and will not ever out anything in a wall................ I meant a video for the reviewer... but NP. 

None of your pending caches have been "deleted."  There is one which you temporarily disabled, and three which are active in the pending review queue - including the cache page where you uploaded an image of a stone wall.  The closest thing to "deleting" a cache would be to archive the cache page.

I suppose if you are dead set on providing a video, you could post one and provide a hyperlink in a reviewer note.  If the video wasn't hosted on a trusted service like YouTube, Vimeo, etc., I wouldn't click on the link if I were the reviewer.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

yes, temporarily disabled, sorry should have been more specific. I shall not be reinstating it.  How can you delete it?  I may have a deleting session.

I was trying I guess to breath new life and cool caches into my area.. its rather quiet and most of them are broken.... Its rather disheartening when that happens. 

.I shall not upload or use videos. It was just a thought that's all... Not wanting to put the cat among the Pidgeon's, so to speak... Thanks for the advice.... 

Cache pages are never "deleted."  They are either active (published or unpublished), temporarily disabled or archived.  The closest thing to "deleting" a cache would be to archive the cache page.

You temporarily disabled a cache called "água água em todos os lugares," but you uploaded the same image (a rock wall) to both that cache page and to a cache called "Hardly Lar Doce Lar."  If "Hardly Lar Doce Lar" is not hidden along the rock retaining wall, perhaps that's the source of the confusion.

• Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Cache pages are never "deleted."  They are either active (published or unpublished), temporarily disabled or archived.  The closest thing to "deleting" a cache would be to archive the cache page.

You temporarily disabled a cache called "água água em todos os lugares," but you uploaded the same image (a rock wall) to both that cache page and to a cache called "Hardly Lar Doce Lar."  If "Hardly Lar Doce Lar" is not hidden along the rock retaining wall, perhaps that's the source of the confusion.

yes because when I got a message it said it was for the review of água água em todos os lugares,", thats why I uploaded the pictures.... I then messaged saying so. I wonderded if it was just a glitch, but couldn't delete the wrong photos. 

Images can be deleted by opening the log, selecting the image, and then clicking "delete image" (the trash can icon).  It would be a good idea for you to do that, and to explain to the reviewer in a reviewer note that (1) the wrong image was uploaded to the cache page that you'd like to see published, (2) you've since removed that image, and (3) you've since withdrawn the other cache (involving the rock wall) from the review process.

• Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Keystone said:

Images can be deleted by opening the log, selecting the image, and then clicking "delete image" (the trash can icon).  It would be a good idea for you to do that, and to explain to the reviewer in a reviewer note that (1) the wrong image was uploaded to the cache page that you'd like to see published, (2) you've since removed that image, and (3) you've since withdrawn the other cache (involving the rock wall) from the review process.

Yes I did, thanks to your guidance :) 

3 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

What is wrong with a rock wall. Is the worry that some people will dismantle the wall? What about gabion walls?

Probably off topic to a thread called "As popular as before? Geocaching?" but (1) there are numerous examples of damage done by geocachers to stone walls, leading to localized prohibitions such as in the United Kingdom and, apparently, Portugal, and (2) yes, this appears to be a gabion wall.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Probably off topic to a thread called "As popular as before? Geocaching?" but (1) there are numerous examples of damage done by geocachers to stone walls, leading to localized prohibitions such as in the United Kingdom and, apparently, Portugal, and (2) yes, this appears to be a gabion wall.

it was a mini cache but has now been removed and archived.  :) problem solved...  its always a good thing to respect walls, trees, and the like when gocaching. I feel. 

47 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

What is wrong with a rock wall. 

If it is centuries old?

Yes, in Portugal we have that limitation, because especially in the area that we are talking about some of the walls, bridges and roads date back to the roman occupation.

If the cache is clearly spotted, it could be not harmless perhaps, but the problems arise when the cache is very well hidden, or simply missing... then, the unrepairable destruction begin. I saw it too many times, before we started to not allow it. Even so, sometimes the owners won't disclose it... but when people log them and the reviewers become aware, the cache may be archived.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
27 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

If it is centuries old?

