Need help getting back in to caching with setting up Garmin GPS

AlmondEyes

I’ve no clue how people cache without a Window’s computer.  I don’t have one, just an old iPad.  I’ve been out of caching for many years but would like to get back to it now.  I had an Oregon 450 that kept giving me issues, so I gave up caching years ago.  Wonder if someone else could get it running.

Recently I bought a GPSmap 64SX, paid for an upgraded membership here, and need someone’s help who can use their computer to update what ever software needs updated in this GPS plus download a bunch of caches to it using my account.  I’m in the Bensalem area of Bucks County, Pa, but will travel to someone’s place within 45 minutes from here.  I thought I could use a library’s computer, but they’re blocking that Garmin program from downloading now, so I’m stuck!

I’m not a facebook user; it seems the message boards here are dead like message boards on other platforms started dying when facebook got popular.  Would anyone here be able to help me or put me in touch with someone who would help?  

You're correct about most sites enjoyed years ago.  All I used to play on went to faceboook too.  :)

Most people I know "restarting" today are using a phone.   They don't need a computer. 

Did you happen to get any numbers from a SEPAG or B.E.S.T. member when you were active ?   Phone A Friend used to be a big thing.

You found two last month, what did you use to find them ?  Maybe contacting either of those Co's will get you going.  Good luck.

Cerberus, it’s been at least 10 years and I don’t have any numbers.  Now that you mention SEPAG, that sounds familiar.  Wasn’t that message boards?  Does it still exist; because I could try there as well.  What is BEST?  For the ones I found last month, I loaded the co-ordinates in individually.  Just added 5 for that area and figured I’d find 2-3.  

Recipe, I do have a very old laptop with Ubuntu on it.  But it’s a version of Ubuntu that quit being supported many years ago and that laptop doesn’t even have enough memory to reformat to a newer Linux.   I actually stopped by a mom and pop computer store and left my number telling him I’d like prices on a laptop with a CD drive (may as well drag out all those old games and play them again) and what ever Windows can run Garmin programs, but don’t want bells and whistles or a high price.  He said finding a laptop with a CD is tough, so it may be a while before I hear from him.  

• Love 1

The reason I mentioned SEPAG and BEST was they're (IIRC...)  in your area. 

- One phone number would have given you a start.  ;)   I don't know anyone there anymore to get you on track.

"SEPAG" is South-Eastern Pennsylvania Geocachers.  We were at a few "SEPAG storms the castle" events.  A bit of a drive from here...

You were at one of their TB race events.   Fun times.  :)

"BEST" is/was Berks Explorers Seeking Tupperware, another group kinda close.

Both seem to be active, but I don't do faceboook either...

ETA...I still load caches manually, so that's not a hindrance.

Maybe bumping into another cacher while out is going to be your best bet.

Edited by cerberus1

Recipe, thank you..... I didn’t know you could create pocket queries from the site.  It seemed the way to download cache information from them website was from using a Garmin Express program.  I thought using that was mandatory now.  I found directions on this site for creating pocket queries, so hopefully it’ll work.

The GPX files simply need to go in the correct folder in the Garmin. Drag and drop both files (one is waypoints). 

I also have a 66s that will download the PQs wirelessly without a computer. I love that when I’m on the road without one...

I don’t use Garmin Express for anything but sync'ing my Forerunner. It isn’t needed for the GPSrs. The only thing that changed was some direct download of LOC files to your device right from geocaching.com. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, AlmondEyes said:

Do you HAVE to?  I mean, are you using an old Etrex GPS or something that is so old school?  I still have my old yellow Etrex.

We started with blue etrex legends, and they're still working as spares I loan out time-to-time.   

I have a  couple discontinued GPSrs (60csx), loading's less than 2 minutes a cache, and it's just as "accurate" as any model today.

No desire to pq whole areas, to only go after caches I'll do anyway,  it just works for me.  :)

If I was going to get into this hobby after a long time off, I'd probably use a phone.

Any modern phone with GPS is just as accurate as your 64 handheld GPSr today.  ;)

Civilian GPS hasn't change since 2000, with ten feet  "accuracy" still the average.   

Technology has improved big time, but for now, GPS pretty-much remains the same.  

Edited by cerberus1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

If I was going to get into this hobby after a long time off, I'd probably use a phone.

Any modern phone with GPS is just as accurate as your 64 handheld GPSr today.  ;)

Civilian GPS hasn't change since 2000, with ten feet  "accuracy" still the average.   

Technology has improved big time, but for now, GPS pretty-much remains the same.  

My phone is an IPhone 5s.... old for a phone and the battery sometimes drains pretty quick plus I don’t have a typical plan so I don’t have a ton of monthly data.  So using my phone was out of the question.

38 minutes ago, AlmondEyes said:

My phone is an IPhone 5s.... old for a phone and the battery sometimes drains pretty quick plus I don’t have a typical plan so I don’t have a ton of monthly data.  So using my phone was out of the question.

Some caching apps (Cachly, also the house-brand app I believe) support caching offline.  Keep the phone in airplane mode, and battery drain should plummet.  No wasting energy on searching for towers, or social apps checking for updates.  Set the phone up in advance over WiFi or a cable, as you would with a GPS unit.

• Helpful 1