Dip/Visit trackables

GearHeadAZ

IIRC it used to be the same as the website, but many forgot to click off the "auto" feature once in a while.

Some trackable owners  were freaking when hundreds of logs were auto-generated by one person for every cache in a numbers run/power trail.

I prefer it.  Similar to Unit473L, I feel it's one of those "the app doesn't replace the website" things.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

IIRC it used to be the same as the website, but many forgot to click off the "auto" feature once in a while.

Cache and some trackable owners  were freaking when hundreds of logs were auto-generated by one person for every cache in a numbers run/power trail.

I prefer it.  Similar to Unit473L, I feel it's one of those "the app doesn't replace the website" things.  :)

Yes, there is or was an App or two that not only allowed people to select all TBs and Visit them at all once, it could be set to happen automatically.  If it was set (by default or by accident), every TB in your Inventory gets logged into every cache you find, regardless of whether or not you physically drag that bag of everyone else's TBs around.  Or even if you lost the TBs a long time ago.

AND the automatic stuff tended to be a surprise to the Taker... when asked after 1000 logs had been made to "Visit" a TB he lost months ago.  The App (most any App) doesn't necessarily have the details, the stats that you see in the web site.  Nor the ability to unscramble TB logs when you accidentally log a bagful into one cache.

I have thought about an App being more robust at handling TBs.  But how to make it handle and repair problems, aye, there's the rub.  First The App needs to decide what a "problem" is.  If someone carries a bag of other people's TBs to every cache forever, isn't that a problem? :ph34r:

Personally, I don't understand the point of having hundreds in a person's inventory.

I have the first four that I've bought, I plan on releasing them soon (waiting on some tools to etch aluminum tags) though I might cart one around for a bit before releasing it. When I pick up other people's TB's, I prefer to only pick up one, max two. But that's because I love to take photos (both to "prove" the TB was there and so the owner can see their TB out and about).

If someone goes around constantly picking up other people's TB's and not releasing them, then I'd consider that rude. If someone constantly bought more and more TB's and went around logging them in bulk but never released them, then I'd find that odd (and kind of defeats the purpose). I can totally understand not wanting to release the originals, but in that case make a proxy and keep the original in its display case at home. Get that code out there travelling the world! 

• Helpful 1
36 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

If someone constantly bought more and more TB's and went around logging them in bulk but never released them, then I'd find that odd (and kind of defeats the purpose). I can totally understand not wanting to release the originals, but in that case make a proxy and keep the original in its display case at home. Get that code out there travelling the world! 

Some people like to buy Geocoins they find cool.  One of each.  The coins are all activated and might be shown at Events, in a binder or on racks.  Neither the coin nor even a proxy is placed into a cache to travel.  I have about 100 Trackables that I've either purchased or won as door prizes or were given to me by the cachers that made them.  Keeping them in a box at home is cool, but if I ever decided to bring them to a coin show Event, I'd probably activate them first.  If people are dropping by to marvel at them, they might feel the need to log them.  OK, I could leave them unactivated and simply cover the Tracking Code from view, and just let people look.  But considering the pros and cons, if the coins tend to be on public display, activating them is the way to go. 

Anyway, my plan is to never activate mine.  They're stored away until someone asks for a coin I have.  So later I can sell them all and retire on a tropical island.

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Personally, I don't understand the point of having hundreds in a person's inventory.

- snip - 

If someone goes around constantly picking up other people's TB's and not releasing them, then I'd consider that rude.

If someone constantly bought more and more TB's and went around logging them in bulk but never released them, then I'd find that odd (and kind of defeats the purpose). I can totally understand not wanting to release the originals, but in that case make a proxy and keep the original in its display case at home. Get that code out there travelling the world! 

There's a couple people in these forums with hundreds of trackables out in the wild.  They need to be in their inventory.     

That's called hoarding.  If someone decides to hold on to another's property for months/years on end, they're a hoarder.

When someone shows with a bag fulla trackables, happily offering folks to Discover the pile, I ask out loud if they belong to him.

We've made a few hoarders realize hanging around may not be a bright idea that way.  ;)

Curious what "purpose" someone is defeating.  Thanks.  :)    To be clear though, I kinda agree.

- If they're simply using them as a personal mileage tracker, they could just use one...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

They need to be in their inventory.

Huh, I must have read something wrong somewhere. I've got my first four TB's that I haven't released yet which may be why I didn't know about this. I figured that an owned TB that had been dropped into a cache and now in the wild would not be in the owners inventory where it could be logged. I thought that once released, they would show up under "TB's owned" so that the owner could see what was going on and lock or take if it goes missing, but that it would be listed separately from the other TB's a person might be carrying.

That would get annoying, if someone is carrying someone else's TB from cache A to cache B but then has to scroll through all their own TB's to get to the carried one in order to drop it.

15 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

That would get annoying, if someone is carrying someone else's TB from cache A to cache B but then has to scroll through all their own TB's to get to the carried one in order to drop it.

For people who activate a lot of their owned TBs, yet don't want the TBs in play, there's a feature called the Collection.  It's an owner's special database, so that TBs can be moved out of their Inventory so there's not a huge list to scroll when making TB logs.

Another idea, if the TBs are not in play, just kept in a box at home or on a shelf, is to not activate them in the first place.  TBs do not need to be activated, and it's good to come up with a plan.