Yes, in Portugal we have that limitation, because especially in the area that we are talking about some of the walls, bridges and road date back to the roman occupation.

If the cache is clearly spotted, it could be not harmless perhaps, but the problems arise when the cache is very well hidden, or simply missing... then, the unrepairable destruction begin. I saw it to many times, before we started to not allow it. Even so, sometimes the owners won't disclose it... but when people log them and the reviewers become aware, the cache may be archived.

Yes, there are many old bridges, I searched for a cache at an old bridge found nothing.. so it could well have been lost... Its always good to protect nature :) 

31 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

If it is centuries old?

Yes, in Portugal we have that limitation, because especially in the area that we are talking about some of the walls, bridges and roads date back to the roman occupation.

If the cache is clearly spotted, it could be not harmless perhaps, but the problems arise when the cache is very well hidden, or simply missing... then, the unrepairable destruction begin. I saw it too many times, before we started to not allow it. Even so, sometimes the owners won't disclose it... but when people log them and the reviewers become aware, the cache may be archived.

We don't have such old structures in Australia. Although there was a trig with a piled up rock base with a cache hidden in the bottom. People searching were ruining the rock structure, so the cache was removed and archived.

21 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

We don't have such old structures in Australia. Although there was a trig with a piled up rock base with a cache hidden in the bottom. People searching were ruining the rock structure, so the cache was removed and archived.

we have a lot of old ruins, structures around here... our nearest city is and hour away, and the town just for shopping is 29km away... so the caches are old and few from the ones I have seen so far... fingers crosse3d for some new ones...

1 minute ago, CleverCloggs said:

Ahh, yes traveling??? 

Not exactly... rather an example of my own. A cache that I only found in the 4th attempt.

After sometime (and experience) we are able to identify hideouts more easily, a good hint is "Where would I hide it?".

Naturally it is difficult to answer this simple question if we lack knowledge of the multitude of ways to hide a cache in the environment.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Not exactly... rather an example of my own. A cache that I only found in the 4th attempt.

After sometime (and experience) we are able to identify hideouts more easily, a good hint is "Where would I hide it?".

Naturally it is difficult to answer this simple question if we lack knowledge of the multitude of ways to hide a cache in the environment.

Yes, the ones I didn't find I shall do a return.. But alas many of them are so old and maybe not even there in my area. Yesterday I was on the floor under a bench, looking for a micro, and I found it :) nice after having so many bad ones... 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It gets easier.  I'm surprised that the photos and description were not sufficient but you'll learn what you're review expects and when you might need to provide additional information.  Usually the reviewer just needs clarification to make sure that the location isn't on private property or that you haven't done something when hiding that violates the guidelines.   Keep in mind that the reviewer *wants* to publish your cache.  That's what they volunteered to do.

I sincerely hope that it get published....  just feels slow and un productive... maybe that's just me... There isn't one new ones in the area, and having some new ones might encourage the game play again... Isn't that what its all about... hopefully.

8 minutes ago, CleverCloggs said:

I sincerely hope that it get published....  just feels slow and un productive... maybe that's just me... There isn't one new ones in the area, and having some new ones might encourage the game play again... Isn't that what its all about... hopefully.

In my area usually a pause on the review process is because I forgot to include some information to the reviewer. What kind of container I used, how it is hidden, and step by step instructions on solving the puzzle. 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

In my area usually a pause on the review process is because I forgot to include some information to the reviewer. What kind of container I used, how it is hidden, and step by step instructions on solving the puzzle. 

I would love to do some puzzle ones, but I need experience first :)  would love to find some though.... intact too 

9 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Walls can also include those of historic buildings. I seem to recall one or two up this way being archived after a reviewer became aware.

I came across a drystone wall in Wales that was being slowly demolished by seekers. The cache was not in the wall but close enough to it, about one metre, at the base of a tree covered by a couple of stones from said wall. IIRC it has now been archived.

• Helpful 1