Visibility: Hide Coordinates or Hide Completely

HaveBirdWillGeo

42 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Why have waypoints that are hidden completely?  Are they hidden from everyone except the CO?

The only thing I can think of is if you had a multi with a (secret) number of physical waypoints, you'd make them hidden, so players wouldn't know how many there were, but the reviewer could see them for proximity checking. I wouldn't like that multi....

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, lee737 said:
46 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Why have waypoints that are hidden completely?  Are they hidden from everyone except the CO?

The only thing I can think of is if you had a multi with a (secret) number of physical waypoints, you'd make them hidden, so players wouldn't know how many there were, but the reviewer could see them for proximity checking. I wouldn't like that multi....

On most of my multis, all the waypoints are visible but I've completely hidden the final. The only one where I've set the final to just Hide Coordinates is the one that someone logged a find after just getting to the first waypoint at the listed coordinates so I probably did that to make it a bit more obvious that there was more to the cache than that.

15 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Why have waypoints that are hidden completely?

14 hours ago, lee737 said:

The only thing I can think of is if you had a multi with a (secret) number of physical waypoints, you'd make them hidden, so players wouldn't know how many there were

Let's take a multi cache with seven stages plus final box. First one is at the listed coordinates, the next can be calculated while doing the multi cache so their coordinates are hidden. What the cachers have to do at each stage is written in the listing.

In this case no information in the waypoint list is needed. Does it help anyone if you see seven unnessecary waypoints? Do you need to see any waypoints? You know what expects you by reading the listing. I rather prefer to have "seven stage plus final" written down in the listing text then watching the waypoint list without any coordinates given...

The same works fro mysteries with riddle at home and only stage = final outside. I know that there is a box out there and surely the coordinates are hidden. So does

On 9/20/2020 at 1:17 AM, barefootjeff said:

image.png.0bc773caa490467e05bc648e3d2f314f.png

help in any way? With only one waypoint (as in the quotes image) that's okay but a useless waypoint for any stage? Please no! So better hide them completely!

• Upvote 2
On 9/19/2020 at 7:12 PM, HaveBirdWillGeo said:

is there any difference between "Hide Coordinates" and "Hide Completely" in the visibility selection. They both do exactly the same thing as far as I can see.

They do very different things, when there's text associated with the waypoint.  

There are both multi-caches and mystery where the waypoints are shown, with text or formulas for generating the stage coords. The coords themselves are hidden.

Visible

Geocachers see the description and coordinates for this waypoint

Hide Coordinates

Geocachers will see everything but the coordinates

Hide Completely

Geocachers won't see this waypoint

5 hours ago, frostengel said:

Let's take a multi cache with seven stages plus final box. First one is at the listed coordinates, the next can be calculated while doing the multi cache so their coordinates are hidden. What the cachers have to do at each stage is written in the listing.

In this case no information in the waypoint list is needed. Does it help anyone if you see seven unnessecary waypoints? Do you need to see any waypoints? You know what expects you by reading the listing. I rather prefer to have "seven stage plus final" written down in the listing text then watching the waypoint list without any coordinates given...

The same works fro mysteries with riddle at home and only stage = final outside. I know that there is a box out there and surely the coordinates are hidden. So does

help in any way? With only one waypoint (as in the quotes image) that's okay but a useless waypoint for any stage? Please no! So better hide them completely!

Agreed.  A waypoint with no actual information really there doesn't make sense.    :)

- And some COs would not want to have others know how many stages there are, so "hide completely" does make sense.

We're surprised in our area, with so much woods and narrow/unsure entrances for parking (some along a person's home...) , that the parking waypoint isn't used more often.

23 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Why have waypoints that are hidden completely?

I consider this merely a paraphrase of existing responses, but the way I'd put it is, "Because they're pointless." Some waypoints are required for administrative reasons, but they don't actually provide any information I consider of interest to the seeker, so I mark them as hidden just to avoid the clutter.