Geocoin accidentally activated that's not mine.

bartrod

25 minutes ago, bartrod said:

I activated what I thought was my geocoin...turns out it wasn't. I never intended to activate someone else's coin. How do I undo what I did???

If it is someone else's coin, then it can't be activated by you. So can you clarify what you mean by it's someone else's coin? I'm not quite understanding.

They can adopt it from you, making it theirs.

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, bartrod said:

I activated what I thought was my geocoin...turns out it wasn't. I never intended to activate someone else's coin. How do I undo what I did???

I've never heard of deactivating a Geocoin, but you and I can't do that.  You could write to HQ and ask:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/

If there aren't any logs, maybe?

But what would prevent the Geocoin from being activated again?  Was is simply a coin the owner showed you?  If it is to be shown at all with the Tracking Code in view, it would be good to activate it.  Now that it is activated you could adopt it to the owner as Max and 99 mentioned:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=41&pgid=249

It would remain activated, but once adopted, all is in order.

Edited by kunarion

Without any other information ... my assumption is that bartrod went to activate their shiny new geocoin, entered the code off the coin, entered the activation code and then it's come up with something different (maybe they have a dinosaur coin and the site came up with "your CITO coin is activated"), prompting bartrod to double check the geocoin and noticed that (for example) the code was 132 and instead accidentally typed in 123. Hence, activated someone else's geocoin (or possibly an unsold geocoin).

If that's the case (or similar) then as kunarion suggested, you'll need to contact HQ. I doubt anyone else will be able to help.

10 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

Without any other information ... my assumption is that bartrod went to activate their shiny new geocoin, entered the code off the coin, entered the activation code and then it's come up with something different (maybe they have a dinosaur coin and the site came up with "your CITO coin is activated"), prompting bartrod to double check the geocoin and noticed that (for example) the code was 132 and instead accidentally typed in 123. Hence, activated someone else's geocoin (or possibly an unsold geocoin).

If that's the case (or similar) then as kunarion suggested, you'll need to contact HQ. I doubt anyone else will be able to help.

That's a good guess! Hopefully the OP will return to fill us in.

35 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

That's a good catch!  Makes more sense than what I thought of.  It could be more likely to activate the wrong one by accident if it's one of a particular design, when they have the same prefix, the first two letters the same on all of them.  Usually the activation code is different for different designs, so I'm guessing both are the same design.

Unless the other owner tries to activate it, it will be tough to know whose coin the number is from.  I have about 100 Geocoins and tags unactivated, from various places and just stored, and I sometimes wonder if I should search each one's tracking number (especially when there are threads like this :cute:) to see if any have become activated.  But I've put that off until someday when I plan to sell or trade one.