The Cache Can

JBipes

I started Geocaching in mid 2018. I purchased several types of containers to get started placing caches. Five of the containers I purchased from ShopGeocaching.com are called The Cache Can. It's a black magnetic cylinder 3.5" long by about 2.5" diameter. It has powerful magnets in the base and around the lid opening to keep it in place and well sealed shut. The website on the sticker inside the lid is thecachecan.com, but it is now unowned, and the company, i guess, defunct and out of business.

The comments I get on the caches where I have them are just great. Cachers with thousands of finds remark that they have never seen anything like them and love them.

One cacher with over 46000 finds said “Cool container. Can't say that I've seen one like that before." another with over 42000 said “A pretty nifty container, I'd say.” More than 25% of the finds on my cache with the most finds that use this container love it and are impressed by its uniqueness.  

I purchased 5 of these cans and am interested in getting more, not just for Geocaching purposes, but for other things as well . I have not been able to find another site to get them and am wondering if anyone knows where they might be found for purchasing. 

Edited by JBipes
punctuation

Found my first one of these two weeks ago up in Pawnee National Grassland area here in Colorado. 

As far as sealing goes:  We noted that the little magnets pick up any ferrous material in the soil when the can is laid down, and therefore the top/can interface must be carefully wiped before putting the 'can' back together or there's not much of a seal.  There are NO gaskets, so the device depends upon very precise machining/molding and a contaminant free interface.  Also noted that one of the magnets had fallen out and was stuck to the large magnet inside the lid, but that wouldn't have been a problem given the total count.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

The inside of the lid has the website info and a QR box but the site is dead. The ones I bought had the green geocache label shown. They are not watertight, but using plastic baggies keeps logs dry. You definitely want to be vigilant in maintaining them. Still not able to find more.

cachecan2.png

cachecan1.jpg

cachecan.jpg

I have a feeling it was discontinued due to high production cost (or at least higher than people were willing to pay). It may work if the design was simplified to reduce manufacturing costs and maybe a rubber seal was added between the body and the lid.

It may also be that they sold a fair number initially but then people complained of constant muggling from people wanting all the magnets? That's just a wild guess based on nothing...

Do you remember how much it cost? I don't see it being a terribly cheap option. As I noted in my earlier post, it wouldn't be hard to 3D print, magnets that size are cheap enough to buy online - just not sure about how long it'd last in the wild. I don't know if UV resistant filament is available for 3D printing. I don't see anybody else making them. It's also possible they took out a patent on it - would that still be in effect if the parent company folds?

• Upvote 1

Who retains rights to a company's patents when a company folds depends upon how it folds and what agreements are reached in the proceedings.  Bankruptcy, receivership, abandonment -- all different possibilities within each.

As to the 3D:  Acrylonitirle styrene acrylate is UV stable and is available.

Edited by ecanderson
On 9/22/2020 at 10:29 PM, ecanderson said:

Found my first one of these two weeks ago up in Pawnee National Grassland area here in Colorado. 

As far as sealing goes:  We noted that the little magnets pick up any ferrous material in the soil when the can is laid down, and therefore the top/can interface must be carefully wiped before putting the 'can' back together or there's not much of a seal. 

There are NO gaskets, so the device depends upon very precise machining/molding and a contaminant free interface. 

Also noted that one of the magnets had fallen out and was stuck to the large magnet inside the lid, but that wouldn't have been a problem given the total count.

We looked at these a while ago, and though looking cool, realized the same issues as you, and that it'd depend on finders to keep it clean.

- Well good luck with that...   :)

Just putting a baggie in a container with no seal simply doesn't work in all areas we've cached. 

We don't use mighty megas anymore (frail O-rings) but for the price of one of those magnet thingies,  we could pick up two mighty megas (@ 7 bucks ea.) , and have money left over for spare O-rings.

Fortunately, the climate where I have these is considered desert. Northeast Oregon gets maybe 6 inches of rain a year, a third of that in one or two summer thunderstorms. More water is used for farm irrigation in a week in the area than Mother Nature provides all year. Keeping 6them dry is not a real issue here. BTW, they disguise well, many cachers think they are part of the item they are attached to, as long as the label is hidden. I have them stuck on electrical boxes, or on outside of guardrails.